[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How the fuck do I siphon water to a higher elevation? There has

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 18

File: 1494039108475.jpg (123KB, 700x714px) Image search: [Google]
1494039108475.jpg
123KB, 700x714px
How the fuck do I siphon water to a higher elevation? There has to be away to do it without electricity or a pump.
>>
>>1180556
kneepads
>>
You can't siphon it, kinda violates the laws of the universe, but there are pump designs out there to use some of the gravitational potential energy of the water to pump a smaller volume of water up over the original location of the body of water, you just need to have water at a lower elevation than where you want it, but still higher than another location where you can dump the water
>>
Archimedes screw.
>>
>>1180566
Just remembered, they're called ram pumps. Seriously look into it, you don't need any additional energy other than the gravitational potential of the water. I have a friend who I helped set one up for, they have some property up in the mountains, and they have a natural spring feeding a small pond we pumped water up from

But if you're looking to pump water that's already at the lowest point on your land, this isn't going to work. At that point, you are required by the laws of physics to introduce energy to the system to move water uphill.
>>
What is the difference in height?
>>
File: 1495320143632.jpg (59KB, 600x954px) Image search: [Google]
1495320143632.jpg
59KB, 600x954px
>>1180556
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN9iLNHGOYI
Like this ?
>>
File: Muh water.png (64KB, 2304x1728px) Image search: [Google]
Muh water.png
64KB, 2304x1728px
>>1180682
Also if you want to elevate it just a something like pic related
>1000h in ms paint
>>
>>1180685
>tie a cinnamon roll to a hairy dick
>>
>>1180556
if you don't mind putting in some effort you can use a screw pump
>>
>>1180894
or an air pump taking advantage of bernoulli's principle. you wont use much electricity.
>>
File: archimedes.jpg (33KB, 465x331px) Image search: [Google]
archimedes.jpg
33KB, 465x331px
An archimedes' screw is a pretty cool option.
>>
>>1180556
scoop water into cup
lift cup
>>
>>1180899
This. Drive with a windmill. Or slaves.
>>
>>1180902
/Thread
>>
File: hario-coffee-siphon-next-side.jpg (154KB, 2400x2400px) Image search: [Google]
hario-coffee-siphon-next-side.jpg
154KB, 2400x2400px
>>1180556
Boil it.
Transport as vapor.
???
Profit.
>>
>>1180556
You could use a chain pump that pulls up sections of water with balls that create enough of a seal to drag the water up the pipe. You'd have to drive this with either a windmill, draft animal, or a slave boy.
>>
are you having a pool party?
>>
>>1180556
drink the water.
wait a while.
piss where you need it.
>>
>no pump
>no electricity

Slaves with buckets.
>>
>>1181151
Lots of free slave boys on manhuntdotcom
>>
>>1180556
Mass.

Coil say 50 feet of garden hose down a 1 foot slope to a water hole. Siphon. The weight of all 50 gallons trying to flow out will create a suction enough to perpetually draw from a foot below. Not sire on the math but we do this shit daily.
>>
File: ram-pump.gif (102KB, 415x294px) Image search: [Google]
ram-pump.gif
102KB, 415x294px
google ram-pumps
>>
>>1181113
Wait, what? I'm too tired to figure this out for myself, so please someone, explain this to me (preferably using a food metaphor):
Let's just pretend that the pipes transporting the steam to a higher location are perfectly insulated etc and that all the energy that goes into boiling the water can somehow be recovered upon condensing and cooling it. So, we just added potential energy to the water, without putting any in; thereby CREATING ENERGY? Seriously, how would this work? I mean it's not like steam automatically loses heat just because it gains height, so how would the total energy in this system conserve itself?
>>
>>1182143
>Boil water
>Vapor pressure must exceed atmospheric in order for water to boil
>Expansion does work on the environment, displacing the surrounding atmosphere (virtually lifting the weight of the entire column of air above it, in terms of energy)
>Steam is now buoyant and rises easily
>Atmospheric pressure decreases as it rises
>Boiling point shifts down
>Enthalpy of vaporization declines
>Less energy recovered at top than was put in at the bottom
There may be other cases involving transportation of steam up to a higher state of gravitational potential, but I assure you, none of them yield free energy.
>>
>>1180556
Follow these steps. Assuming you aren't going too far uphill

1) get long tube.
2) submerge tube fully in water.
3) cover one end of tube so as not to let air out.
4) take covered end out of water.
5) remove cover on tube at destination.

