[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to build a 33' sailboat like this one, but I want

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 7

File: dsn-ldn.jpg (25KB, 500x323px) Image search: [Google]
dsn-ldn.jpg
25KB, 500x323px
I want to build a 33' sailboat like this one, but I want to do it for under $30,000. I can save a lot of money buying shit like fiberglass fabric from china, but can the same be said for wood? I need a shit ton of wood, but I don't know if it would be cheaper to buy it from a local lumberyard or import it.
>>
File: IMG_20170513_110411639_HDR.jpg (4MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170513_110411639_HDR.jpg
4MB, 4160x2340px
>>1180131
What other boats have you built?
What boat in particular do you want to build, i.e. what hull construction method?
Do you have the plans already?
Do you have a heated shop?
30k is good, IF you already have all the necessary tools and didn't include sails and motor in that number
>>
>>1180161
>What other boats have you built?
None.
>What boat in particular do you want to build, i.e. what hull construction method?
A Glen-L Lord Nelson, plywood hull probably fiberglassed over.
>Do you have the plans already?
No
>Do you have a heated shop?
No, but I wouldn't include the cost of renting one in the cost to build.
>>
>>1180168
May I suggest buildinga small boat first, before you jump to such a large craft?
Do you even know how you're gunna roll the hull after you're done glassing the bottom? Are you a boating enthusist or is this a bug you recently picked up?
I only ask cuz I've built two small boats.
They both came out rough, and I worked hard. You get better with each one. Glenn-l has good plans, but that's a helluva project sir.
>>
>>1180173
The thing is, it's gonna be a long-term project no matter how I do it, and I feel like it would suck dropping a ton of money building a small boat I'd never use just for the experience. Up in Maine there's a place that does boatbuilding apprenticeships that I might be able to get in on though.

This is entirely theoretical at this point, I know nothing about building boats, just some general carpentry and electronics.
>>
>>1180176>>1180176
If your objective is just to screw around then go ahead, but if you want a working boat inside a decade I suggest you get a stripped hull and outfit it how you want
>>
>>1180176
>and I feel like it would suck dropping a ton of money building a small boat I'd never use just for the experience.

small mistakes = small $$ and small time wasted

you are saving yourself dough and minutes by doing a small boat project first. trust me.
>>
>>1180176
The world is full of half finished boats because people don't realise building a boat is hard work. Really hard.

There is a saying that a really shitty boat builder makes a excellent carpenter.
>>
OP, go to TipsFromAShipwright channel on youtube and watch his whole series on building a skiff. There is a ton of good information in there for building all manner of wood boat. It'll give you an idea of the materials needed and work load in addition to structural considerations. Good guide for diy as the man, Louis, builds the majority of the thing by himself.
>>
>>1180131
>Wants to build a $250,000 boat for under $30k
>No experience, no tools, no plans, just a vague idea

Son, let me be blunt. Building a Carolina style skiff out of plywood and fiberglass, with just a place to mount a standard outboard motor will run you close to $4500 for materials and tools.
>>
File: bad plan man.jpg (49KB, 529x352px) Image search: [Google]
bad plan man.jpg
49KB, 529x352px
>>1180473
You see this right here...... he's so right.
>>
>>1180473
In what world is a 33' sloop a $250,000 boat? It's 33', not 63'.
>>
>boat thread

where the fuck can i get plans for old chriscraft boats? pirate bay yields bupkiss. i've already built a couple dinghy's and want to move on to a 20' cruiser.
>>
>>1180483
http://www.classicwoodenboatplans.com/chris-craft-special-race-boat-19-foot-1936/

Pay up ding dong
>>
>>1180488
those are just the study plans. i don't want to fork out the dough for a 40 year old boat schematic.
>>
>>1180475
You're fucking joking, right?
Plastic boats can cost that much, easy.
His point was that OP thinks he's cutting a fat hog in the ass by building it himself.

