[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm trying to attach a metal rod to a hollow square bar.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_20170522_194210.jpg (2MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170522_194210.jpg
2MB, 3120x4160px
I'm trying to attach a metal rod to a hollow square bar. I plan on using the rod to rotate the bar.

What would be the easiest way other than welding to make this?
I need to ship them across the country when I'm done so want to try and do all the cutting work and have the person just assemble it on the other side.
>>
>>1181341
Drill a hole and put a pin through both.
>>
>>1181342
Tried that on another one. Drilling on a cylinder profile is really a pain and its easy to end up off center. Is that my only option? Ive seen some other designs use different methods of mounting but can't figure out what the part name is, so don't know where to even start
>>
use a threaded rod.. aka a long bolt
>>
>>1181344
The rod will be used to rotate the object. I've had issues with the nuts unthreading themselves from the rod and causing it to wobble. Friction due to pressure from nuts just causes them to unscrew
>>
>>1181342
Also another issue is the fact that the square bar is hollow so it was a bit wobbly
>>
>>1181346

have you ever seen a lawnmower? unless it's spinning @ 10000 RPM use loctite blue or red.
or use a bolt retainer (googled in 5 secs)
https://www.boltproducts.com/tinnerman/nut-bolt-retainers.html

OR use a square bolt and square mortise to create a captive bolt. are you sure you know what you're doing?
>>
>>1181358
Its not a commercial product or anything key. Its just I'm brand new to this field and really am unfamiliar with what sort of parts are available for retail, as usually I manufacture my own parts / 3d print something that does the job well enough, but I need something stronger than that this time around
>>
>>1181358
Thanks though, those seem to be what I was looking for
>>
>>1181343
File down the area you want to put the pin(s) through on both sides. Only enough to have a flat surface you can drill into.
>>
>>1181341
Use a set screw, just drill and tap a hole on one side of the bar.
>>
What size rod?
What size rectangular tubing?
How thick is the tubing wall?
>>
>>1181505
1.5mm thick tubing 20x20mm. I could change the size up, Ive only got one set currently so could change it.

The rod is an 7-8mm diameter. solid. Again, could change it up if needed.
>>
>>1181341
Use a bolt instead.
>>
>>1181346
Use a lock nut or lock washer or both. Or double nut and snug them together.

Also red? Loctight.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.