The vacuum (assuming it is greater than gravity) will move the water with minimal effort.

I learned this shit on Beakman's World as a kid and we used to use this method to drain our 55 gallon fishtank.
>>
>>1182159
He wants to go to a HIGHER elevation, not up and then down to a lower elevation.
>>
>>1182160
Climb a mountain and then bring it down to where he is trying to get to.

Do I have to spell out everything?
>>
Steven Hawkins
>>
File: SCIENCE.png (130KB, 640x333px) Image search: [Google]
SCIENCE.png
130KB, 640x333px
>>1182143
>and that all the energy that goes into boiling the water can somehow be recovered upon condensing and cooling it
This is thermodynamically impossible, but sure. Over-unity devices need to break more physics than that.

>So, we just added potential energy to the water, without putting any in
Energy was put into the steam when water was boiled. The pressure of the hot steam causes it to expand against gravity, which extracts heat from the steam. This is the same mechanism as in a steam piston or turbine, which uses steam expansion to convert heat into movement.

>I mean it's not like steam automatically loses heat just because it gains height
It actually is exactly like that. Imagine a gas as a bunch of ping pong balls bouncing around. Imagine a single particle as a single ball. In each bounce, it is moving fastest (is the hottest) near the ground, and as it rises, its kinetic energy turns into potential energy as the ball slows down. It reaches a particular altitude before falling down again and repeating the process. The mechanics of the situation are exactly the same if you add enough ping pong balls that each only moves a small distance before hitting another ball and being deflected. Kinetic energy decreases with height, and potential energy increases, assuming that the balls have reached an equilibrium distribution of energy. This is why the lower atmosphere usually gets colder as elevation increases (the lower atmosphere is usually fairly well-mixed), and the same considerations apply inside a steam pipe. The kinetic energy recovered (with magical perfect efficiency) is exactly the same as the kinetic energy expended to raise the water to a given height.
>>
>>1181101
How many GigaNiggers do I need to power it up?
>>
>>1182143
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxIs2GVsqgY
Google is only given to the elite right?
>>
>>1180556
Use a tube and place where ever youre transferring the water to lower than whatever is holding the water. A lot of youtube videos over it.
>>
Ram pump is still the answer. My godfather used one for decades on his farm.

But he is much smarter than you.
>>
>>1182143
>I mean it's not like steam automatically loses heat just because it gains height
Yes, it does. Pressure will drop as it goes up, it adiabatically expands and cools down.
>>
>>1180568
EUREKA!
>>
>>1180575

>Seriously look into it, you don't need any additional energy other than the gravitational potential of the water.

That's not quite right, it's kinetic energy from flowing water that the pump needs. Subtle but distinct difference.
>>
>>1180556
1.) Get some chloroform and capture a giraffe.

2.) Tie the giraffe upside down

3.) Make giraffe drink water

4.) Make giraffe urinate at elevation

life hack delivered
>>
File: australia.jpg (81KB, 506x338px) Image search: [Google]
australia.jpg
81KB, 506x338px
>>1180556
Easy, just move to Australia.
>>
>>1180568
The best, but I guess it would be hard to make
>>
>>1182162
>>1182162
>Do I have to spell out everything?
No, you have to read his post, all of it.
Or just try to siphon to a higher level than first tank, you'll see how it goes.
>>
>>1182143
>Wait, what? I'm too tired to figure this out for myself, so please someone, explain this to me (preferably using a food metaphor):
>Let's just pretend that the pipes transporting the steam to a higher location are perfectly insulated etc and that all the energy that goes into boiling the water can somehow be recovered upon condensing and cooling it. So, we just added potential energy to the water, without putting any in; thereby CREATING ENERGY? Seriously, how would this work? I mean it's not like steam automatically loses heat just because it gains height, so how would the total energy in this system conserve itself?

Boyle's Law. The energy doesn't increase with height, but in order to be pushed uphill the steam expands and loses temperature/energy that way.
>>1180556
>I want work to get done without putting in energy from gravity, electricity, or myself.

So look at other sources of energy. Either use a ram pump to use the energy of dropping 90% of the water lower to raise 10% higher, or setup a pump to steal kinetic energy from wind or water flow, or fuck, idk, setup something to use solar heat to evaporate it uphill.