>>1180176
I lived in Maine. I actually moved there because I wanted to attend The Landing School. Never did.
If you have the resources, the people you can lean on for help, then you might be in good shape.
As for your question in the op, I would think YOU'D be the guy to talk to for wood. I'd definitely start picking up what you can tho, whatever good odds and ends you can find.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170520-184101.png (479KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170520-184101.png
479KB, 720x1280px
>>1180490
For $250 you get the plans and they are completely lofted.
If you don't understand what you get for your money, then you shouldn't build the boat anyway.
>>
>>1180495
i have free plans for other cruisers out of old issues of popular mechanics and other magazines of the same era. found tons of them online. its where i got my dinghy plans. 250$ is a rip, thats half the cost of one of my projects.
>>
>>1180475
You've not priced materials before, have you? The boat in the pic has a need for 651 sq ft of sail. The cheapest rip-stop nylon fabric would run $1200 for that. The plywood? Another $4500 if you don't go for the absolute cheapest pine plywood out there (and that just knocks another $1500 off.) The keel requires three 1"x16"x26' boards, which will run you $150 or so each, depending on what the local mill will charge you, if you have a local mill. All in all, for just the materials to make the hull (lumber, sail, fasteners, etc,) you're talking $10k.

Will it have an auxiliary engine? If not, what's your electrical source going to be, or is it going to completely unpowered? Say you get a cheapass gas generator and battery bank, you're looking at another $1000, and additional fire risk. If you go unpowered, how are you going to clear your bilge if too much water gets in?

Speaking of fire, what sort of fire extinguishers are you going to have on board? A good (not some shitty Lowes Kiddie) 20lb marine fire extinguisher will add another $150.

Cheapest marine radios are $250 or so. Wiring? Plumbing? Water storage? Food storage? Lines? Hell, the glass for your portholes?

This is why >>1180173 said build a small boat first. All of these items and more go in to building a boat. It's also why if you were to buy a fully constructed one, brand new, that size would run $250k easily.
>>
>>1180496
>250$ is a rip
And that's how I know you're a hack.

Post a pic of one of your boats.
Mine are rotting in my backyard but they are over 10 years old out of cheap home Depot ply but I can post a pic.
>Can you?
>>
Sailor here. Bluntly put no. In a new boat you'll have 30k in just rigging, winches, blocks, tracks, ports, etc.

Sails alone for a cutter like in your picture would be 5k used fair condition up to 15k for new heavy offshore canvas. You're looking at 5000lb+ of lead for the keel for ballast. That's $5k by itself. You can get a used inboard for $1500 if lucky. Ground tackle will set you back $500 at least. Electronics, batteries, tanks, pumps, switches, wire, etc etc.
>>
File: skiff.jpg (405KB, 1536x864px) Image search: [Google]
skiff.jpg
405KB, 1536x864px
>>1180131
Buddy, if you do build your boat start small, I've built a 15ft Bolger Diablo and I cannot tell you the number of things I wish I had done differently that I had no idea about when I started, granted it's not significant things but small things like slanting all of the seats slightly or having thicker fillets in specific areas, but nonetheless it still means that once you complete the boat there are apt to be endless little tasks that you have to redo after the shakedown cruise, plus paint is a bitch to get right in coastal environments it's good to have some experience before you botch a 2K$ job, .

If you were looking to get into sailing, you'd be much better off just finding a somewhat dilapidated but sturdy used boat for 4-6K and fixing it up yourself, put the rest of the money towards maintenance and slip rental, large boats consume way more cash than people estimate, within 4-5 years your going to be to be close to your 30k estimate.
>>
>>1180509
>>1180496

Same guy from >>1180544

For what it's worth I built my Diablo off of plans that were on one page in a book, you can get buy with small plans however I did have a few mistakes in cutting the plywood panels due to misread dimensions, nothing was too off that you couldn't fill and tape the gaps but it was still a pita, just cough up the cash for full sized plans.
>>
>>1180544
>large boats consume way more cash than people estimate
Could you expand on this? I know marinas charge based on size, that you need to have mechanical and electrical maintenance done every now and then, and every couple years the bottom paint needs to be redone, but does that really all add up to like 8K/year?

I'm not at all opposed to buying a boat that needs some TLC and fixing it up. I'd like to have Around 750W worth of solar panels so that I can power some luxuries like a small fridge, microwave, induction hotplate, etc. Emarine has 270W Kyocera panels for like $300 each, and I figure I could probably figure out setting up a system.

