[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've been reading about olde tymie construction methods

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

File: 170px-Cabin_corner_8053.jpg (14KB, 170x227px) Image search: [Google]
170px-Cabin_corner_8053.jpg
14KB, 170x227px
I've been reading about olde tymie construction methods with heavy timbers, log cabins and suchlike what I keep wondering is how do you move the fucking logs? They look heavy as hell.
>>
>>1179034
Man, if only there was some kind of online source for videos where you could see a log house being built!

Oh, wait.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3J5wkJFJzE
>>
Slave labor.
>>
>>1179034
Pulley on a frame
>>
>>/fit/
>>
Two or Three beefy guys and a lever.
>>
>>1179034
>I keep wondering is how do you move the fucking logs?
Become a man first
>>
>>1179034
Get a bigger penis.
>>
Horse
>>
>>1179034
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYJKd0rkKss
Stop being a lady boy autist.
>>
>>1179034
>I keep wondering is how do you move the fucking logs? They look heavy as hell.
Back then men were men and used horses and/or groups of people.
>>
>>1179789
This is great.
Older guys always are full of tricks and knowledge, that they pick up along the way. I wish there were books with those trick, for example there are load of tricks metalworkers, woodworkers use, but usually they are just passed on.
>>
>>1179053
That video is so comfy
>>
>>1179034
What the fuck? You lift them? It's not that hard if you aren't a pyssy. I've built those.
>>
>>1179815
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE7QA1chUzw

toward the end o thi video the gentle man comes up with a book that was given to his father, and to me it brings up exactly what you said, this kind of thing just gets left in the past. the craftsman has a proprietary blend he only wants keep to himself or pass on to an apprentice, if he doesn't have some one to teach the knowledge is lost to time.

i understand not wanting to give away your own hard work and learning but if one doesn't have some one to pass on information to why let your skill die?
>>
>>1179815
>>1180628
There are books. They just aren't all compiled in a single place. I've got a few old woodworking and machinist books and the shit in them boggles my mind. Some of the stuff is dead simple "why didn't I think of that' stuff, while others are really complex, multistep tasks that basically allow you to do things you would think are impossible with a given tool.

Picture semi-related. Anyone know what that weird little drawer in the middle is of this machinist's chest is for?
>>
>>1180642
Storing your machinist's handbook. The book is so important it gets its own drawer in your tool chest.
>>
>>1180646
Literally everyone in the machining field knows that, the fucking drawers are even advertised as such.
>>
>>1180642
that is nice. the book in the video i posted sounded like trial and error or insider information on how to build barrels to specific volumes. one could learn it on their own but the dimensions would be invaluable to a novice and could have been lost if not passed on tho the guys dad. this isn't only barrels we are thinking of, consider the knowledge of metal or glass or stone work that took forever to re-learn, and we still don't know how stuff was accomplished now
>>
>>1180642
Yeah, those old maintenance books are fucking ridiculous. I once saw one that had a step-by-step of how to repair an elevator cable, starting and ending with the elevator in full operation.

Shit's ridiculous.
>>
>>1180648
And yet many such chests sold today don't make the drawer the right shape to fit a book in it. It is like they copied the design but decided to make the drawer more 'useful' by giving it a standard shape. That was my whole fucking point. A lot of this stuff is common knowledge to people in the industry but those on the outside looking in can't figure it out. It is not that the knowledge is 'lost', it's just hard for a lay person to find. Kind of like how these cheap shit Chinese machinist's chests just have a square, standard 8th drawer.

>>1180652
Seeing as how many parts of the hard liquor industry and the wine industry use barrels by the thousands what makes you think no one knows how to make this stuff anymore? Masonry alone has several dedicated colleges throughout the USA. Hell, my local university has an entire program just for glass blowing. Just because every town in America doesn't have someone doing this stuff anymore doesn't mean it is gone or even that it is in danger of being gone.
>>
>>1180660
then your school options are better off then mine, when i was in school the most interesting class i had was wood-shop. not long ago i was working for a contractor and when i told him that, he asked if i remembered having to learn how to cut dove tails, i told him that wasn't even taught in the class, he gave me a ration of shit like i had wasted my time, i wish i could have learned something useful but that is not the way things go.whether it is how how to properly cut parts of barrels to get the proper interior volume or how to properly form metal for a specific measurement or something else, if you can teach the next generation of craftsmen to make something without he fucking around, a lot of it is just "I figured this out for myself, i shouldn't have to tell anyone else" mentality. that kind of fucks everyone else over, maybe not now but in a hundred or a thousand years, if there is no record ine next crew has to waste time dicking around re figuring the knowledge to, not even advance the crafts but to bring them back to a basic level
>>
>>1180669
Like I said, dude, it is not gone or going away. You live in a shithole, sure, but all of the stuff is still out there. Just because you can't find it doesn't mean it is hard to find. My local university (which is a 4 year school, not a community college) has a woodshop program, metal shop program, glass blowing program, auto shop program (sadly, not ASE certified but you could pass the test after), and even a few welding classes. The woodshop program requires 4 courses where you are directly in the shop and 2 more courses of class instruction directly related to the field. Then there is a bunch of sub-requirements like math and accounting. Are they going to teach you dovetails in a single high school level woodshop class? Fuck no. Beginners don't do dovetails. It would be like teaching drifting in drivers ed. The machine shop program is 6 in the shop and then a shit ton of math. Calculus is a requirement, among other things. Most of the people that take these courses go directly into apprentice positions in local companies.

THAT IS THE KEY. Higher education takes queues on what courses to offer from three places: The state, the students, and local businesses. If a local business is a player in the area and requests a course to train people up your local college will do it. We have 2 art glass blowing studios in the area that employ close to 60 people just in the shop. We have several metalworking businesses also. Same deal with furniture making. While they don't offer these classes in the high schools anymore the university has them covered because there is DEMAND for them. Don't even get me started on how much Computer Science they offer. We are 4 hours drive from Silicon Valley. They have a whole fucking building for it.
>>
>>1180285
A crew of 4 of us builta house with a 43 foot peak. Moved each and every truss by hand. Carry truss, grab 2x4, begin argue and curse each other until truss is balence on a centipede of 2x4 several feet in the air. 1,2,3, shove truss to top of wall and run like fuck in case we missed.

Trip, eat shit, take a truss to the legs.

Stupid and dangerous as fuck. But no crane required.
>>
>>1180659
Amazing
>>
File: assault sand.png (146KB, 312x504px) Image search: [Google]
assault sand.png
146KB, 312x504px
You know how the Egyptians tipped over the pyramids? A rope, a cinderblock and 50,000 Hebrew slaves. Do you have a cinder block?
>>
>>1180869
>Are they going to teach you dovetails in a single high school level woodshop class? Fuck no.
i did dovetails in high school

our wood shop teacher was slack as fuck and basically graded us on safety and not craftsmanship but he showed us dovetails
>>
>>1179053
Love that video, so comfy
>>
>>1179053
Max comfy. This is a great watch.
>>
>>1179078
>work the lever
>nothing happens because you didn't elaborate wtf this means
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.