But energy to lift water against gravity has to come from somewhere.
>>
>>1182159
Go home, you're fucking retarded.
>>
>>1182268
It's called siphoning and OP literally fucking stated in his post that he is trying to move water to a location that is HIGHER UP, not lower than the original location.

You're too fucking dumb to be browsing this board, you don't even have basic fucking reading comprehension.
>>
Step 1. Get several thousand silly straws
Step 2. Connect them together so that the joints won't leak
Step 3. Suck the water up with your mouth and spit it out at the desired location
Addendum: if you drink some of it on accident make sure to pee in the desired location too so the water isn't wasted
>>
>>1183212
I'm a bit under the weather, so I can't think of a snarky way of pointing out that the kinetic energy you are talking about is the gravitational potential energy released.
>>
>>1180556
lmao ieniemienie
>>
File: free_energy.png (24KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
free_energy.png
24KB, 640x400px
>>
>>1180899
Fun fact: they have to use these in sewage plants because they can handle solids (turds, etc) along with the liquid.

I love the Archimedes screw. It's so versatile.
>>
>>1182181
about tree fiddy
>>
>>1180556
r u gay or just a fag?
>>
>>1183958
>1way exit
It will stay shut. Unless you pump it out with an equivalent force you'd need to pump water up there to begin with.
>>
>>1184164
no man it wont, some water will dripple
learn some physics jizz...
>>
>>1184189
>physics jizz
i literally just swallowed a gallon of it but im still lost.
>>
>>1184023

>Fun fact: they have to use these in sewage plants because they can handle solids (turds, etc) along with the liquid.

Most human waste is broken up before it leaves your house, much less when it reaches the treatment facility.

The solids are generally items like trash, baby wipes, and dislodged FOG.
>>
>>1181113
You don't need to vaporize all of it, just a thin layer with a bunch of very tiny and hot inclined planes under it.
>>
File: kdzw08x.jpg (66KB, 641x500px) Image search: [Google]
kdzw08x.jpg
66KB, 641x500px
>>1181213
>>
>>1184164
>>1184208
So the energy is coming from the potential energy lost from the water dropping from A to B, as it siphons the water picks up speed and when it's going fast enough it MAY push open the one way valve if there is a sharp turn as shown. So it's plausible, but a hydraulic ram pump would almost certainly be more efficient as with such long pipes a lot of energy would be lost to friction.

If anything I would change that to have the water flow go straight up several feet above the height you want it, then back down and then when it is at the appropriate height have the flow fork, so the one way valve is down and the flow to the lower pond is at a right angle. You are fucked if the flow slows down enough that you get air bubbles in it, though, hence hydraulic ram.
>>
>>1180556
Hand powered corkscrew pump my friend like The ancients did.
>>
>>1180556
make it drop down enough to gain speed before going uphill?
>>
>>1184994
you mean like >>1180899
>>
File: AH810E47.gif (31KB, 500x353px) Image search: [Google]
AH810E47.gif
31KB, 500x353px
>>1180556
there's also the "Egyptian water lift" method... not sure what its real name is but you have a bucket on a rope and pole with a counter weight. of course you need to manually dunk and lift each bucket full from one level to the next. the counter weight makes it easier - you are just guiding the bucket of water not actually lifting its weight; saves your back.
they still use it today in a lot of 3rd world areas.
>>
>>1182351
But h20 (G) has a lower density than O2 and N2
>>
>>1183429
Could this work with gasses that have a lower density that the air around them through buoyancy
>>
>>1185012
Yep. not as efficient as the archimedes screw but much easier to manufacture. Also, it still takes effort to pull the bucket down because to work right the counterweight is heavier than an empty bucket. Still, pulling down is an easier motion on your back than lifting is.
>>
>>1185027
Boyle's law still applies. Buoyancy works because pressure drops as you go higher, less dense gasses are "pushed" up because they are expanding. The gradient may be very small atmosphere, or it may be great (methane bubbles from ocean floor), but as gases rise they expand because the pressure drops, and as they expand their temperature goes down. It's the kinetic heat energy version of a spring pushing something up and losing the potential energy of a compressed spring.

Alternatively, sometimes the buoyancy energy would be because of the gravitational potential energy of whatever is pushing it out of the way and occupying the space it previously had 'deeper' in the gravity well.
>>
>>1185023
So what? Pressure still is lower at the top, so it cools down. Then you can't get out the same energy at the top, since latent heat changes with pressure and temperature of H2O.