Anyone got recommendations on navigational gear?
>>
>>1180555
I'm not an expert in the subject but I have a friend that owns a Cal 35, the slip alone runs around 250$ per month which ends up being a touch over 3.5K at the end of the year once you factor in shore power and water, It's a pretty swanky marina but rates in our area are lower than most, also some may require you to have insurance which can go over 1k per year .

The other big issue is you stand a decent chance of just having random damage that happens when your underway, just last summer we were out on the bay and got caught in a freak storm when our engine died, when the gale hit we tore the main due to it's age and the roller furler for the jib took a little coaxing to get it to work so it got torn up bashing against the rigging and was pretty much on the verge of failure, we made it into port with half a sail and no engine, but replacing the sails cost over 4k for cheaper end sails. When you add this to routine maintenance such as hauling the boat to paint the bottom, (5-6k if you have a shop do it, 1.5 if you do it), and having the engine serviced ,(if you don't do it yourself), and just replacing random components when they break, which happens frequently due to salt water, you really start to hemorrhage cash on the thing, it's also not aided by the fact that tacking the word "Marine" onto anything means that you will pay 30-50% more than average for similar items.

I will admit though, it is nice to go and be able to go cruising and make a hot breakfast on a gas stove with refrigerated ingredients after a nice sleep on a bed at anchor , but you will pay through the nose for it. I personally would just sick to boats that you can trailer they're cheaper by a significant margin.

As for navigation equipment, on my skiff, I just have some paper charts and a backup on my phone, and the guy with the Cal uses an autohelm that he runs off of an off the shelf tablet, dedicated systems are overrated.
>>
Buy the cheapest wood you can find for the outer hull and anything interior if your planning bto planning to paint it anyways.

I'd only spend cash on the framing. Buy epoxy in 55 gallon drums.

Water down the epoxy with an alcohol thinner. Apply it to the weak wooden hull on both sides.

Fiberglassed balsa boats are a big thing because epoxy can turn balsa into a piece of iron. Pretty strong considering how weak balsa is.

I know its possible to build the ship with that budget but things like wiring, engine, luxuries like pillows and insulation, running water and bathrooms... Unless you /diy/ it all and have decent knowledge it'll be a shit boat.

Do you know how much 50-100 meters of chain will cost? You can /diy/ an anchor but doing your own chain is hard.
>>
>>1180555

Depends.

You can use a copper infused epoxy that'll only need scrubbing with a wire brush every year or two as bottom paint and a few coats of it will last 5-10 years depending on how clean you keep it.

You can make boats be cheap but you make up for that by doing the maintenance yourself.

Kinda like how you save money by putting on your own tires, changing your battery yourself, etc
>>
>>1180583
>dedicated systems are overrated.
Not if you're going to be making blue-water passages or navigating in treacherous waters.
>>
>>1180661
The phrase "Dedicated systems" was perhaps a poor choice, "Cheaper redundant systems" would have been better, specifically with navigation rather than buying an expensive chart plotter I can buy two or even three generic android tablets and have them run navionics, you just get a cheap standalone depth sounder/fish-finder and perhaps a set of paper charts as well, this setup will be far cheaper than the "Dedicated" chart plotter and you have far more redundancy to boot. It's the same reason why I'd rather have four cheap plastic bulge pumps on independent circuits than a really nice bronze one, the cheaper option allows you to have significantly more redundancy, if something breaks it's not an issue.
>>
>>1180884
Fair enough. It's still worth it to get the real thing if you're going to be doing serious sailing, though.
>>
>>1180173
I'm giving the same advice.

I'd start out with a tiny little thing, to learn on. This boat looks really really simple.

http://duckworksbbs.com/plans/messer/nuthatch8/index.htm

I had read a few books on building stitch and glue boats, had some wood, and a free weekend. It was just going to be a little test, so I used the paper craft PDF model on that page for building it, scaled down a little to be cut from several scraps and extras I already had.

With the help of someone who has since become a professional carpenter, it took almost two months, and we never even did the gunwales, or finish glassing it. We glasses the seems, put in seats, sealed the hull, and stubbornly sailed it once, to finish the project.

I still want to build a big boat, but at least know I know what I'm getting into.

For $300,000, you can definitely build that boat, with practice. For less, it would be with a lot of luck.
>>
>>1180131
Almost always cheaper from local lumber yard. Can get about a 40,000 pound load shipped in us for a buck a mile.

