[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey, /diy/ need a bit of help here. So my grandfather(mother's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 13

File: workshop_1.png (2MB, 1104x720px) Image search: [Google]
workshop_1.png
2MB, 1104x720px
Hey, /diy/ need a bit of help here. So my grandfather(mother's side) and my father were pretty good in fixing things and doing all kinds of DIY stuff(especially grandpa). My father is a fucking drunk bitch tho, and my mother got the divorce, along with an eviction(which haven't took place yet, as my father has been away the last 2 months and we haven't received the eviction card from the court). Thing is, when we got it, I'm gonna call him and tell him to get his things. I don't want him to take any tools, but I will be forced to let him take some of them.

In the last few years he broke/sold everything with a engine. Actually, the last working drill left, is hidden in my room(there were about 8 power drills/screwdrivers), but there are not any circular saws left(5/6 of them), the only chain saw we had is dead and even a lot of manual tools are unusable. I have a workshop and a garage, so that's a lot of space for setting up the tools.

I need your advice in:
1) Deciding what I can't let him take by any means(inb4 anything/kill him)
2) What would be a good way to split the tools between the workshop and garage
3) How to fix a chain saw and a brushcutter
4) How to clean/mantain electrics and manual tools
5) A good way to orginize screws(FUCKING LOTS OF IT)
6) What can I do with a few tons of steel, a great amount of electric engines and some other things I found my grandpa has been colecting for the last 40 years

More below, just dont want to make the first post too long
>>
File: workshop_power.jpg (1MB, 2357x1503px) Image search: [Google]
workshop_power.jpg
1MB, 2357x1503px
Dead chainsaw, another 2 saws which english name I dont know(those work) and another thing I dont know how to call in english, but probably should do something with(it works, but doesnt look too good)
>>
File: tools.jpg (334KB, 1218x726px) Image search: [Google]
tools.jpg
334KB, 1218x726px
A huge mess in the garage. Most of imaginable hand tools here tho. I have a lot more sets of bits for the screwdriver
>>
File: sneaky_slavic_engine.jpg (2MB, 3360x2256px) Image search: [Google]
sneaky_slavic_engine.jpg
2MB, 3360x2256px
Grandpa was some kind of village guru that fixed everything people brought too him, and what he couldn't fix he just kept. That's why we had so many drills, saws and engines
>>
File: et.jpg (305KB, 712x993px) Image search: [Google]
et.jpg
305KB, 712x993px
Since my father began losing and selling a lot of tools, grandpa started to hide him in his room(it's a room in the garage building because he only comes by on weekends)
>>
File: scary_electric_box.jpg (1MB, 2060x2064px) Image search: [Google]
scary_electric_box.jpg
1MB, 2060x2064px
He's also been kind of a mentor for me but he's getting old now and can't help me that much(I'm 19). So I have to do a lot of things alone now, and it sometimes takes me a lot more time than it should to do some things correctly and fast enough

Is the red cable phone cord?
>>
File: onoion.jpg (1MB, 1632x2920px) Image search: [Google]
onoion.jpg
1MB, 1632x2920px
And as I said, lots of screws (this is only a small fraction)
>>
File: 1491387358766.jpg (104KB, 1000x1430px) Image search: [Google]
1491387358766.jpg
104KB, 1000x1430px
>mother divorced father
>see this as an opportunity to steal fathers shit
>OP is probably a nigger.
>>
File: 1488698641224.jpg (38KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
1488698641224.jpg
38KB, 350x350px
>>1180765
Is that a 1mm cut off disk on a bench grinder?
>>
>>1180787
it OK bro, he was using it for grinding.
>>
>>1180764
hi m8,

I've been dealing with the leftovers from my own grandfather for the last few months (even tho he passed a few years ago. My shed habit is developing with my urge to build).

He was an old carpenter and took care of stuff in his day but in the last decade or more let it go.

my advice here:
If you recognise a good brand in spanners: KEEP IT. Otherwise, they can be scrap.
Keep all hefty electric motors.
KEEP those bench grinders.
KEEP drill bits (even if blunt, learn to sharpen on the grinders)
KEEP hefty cast/forged vices
\

As far as an old man's collection of screws, nuts, bolts and washers goes... If the container hasn't already been sorted, scrap it. New screws are better materials and cheap. (just watch out for containers of 'special' bits and pieces)

>>1180784
Hey shithole, learn some comprehension. It's his mother's father's stuff.
>>
File: PanoramaWORKSHOP02edd2cut.jpg (1MB, 8905x4043px) Image search: [Google]
PanoramaWORKSHOP02edd2cut.jpg
1MB, 8905x4043px
>>1180764
>>1180765
>>1180767
>>1180768
>>1180770
>>1180773
>>1180776
holly fuck reminds me a bit on my situation (except dad got BTFO by mom so i didnt see him in years and kept all tools and things)
but the mess is similiar i had and partialy sill have
dunno whre to start
probably get all the tools together and make like inventory - like writen inventory what you have
if you have duplicates divid them between work shop and garage, then decide what tools you need where the most
put demaged, in one box, rusty in other etc. repair them when you have time
for inspiration look up youtube i got ton off inspiration from Adam Savage and other guys workshops(it will take time but if you invest a bit of it and bit of money it will worth it) som videos for inspiration
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9AqYaSRjw0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWQAYfGxsPE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OPSbF6kM9k
>>
>>1180765
Does the motor in the chainsaw turn? if so prob some fresh gas, clean carbs, replace chain and it'll be good to go. They're really simple little engines.
>>
>>1180784
>>1180807
>>1180773

The 90% of are my grandfather's and I'm a white caucasian

>>1180807
Thanks, I'll be sorting everything in the next weeks and I thought about making some space for all the engines and wait to see if I have some purpose for them.