What you describe would require a cycle of H2O where energy doesn't conserve, the exact setup is a red herring, such a cycle doesn't exist.
>>
File: elevated pump.jpg (52KB, 1168x828px) Image search: [Google]
elevated pump.jpg
52KB, 1168x828px
>>1180556
pretty sure this works, but has obvious flaws for most practical use. basically creating a leak in a lower level flow.
>>
>>1180899
>Bob's never met an archimedes' screw he couldn't clog.
>>
>>1185200
Well, one of the biggest flaw of it is that it doesn't work, there will be no flow whatsoever, at most it sucks in some air.
>>
>>1185206
99% sure it does

it's taking advantage of how any tube with a leak can continue to function. It'll weaken the flow rate, but as long as the leak is within a tolerance (I don't know how to figure that out with math/formulas) it should maintain movement as desired.

This happens everywhere. Leaks in your garden hose, fuel/brake lines in your car, plumbing/gas leaks, etc. It's just using gravity to feed energy at the vertical drop instead of whatever method above examples use.

If this doesn't work then every hose with a leak in existence are worthless
>>
>>1185229
>This happens everywhere. Leaks in your garden hose, fuel/brake lines in your car, plumbing/gas leaks, etc. It's just using gravity to feed energy at the vertical drop instead of whatever method above examples use.

Well the main difference here that in any of those appliances the fluid pressure inside the tube is greater than the pressure outside.
>>
>>1185229
it would work if it doesn't allow the air in
think that hole is warapped with paper
paper will get wet and it will start to cry some water
>>
>>1185229
>Leaks in your garden hose,
A garden hose pushes water to the exit. In your case, it's pulling where the hole is, so it's air getting in, and fucking up the whole system.

The principle of communicating vessels is not intuitive, I give you that.

>>1185239
>if it doesn't allow the air in
So we close that hole entirely.
It can't go in and out at the same time, and at this height it's out to in.

Get a plastic tube and a pot of water and try it out if you can't get your mind around it, it should help.
>>
File: 002_1484652682.jpg (322KB, 844x1200px) Image search: [Google]
002_1484652682.jpg
322KB, 844x1200px
>>1185246
no it has to be paper so it will drip some water slowly, can you even read?!

anyway I found the solution in an isekai manga, but OP is too lazy to pump water I guess
>>
>>1184209
That's why I said etc. There is a lot that probably shouldn't be flushed down toilets.
>>1185202
Kek
>>
>>1185200
Uhhhh. Wtf with the zoomed in leak? Patch that shit and it works fine
>>
>>1185246
>>1185247
>>1185714
The idiot is saying that if you put a hole loosely patched with paper in the hose siphoning water from A to B, and the hole C is higher than either A or B, it will leak water out with capilary action, instead of sucking air in through the paper and losing the vacuum that makes the siphon work.

Also, yes, OP is too lazy. He wants to get water to siphon/flow uphill without needing to manually pump or use an electric pump.
>>
>>1185772
Being lazy can be a good thing, it could save needless resources. Besides this is possible as seen in this thread via the ram pump.
>>
File: 220px-Heron's_fountain.png (13KB, 220x297px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Heron's_fountain.png
13KB, 220x297px
>>1186033
this provides more free energy
>>
You cheap fuck just go buy a 30 dollar pump at harbor freight.
>>
File: pumpdiag.gif (4KB, 562x444px) Image search: [Google]
pumpdiag.gif
4KB, 562x444px
Ram Pump. Nothing is free though(you pay with water).
>>
>>1186125
What if they can't get electricity out there or the person is pumping a large body of water to the point where it would be very costly to use an electric pump?
>>
>>1186156
Then rent an electric generator that runs on diesel.
>>
>>1186225
op should use the water to grow bio diesel and use it to pump it up
>>
>>1186225
Wouldn't that be even more expensive?
>>
>>1186398
>RENT
how expensive do you think renting a generator is?
>>
>>1186417
remember, OP is a lazy hobo
>>
>>1186417
But you have to pay for the fuel and if it's some regular thing they need to do a none fuel pump is better for cost. Besides why spend money if you don't need to?
>>
>>1186437
Because its far more efficient. <$100 to do the job in 4 hours. Why do you think nobody else does this? you are a fucking retard.
>>
>>1186443
Depends on the job. If it's a huge body of water why not just set up a ram pump to run unattended?
>>
>>1186444
If it's a huge body of water, why not rent a high output pump for one day, and get it drained fast? Time is money.
>>
>>1186446
Especially if you're renting something. Why pay for something when you could own a non-electric pump and get it done without paying any money at all. It wouldn't take longer than renting a pump to set up and tear down. If anything it would take less time because you don't have to go down to a rental shop.
>>
>>1180556
Plants can make water travel vertically passively. Like a tissue dipped in water, the water travels up the dry part via osmosis.
>>
>>1186533
yes, capillary action can move water uphill, but the problem then is getting it out again. = more effort than pumping in the first place.

