[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've been wanting to build a bed loft. I want to keep my

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

I've been wanting to build a bed loft. I want to keep my work area under it, and having the bed on top.

I don't normally do DIY stuff, but it's something I really want to get into doing more. How difficult would something like this be to do? I could possibly have my brother help me, who has a lot of experience building houses and stuff like that.
>>
It wouldn't be technically difficult; the trick would be making it look nice. If you just use framing lumber it's going to be ghetto as shit. Even your pic is quality boards which are expensive and require some level of craftsmanship.
>>
>>1178508
Probably gonna need a lot more tools than just a circular and drill, huh?
>>
>>1178511

You can do it with a miter saw, a drill, and a bunch of carriage bolts. It's just not going to look pretty.
>>
>>1178511
At the very least you're going to also need a pencil and a protractor or a compass.
Don't listen to anon, just take 10 minutes to plan something reasonable in sketch-up using the dimensions of the space you have available. Then buy the amount of lumber you need.
If you don't like the look, then stain or paint it.
>>
>>1178511
>>1178529
Also a measuring tape.
>>
>>1178526
>miter saw, a drill, and a bunch of carriage bolts
That describes OP's picture.

The joinery is pretty crap. But if OP is happy with the pic, That level of carpentry is pretty easy.
>>
>>1178486
>How difficult would something like this be to do?
Not hard at all... if you're familiar with that sort of thing. If you're decently mechanically or visually/spatially inclined, you should be able to figure it out without too much trouble. Getting it to look decent on the first try will take some thought and planning. Getting it to be ergonomically nice to use will too. Making it sturdy enough to be safe isn't hard if you know what you're doing, but people who don't often have bad mechanical intuition.

So draw something up and ask your brother for help. Working from an established idea, he should have tips to make it do what you want it to. We can walk you through it here, but if there's someone handy IRL, that's probably the better option. He probably has the tools you'll need too. Plus bonding time and such.
>>
>>1178486

Take a look to ikea stora roof bed. It's made of wood and pretty nice and you can take inspiration. Make sure to have enough space to stand comfortably under it.
Another really important things is that heat go up. In my old house sometimes i slept on the couch cause on top of my bed it was way too hot!
>>
>>1178486
>wanting to build a bed loft
whether this is a good or terrible idea entirely depends on your ceiling height
<2.7m forget about it
2.7m-3m can be done but you have to compromise on comfort in either bed or work area
>3m good idea
>>
This thread comes juste in time, I'm working on a similar project too.

If anyone still reading and can help me with some question, I'm wondering what thickness should the beams (and the foot) be to hold two person on a surface of 170x230cm? I'm going for 6 feet of pine beams of 44x44mm or 44x69mm, do you think this is enough?

Thank you in advance.
>>
>>1178619
>Meters
Fucking presumptuous Europeans and their uppity measurements
Speak English god dammit!
>>
>>1178486
you want a basic diagram? it's not that complicated

basically 4x4s, 2x4s, 2x8s, and 2x10s, and plywood (maybe 3/4")

>>1179453
kek
>>
File: 1493817898682.jpg (4MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
1493817898682.jpg
4MB, 3120x4160px
built this little diamond, the wood has character, because it grew in our own forrest and my father sent it to a saw mill.

planned, cut it to length, sandpapered it, so that it doesn't splinter, build it with metal plates, screws and two ankers in the wall, so there is no wobbling

Can easily hold two people on either side of the bed.

The question here is, how high is your ceiling? im at 2.4 meters, the higher the better. 1m is a sweetspot for what room you need to leave ontop the bed, maybe can spare a few centimeters but not much more, if sex is supposed to happen there.
>>
>>1179615
also, personally I use the couch to get up on the bed, way easier than making a ladder. And I thought about a railing, but after testing it was not needed, I don't roll around uncontrolled, and even then a 1m drop is not deadly.
>>
>>1179291
mine are 60x100mm and it's rock solid(no visible bending), i think 44x69 would be the minimum I would try, but your bed is still a bit bigger than mine (180x200cm) so it has to take up even more force. A friend of mine put a large and heavy thick plywood plate ontop of his bed to have a level space, but it weights a ton and is expensive as well as hard to get in this size.
>>
>>1179615
>If sex is possible there

FTFY, hard to find a woman that wants to fuck in a kid's bed.
>>
File: 1374708768710.gif (2MB, 237x240px) Image search: [Google]
1374708768710.gif
2MB, 237x240px
>>1179615
>>1179701
>giving 3DPD your dick, let alone the time of day
They were right when they said /diy/ was a massive inroad for normalfags.
>>
>>1179701
Was going to say the same thing. Loft beds are a cool idea, but you're making a serious commitment to not have any sex (in your room at least)
>>
File: IMG_20170416_201658.jpg (884KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170416_201658.jpg
884KB, 2048x1152px
Walking the walk since before you could crawl.
>>
>>1179715
NEET/10
>>
>>1179716
>NEET
That shit ain't free m8.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.