>>1180809
Nice idea, will definitely do it. I see you have some pretty old stuff in there too, good job adapting it.

>>1180836
It does turn but holding the trigger won't make the chain move. I'll try a little bit more tho
>>
>>1180773
>dat electric
mother of christ, fix that shit already. First time I've seen a 3-phase distro 'protected' with a single fuse.
>"Is the red cable phone cord?.."
second thoughts, get someone mildly competent to fix electric - phone cord has multiple cores, that mains cable, what looks like 2-core - not that anyone in your family appears to have bothered much with the concept of earthing n stuff anyway.

Screws, as per >>1180807 , throw that shit - they invented Spax etc. few decades back - progress! -, you doing anything which requires more than two screws, you gonna buy/use new, rather than digging around vats of rusty flat-head drillslip finger-fuxorer wood screws, unless masochist. Nuts, bolts and washers, keep a bucketfull maybe, ditch rest. And dont be too hard on your old man, your own kid refusing to give you 'your' tools, thats not a nice place for any man to find himself.. he may not actually want to take anything.
>>
>>1180872
I never messed up with electrics so I don't know much. The brown and blue cables made me think it was phone cord. I'm not touching the box by myself anyway

As per my father, he spent the last year(since he knew about the divorce) ruining our lifes, actually telling us he will do all posible to make us uncomfortable in our own home(he has no ownership of the house) and threatig my mother and sister. He doesn't deserve shit and this is one of my smallest problems with him
>>
>>1180872
Thanks for the advice btw
>>
File: s-l1600[1].jpg (58KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600[1].jpg
58KB, 1000x1000px
>>1180887
>this is one of my smallest problems with him
fair enough, you'd know better - you only get one, usually, tho.
>I'm not touching the box
sensible idea - dunno where this is, but, assuming mid-Yurope:
>4) How to clean/mantain electrics..
- first, you fix that shit on the wall, no joke, prioritize this - you don't want be plugging in dodgy tools with what looks like basically unfused lines- get pic related for about 50 EUR, that would replace everything there (assuming red socket at bottom is 16A, grey socket is 32A) + bit of additional fuse expansion room for fixed lines. Get a spark to install, literally a couple of hours max, and this may allow you to the reach the age, you too can be old and stoopid.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/262710349956 (sample link for pic)
>>
>>1180807
Topkek.

Some folks have shit parents.

I grew up with a bro and his folks are junkies.

Went over there some years ago to visit some of our other family (we related by marriage now) and his tweaker dad took off spinning sideways. Covered us all including his infant son, and new truck in rocks.

I tried to beat his ass but 6 people held me down. His tweaker mom came outside screaching at us for it for some reason.

My buddy told his mom off and said u know what. I dont have parents. This is it. Told u fuckers 100 times. Wave goodbye to your grandson bitch because you will never see him again.

We fucking left.

That was 7 years ago and to this day he tells everyone they aren't his parents.

How the fuck anyone is raised like that and turns out a descent guy with a job is beyond me.

I got great folks and barely stayed out of prison...
>>
File: storage.jpg (1MB, 1280x1337px) Image search: [Google]
storage.jpg
1MB, 1280x1337px
>>1180764
to storage if you want to keep the small stuf, parts etc. go for containers, storage boxes, storage cases etc. what your money alows
pic releted i use for small stuff and stuff i need around house cases the one in picture i got big ones for 3€ and small ones for like 2 depends on store where i buy it. and stuff like nayls and screws i use the normal bins that you can see in workshops they go from like 0.40€ for the smalest one to like 1.5€-3€ for realy big ones where i buy them, they have label holder
I had like boxes from margarine and odher shit but i trow them awy these hawe a standard size and i can stock em nice and cleen
also if you want go for boxes never buy just one buy like 3 -4 at once when you fill tem buy another ones(never buy just one)
keep it simple - decide for 3-4 types you will have in workshop so it will not end up with 50 diferent boxes in diferent forms and sizes from diferent manufacturers and so on
also always label boxes...label evrithing you can
>>
Geez. And I thought I had a mess with moving back in with my elderly parents and cleaning up the mess my dad left of the house. Good luck, op.

Oddly it looks slightly more organized in some places than some of my dad's shit. My aunt said I could come over her place and go through my uncle's tools. His brother in law was a mechanic and kept his tools way way better than my dad.
>>
Anything that looks ridiculously old, keep. Antique tools can be worth a lot of money, especially if they're rare. And slavshit - IF made well - is definitely rare.

Keep anything that looks like a fucked up combo of random tools spliced together. Weird old multitools are typically worth a lot of money, especially if they have any attachments that usually get lost.

I highly suggest you organize things roughly into bins or boxes ASAP so you can really sort what's good from what's tossable.

Dump screw/nail drawers into an old trashed baking sheet (get one from a thrift shop if you don't have a spare) 1 drawer at a time so you can pick out anything special that may have gotten mixed in. The baking sheet keeps it all contained from rolling away and makes it easy to toss the rest into a bucket or whatever for disposal.

Also if he is still alive (your wording made it unclear, OP), ASK YOUR GRANDPA IF HE KNOWS OF ANYTHING SPECIAL OR IMPORTANT! The man probably has a few things he knows are very good without appearing as such. If he is long gone, sorry.
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (64KB, 615x462px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
64KB, 615x462px
> good way to orginize screws
>>
>>1184758
jar falls on floor glass evrywhere
thats why i got rid off from all glass for stuff storing
use it only for chemicals and specific stuff
>>
>>1184758
The 1970s just called. They want their dumbass "shop tips" back.
>>
>>1184758
Screws already come in a box that has the size written on it. Why do you then stuff it in to a fragile container that's fixed to the wall? What do you do when you need to work somewhere else? Bring a bunch of lidless mason jars with you?
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.