Also, plants actually vacuum pump it, using the energy of evaporating water to create the vacuum, and the capillary action effect reduces the amount of effort it takes to lift the water.
>>
>>1180682
Holy shit was does a fucking water wheel require 40+ jump shots in a 2min video fuck I'm fucking triggered
>>
File: convfefe.png (11KB, 1160x716px) Image search: [Google]
convfefe.png
11KB, 1160x716px
>>1180556
you arn't being very specific, so i drew this because i was bored.
>>
>>1186676
hahahaha look who doesnt understand physics.
>>
>>1186678
this is how we took showers in afghanistan.
>>
>>1186678
google search: "large tank of water to reach higher elevation"

literal first link: https://myelms.umd.edu/courses/969642/files/27532357?module_item_id=6128404

literally second sentence: "Water pressure is created with the weight of the water itself or by mechanical means with a pump"
>>
>>1186686
really then explain to me how the sealed tank of water would continue pumping water despite creating a vacuum inside itself? Are you telling me the mass of the water is high enough to create a cavitation bubble?
>>
>>1186676
pressure is dependent on density of water and depth. you would need to find a way to increase pressure in the left hand tank for the height to be higher than that of the right. or... lower the pressure at the top of the right hand side
>>
>>1186676
>https://myelms.umd.edu/courses/969642/files/27532357?module_item_id=6128404
>>1186678
>>1186686
>>1186693
>>1186697
>>1186724

So yeah, that is obviously false as depicted. Either it has an air compressor pumping air into the tank, so the water pressure is caused by a bubble of pressurized air, or it is not to scale and the water tank is well above where the shower faucet is.

>>1186693
You didn't finish reading.
>Only vertical height affects pressure. The size of the tank does not affect the pressure.

It's saying the way to get water pressure is either the weight of the water column = 0.43 psi per foot of elevation above outlet, or it is created mechanically with a pump, either a hand pump or electric or gas etc.

>>1186697
obviously if it's a water tower then it's not totally sealed. Alternatively, it's because an air compressor is filling the top with air. Same effect that causes Heron's fountain >>1186092 to work.

For the record, any time someone says free energy, I always want to smack them because they are conflating "small/finite amount of available energy to tap that you don't have to pay for" and "limitless power from the void from my perpetual motion machine/magnet motor/water powered engine/cold fusion etc." (Although cold fusion is iffy because there actually IS a source of energy to tap, it's just impractical at low temperatures)
All energy is finite and comes from somewhere. Anyone who tells you that there is endless energy from something and can't point you to the finite resource it is coming from is trying to scam you (admitedly, mostly the end result is either "the sun" or "gravitational potential energy from the moon"). But basically, it's either finite, or something is coming into the picture from somewhere else that is finite (but hopefully much bigger).
>>
>>1186724
jesus, what a snide, insufferable piece of shit.
>>
>>1186678
>>1186697
>>1186762
this is a simplistic drawing of the tank we filled to take showers in afghanistan. the tank was ground level, as well as a good 25 ft of the water line. this did not need to inflate into a physics debate
>>
it is simple you have to blow air into tank below and the water will come up the mountain
>>
File: 2016-11-03 10.09.50 1.jpg (148KB, 720x575px) Image search: [Google]
2016-11-03 10.09.50 1.jpg
148KB, 720x575px
>>1180556
Is this water pressurized?
How about an hydraulic ram?
>>
>>1186816
No but seriously, the only way that works is if the tank was pressurized, there was a pump providing pressure, or the waterline in the tank was above the level of the shower head. It could still have been ground level, just on a hill.
The water pipe absolutely could have been ground level, or even underground, that doesn't matter.

Every picture I could find online showed the gas powered pump/water heater generator looking thing in the background.
Thread posts: 108
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.