[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

To estimate how many 2x4s I need for a shelving project could

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

To estimate how many 2x4s I need for a shelving project could I add up the lengths of what I have planned then divide since the only variable is it's length?

sorry i have little construction experience
>>
>>1178247
to estimate how many 2x4s you need to add up all the lengths you need
>>
File: Wood_warping_1_.png (306KB, 1062x654px) Image search: [Google]
Wood_warping_1_.png
306KB, 1062x654px
>homo negro and blowe's carry 2×4s in lengths of 6' 8' 10' 12' 16' and studs which are a few inches shy of 8' or 9' etc (sized for house framing)
>also bear in mind a 2×4 actually measures about 1.5" × 3.5"
>get fir, pine is dicks
>avoid picrelated
>look at the ends of the boards; you want the lines to look as much like | | | | | | that as possible, don't get the ones where they curve
>bring gloves
>>
design the shelves around the lumber dimensions to eliminate waste are lots of cuts
>>
>>1178247
Generally, but 2x4's come in different lengths you'll have to work around.

Example being if you need five 3 foot lengths, that totals 15 feet. You'd need at a minimum three perfect length 6 foot 2x4's (which is unlikely, and they'll be off by an inch or so). That would be a total of 18 feet of 2x4.
If you bought two 8 foot lengths of 2x4, you'd end up with 16 feet of wood, but would not be able to cut it into five 3 foot lengths because 8 feet doesn't divide into 3.
Realistically, you would need to buy three 8 foot lengths of 2x4 to get five perfect 3 foot sections.

The solution to this problem is add a 10% waste margin to your total required length of needed wood, divide that by whichever size 2x4 you plan to buy, and then round up any fractional lengths.
That should get you in the ballpark of the correct amount of 2x4's. It may work perfectly and you'll have a few spares, but depending on your skill, you may end up short by a couple due to fuck ups.

This is how the U.S. Navy plans and estimates it's construction materials, which may or may not be how civilian construction does it, but I wouldn't know. Take the info and make your own educated decisions, but be warned, the Navy is a bunch of retards run by bigger retards, so it's entirely possible my information is retarded.
>>
>>1178348
>get fir, pine is dicks

Fir is almost as expensive as maple and red oak. If you're springing for fir you may as well go up to nice hardwood.

>>1178568
>it's entirely possible my information is retarded.

Nah, you're correct. That's how it's done in civvy trade too.
>>
>>1178583
>Fir is almost as expensive as
Depends on where you live and what is available near you. Fir is cheap where I live. So is redwood. Last place I lived redwood cost 4 times what it does here. That was three states away, though.
>>
>>1178583

In PNW no one sells pine studs. they're all fir and like 3$ for 2x4 8 footer.
>>
>>1178247
are these just utility/storage shelves like in a garage or basement or something you want to look fancy in your living room?
if for utility then pine construction grade 2X4s are more then fine to use. if fir is cheap then go for it. I have used scrap and construction site waste 2X4s and 2X3s (stuff they were throwing away) for storage shelving in my basement. works great, plenty strong. same wood is used to build a house after all so you know its fine for shelves.
>>
>>1178247

No, make a list of what lengths you need how many of, then try to figure out how you can most efficiently cut each length from the 2x4s. You will almost certainly have small cutoffs that can't be used, unless you design your project around the length of the 2x4s. Keep in mind that your saw has a thickness.
>>
>>1178247
Buy all of them and return what you don't need. Lowe's used to have a pretty lady return policy.
>>
the lengths on most runners will never be spot on, if you want to cut an 8 ft. 2x4 into 2 4 foot lengths, it will usually end up too short or too long. rather, buy a 9 footer and have a 12"ish inch scrap for future projects. hope this helps. when i plan a project i figure i will need say 8 4 foot lengths, i buy 5 nine footers and dont have to run back to the hardware store, plus you'll find an extra 2x4 in the shed will save your nuts in a pinch.
>>
what kind of shelves are you making? I have 2x2 frames with a osb top. very sturdy and cheap to make.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.