[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

> Looking at some videos about roof construction because

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 11

File: americanstylebuilding.png (2MB, 1308x778px) Image search: [Google]
americanstylebuilding.png
2MB, 1308x778px
> Looking at some videos about roof construction because I want to redo the roof on my shed(leaking and the beams have had their best day)
> Find this video

Holy shit.
Why are they supporting a building with those thin beams? My shed is like a quarter of the size and it's a double brick-wall. These walls seem so flimsy compared to the roof structure. Why do americans keep doing this?

You guys have tornados and complain but if you just build a proper wall it would all be fine.

Fucking hell:

vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGv6gzq3PO8
>>
>>1178137
Hate to tell you but if a tornado hits a stone/concrete/brick house your fucked no matter what. Its about pressure. The windows break. And once that happens the roof lifts off and the whole house if fucked anyway.

Also stick framing is very solid once all the pieces are put together correctly.

I know this was a shitty troll attempt but still quit being such a fucktard. No one in 2017 is gonna pay the ridiculous prices to have a double bricked shed.. Bricks not cheap any more.
>>
>>1178137
Go look up the mechanical properties of wood.

Bloody hell, when Europeans talk about construction its like listening to a five year old who thinks that milk comes from a "supermarket" and know nothing about cows. They're right in some ways but wrong in so many more.
>>
>>1178143
Bricks are still cheap in Europe because it's the predominant building material.

Very rarely do you see wooden/steel frame houses.

The thought of buidling a house out of wood still feels very strange to most of us.

Also, if you have decent shutters the windows won't break that easily.

But we use stone because of durability and sturdiness so we are confused why you guys don't even though you're a first world country.
>>
>>1178151
Your forgetting the part where euro has already trashed 90% of the trees while in Canada and the us we still have oddles of it.
>>
>>1178137
>eurocunt
>acting like he knows anything about tornados
>>
>>1178151
>he thinks having "decent shutters" is gonna stop a tornado from busting a hole through them and blowing your roof off...

Good meme. Tornados tear down reinforced doors... Steel jam + steel or fiberglass door. But some sheet tin or whimpy wooden slats are gonna keep your windows from imploding into your house..

Rule of thumb. Shutters are for thunderstorms and hurricanes not tornadoes or earth quakes...
>>
>>1178151
>But we use stone because of durability and sturdiness

Structures in the US are temporary due to constant development. Many areas with nice old tech homes are demolished for development so square footage matters more than overbuilding something you don't expect to live in for a lifetime. Change is constant.

Of course we should use more concrete for safe rooms in tornado alley but insurance is cheap. Why insure a mud hut? Wooden stickbuilt is easy for a three man contracting crew to build.
>>
File: IMG_6040.png (45KB, 450x178px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6040.png
45KB, 450x178px
>not understanding the basic concept of lift
>not knowing that brick homes still have wood framing for the roofs

Go back to playing with your legos kid.
>>
>>1178173
I never said anything was wrong with the roof, I was talking about the sturdiness off the walls.
>>
>>1178176
Again, what destroys houses during high winds is the force of lift, not the sturdiness of walls. Brick or not if the wind speed is high enough over the roof to create lift it'll destroy the structure. It doesn't matter what your walls are made of. Why is that so fucking hard to understand.
>>
Itt: europoors that don't have a clue about the destructive forces involved in hurricanes or tornadoes. Masonry won't save you and will most likely just steal your tomb. We're talking winds sometimes hundreds of jobs which will obliterate anything but a maybe squat SOLID concrete dome type reinforced bunker. Some shitty brick veneered pseudostructure won't help you. At all.
>>
>>1178202

Steal = Seal
Jobs = MPH god damnit
>>
>>1178143
if you have a concrete building only the roof will go. if there is no flood or heavy rain you will be fine
a wooden or brick one will collapse on you
>>
>>1178209
>thinking there will be no rain during a storm
>>
File: you will never.jpg (156KB, 1000x675px) Image search: [Google]
you will never.jpg
156KB, 1000x675px
>>1178137
Stop being jealous of our successes.
>>
>>1178217
still better than being trapped under a collapsed building when the rain hits
>>
File: nasa.jpg (68KB, 580x464px) Image search: [Google]
nasa.jpg
68KB, 580x464px
>>1178137
European here, worked 2 years as carpenter in the US some time ago.
IMHO This type of house is actually way better than ours..
>Lower cost
>If you build it right, its better against earthquakes compared to bticks or stone, I cant tell about concrete, but if I am about to get crushed by some interior wall or the roof I prefer it to be this thin roof than a concrete slab.
>Fire is the only hazard, but there is insurance companies and fire fighters where I live.
>Really easy to build, cheaper as I already said, and the maintain is okish, you can actually remove, and put a whole wall in matter of days, unlike concrete buildings where you need heavy tools etc.

That being said, my home that I live right now in, is 2 story concrete building with wood structure roof and metal sheeting. I build it myself, the thing is where I live concrete and bricks are cheaper than wood, otherwise I was thinking of building it the American way.
>>
>>1178230
funny wood would be ideal europe where natural disasters are rare and concrete in us where natural disasters occur everyday
>>
File: IMG_6043.jpg (53KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6043.jpg
53KB, 640x480px
>>1178223
Keep telling yourself that
>>
>>1178242
I don't see any metal bars, it is not concrete
>>
>>1178230
>earthquakes
It's all about the foundation. First thing is not to build on soil that amplifies the movement, I forget which is better. The second is to build a foundation that incorporates dampening devices to minimize movement. Youre right though, wood frame is a little better because it can survive more movement.
>>
File: IMG_6044.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6044.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>1178248
>>
>>1178253
Steel cables in a column????