Consider a fiberglass chopper gun. Fuck expensive but may actually save u money in the long run. Is how the pros do it.

Essentially it is a spray paint gun but for chopped fiberglass mat and resin. You just spray the shit on and let dry however many coats u need.

Youtube it.

Hell, there is actually yacht builder here sometimes.

Hes what got me interested.

You can freelance boat repair and fiberglass saltwater tanks patchwork if u build a mobile van or truck.

Watch the fumes and dont get thst shit on u.

Too much hardner and u could firebomb your shit.

Beem there
>>
>>1180168
Yeah. Fiberglass needs to be warm climate to set up. I tried thst shit in winter amd it took 4 months. Dont add extra hardner to fight cold temps. Find warmer temps or fuckoff with it.
>>
>>1180200
This. Over new construction always. Thin layer of repair over old fiberglass form and modify to your needs saves dickloads of glass
>>
a good resource would be the woodenboat forum. lots of projects. they can really show just how extensive these builds can be.
probably the cheapest way to build your hull would be strip plank. ply is actually fucking expensive.
dont forget once hull is built your costs are only gonna go up with deck, superstructure, interior fit out, and the sailing rig..oh boy that rig is gonna cost ya.
if you're reeeaaallly serious about building a cheap boat. look at george buehler designs.

personally i agree with the other guys here. build a small boat first. or i've seen it where some people build an accurate scale model of their build from scratch so they can fully understand the build. this will also give you a great appreciation of the complexities of the build.
>>
File: images (3).jpg (6KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
images (3).jpg
6KB, 225x225px
Op wants to make a literal Chinese Junk
>>
>>1180161
rigging is gon be expensive af too
>>
>>1180131
If buying a sailboat is considered a money pit, then what is this? A money forest fire? A money genocide?
>>
>>1181943
Buying a sailboat is only a money pit if you buy one that is way too expensive and don't sail it.

It's actually quite a bit cheaper to live on a boat than on land.
>>
>>1181943
Buddy I know who dealt in repairs for boats at the various marinas on Lake Murray in SC said boat was an acronym for "break out another thousand."

Oh, you didn't put in new zincs when your maintenance guy said you should? Guess what! You now need two new props!

Oh, you didn't activate your blowers for your engine before firing them up, and you had a small fire in the engine compartment? Guess what! You now need all new wiring if not more!

Oh, your dumb ass ran aground on a hidden sandbar because you were using four year old charts instead of getting them updated, or better, getting a nav system that takes automatic updates? GUESS WHAT!

Etc etc etc
>>
Anyone know where one might find plans for a chasse-marée or a lugger/hoy? I don't intend to build it soon, but would like to be able to study the plans whilst working on smaller projects, and ideally a skiff/dinghie.
>>
File: navionics.png (732KB, 1269x855px) Image search: [Google]
navionics.png
732KB, 1269x855px
>>1180661
Define treacherous waters.
Navigating in pic related areas.
Equipment:
Radar
Paper charts
(Powerful) flashlight

Speed of boat was around 35 knots and usually we drove at night because of autumn/winter.
>>
You cannot and will not be able to build a 33 foot boat with that small of a budget.
>>
Protip, bud: just go on Craigslist in the early fall. That's divorce season, and all the aging yuppies have to sell off their shit to pay attorneys. I've seen several small yachts go for under 10 grand, and some older fixer uppers are free to anyone who can haul it away. Only thing that stopped me a few times is having nowhere to keep the fucking thing.
>>
Real boatbuilding forums exist, OP. That you ask here means you didn't fucking bother to internet.

Go learn from a pro as a helper or apprentice or whatever THEN decide if you REALLY want to build vs restore. Used boats are cheap in winter.

Unless you are fiercely dedicated to learning every aspect of building and sailing you won't be effective, but you can do it if you are utterly determined and have plenty of money, especially plenty of money.

Muh science teacher in HS was a WWII merchant mariner, did over thirty years in the Navy including time as a diver, and was a Tall Ship captain. That's the kind of personal drive ya need.
>>
>>1180131
Have you ever sailed? Maybe try playing with a $5,000 trimaran in shallow waters?
>>
>>1183393
ayyy a local with same interests on diy ayyyyy
>>
>>1180131

I recommend starting smaller.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Canoecraft/videos
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.