You're supposed to use solid metal rods
>>
>>1178291
Not in a post tension structure
>>
>>1178253
>>1178291
I think thats prestressed concrete.
>>
>>1178144
>Europeans r dum lmao

You have no fucking clue mate.

>>1178249
Its all about frequency, not foundations.
Damping can be applied in all sorts of places across a structure.

>>1178253
Anything poorly designed can kill. A 2x4 falling two storeys into the top of your head feels no different to a brick.

Engineering exists for a reason and assessment of loads should be undertaken and designed for. Mongoloid contractors who "have been doing this for fourty years kid" like to think they know it all. I get the same sense from a lot of the regards here on /diy/.
>>
>>1178413
>A 2x4 falling two storeys into the top of your head feels no different to a brick.
The sound is quite different however.
>>
File: IMG_4366.jpg (45KB, 490x281px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4366.jpg
45KB, 490x281px
This is what an above-ground tornado shelter looks like.

Do you think they are made this way for nothing? Would you be safe in your brick shed if an airborne car flew into the side of it? No? Then shut the fuck up.
>>
>>1178219
>>
>>1178805
>Would you be safe in your brick shed if an airborne car flew into the side of it?
I would, being familiar with Murrican construction techniques I know that pic related is mostly styrofoam.
>>
>>1178137
he's learning from other idiots
>>
>american cars
>aluminum
>american houses
>thin ass planks and cardboard
>can punch through a wall
>american food
>vegetable oil, corn syrup, ground "meat" made from starch and fat
>american "women"
>trannies with fat injected into breasts and ass
>american "military"
>pr stint that can't beat sandniggers
>american "innovations"
>that fucking juicer from kickstarter made solely to play on the financial markets

OP it's typical, everything in the US is smoke and mirrors, cheap at that.
>>
>>1179746
>>can punch through a wall
This was really confusing as a european kid cause it never happened in real life and you wondered if it was some weird error in the filmset.
>>
>>1178137

Just so you know that's a pole building, which is one of the least expensive dollar per sq/ft methods of construction used in the US. Unfortunately it doesn't look like Windsor Castle which upsets some people.

Also when designed and built correctly, they're incredibly strong.
>>
>>1178151
>Bricks are still cheap in Europe because it's the predominant building material.
I know everyone thinks that their little corner represents the world. But the statement you made is plainly wrong when you talk about "Europe" you talk about the parts that did cut down all their trees a long time ago. In places where there is still a lot of forest people use wood for construction. Its just about what you happen to have around.
I understand you are afraid of tornadoes but they aren't that abundant in many places. The house we live in is made out of wood in - 49. Neighbours wooden house is made somewhere around late 18th century. Is cool enough.
>>
>>1178173
So what I'm getting from this picture is there needs to be a better roof design for areas that are at risk for tornadoes and hurricanes.
>>
File: Tornado roof.jpg (101KB, 607x499px) Image search: [Google]
Tornado roof.jpg
101KB, 607x499px
>>1180035
Something like this maybe?
>>
>>1178230
can you speak to the differences between foundation practices?
>>
>>1179746
It has taken me 30 years to realize all this.

Could prolly tack on consumerism/capitalism somehow. Just a big cycle of bullshit.
>>
>>1180038
Domes are the answer
>>
>>1180264
Domes are shit.
>>
File: earthquake.jpg (710KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
earthquake.jpg
710KB, 1024x576px
Brick structures have their own vulnerabilities and don't meet building codes where I live.
>>
>>1178137
>it's another European thinks he knows how tornadoes work thread
>>
>>1178151
You don't even have trees. You use brick and cement blocks because that's what's cheap over there. Try getting an estimate of how much it would cost to build a stick-built house and compare it to brick and cement.
>>
>>1180302
Why not have tensioning cables in your bricks?

>pour concrete foundation
>have eye bolts with huge washers in the foundation
>attach cables to buried bolts
>run bolts through bricks
>attach eyelet bolts to other end of cables (sized to just less than brick height) and add big washer + nut to tighten.

Wouldn't that hold it together in your earthquakes?
>>
>>1180517
***run cable through bricks, not "bolts".
>>
>>1180517
Not a structural engineer, but my impression of earthquake damage is that it attacks structures in a direction that they're particularly vulnerable to. All good buildings are built to withstand a vertical load, but it would be difficult to construct a building that can withstand a horizontal load. Taller buildings would be more susceptible this because of lever action. Joints are strained, break, and collapse.

Because it's cost-unrealistic to reinforce a building that leans, they decide to go in the other direction and dampen the force that the earthquake transmits. So they do all kinds of wacky shit like disconnect the building from the ground, or use enormous rubber bearings under a big central shaft dampened by giant springs.
>>
Traditional wooden Japanese houses were built without diagonal braces. This allowed the building to flex and wiggle during the 'quake and not rip itself apart. These were not impervious to really huge earthquakes, but generally nothing is.
>>
>>1178143
That's why we use this kind of windows shield to protect the window, I never see that on american houses
>>
>>1178158
Look at forest development in France
>>
>>1178413
>>1178429
A dude just died out in new jersey I think, anyways welder dropped a tape measurer 50 ft and it hit a delivery driver in the head. He was only out of his truck for a couple minutes to hand over some paperwork I guess, so he didn't have a hard hat on.
>>
File: 1421297835127.jpg (36KB, 300x450px) Image search: [Google]
1421297835127.jpg
36KB, 300x450px
Yes, Let's give a tornado thousands of bricks to sling around. While were at it, let's give Nukes to the middle east.

Fucking Europe.
>>
>>1178151
Maybe in your corner of the continent, but in mine wooden houses are just as common as brick. I'd expect european to know that there are tens of different countries in our continent and each is different
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.