[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So a cherry tree in the vicinity of my house broke apart this

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_20170515_124004 - Copy.jpg (2MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170515_124004 - Copy.jpg
2MB, 1080x1920px
So a cherry tree in the vicinity of my house broke apart this morning due to internal rotting, heavy fruiting, and a rainy not very dry week.

Spent several hours collecting near-ripe cherries for jam, and then spent a lot longer sawing a large piece of trunk to haul off before the local council starts breaking it down and mulching the lot to clear away. (The saw I borrowed from a neighbour and had to give back afterwards..)

So I have a 10ft long, 15inch wide 200lb log sitting at home, and I have neither the tools to really *do* anything with it.

I was thinking of making cheese-boards, just simple diagonal cuts, but that seems a little boring. Planks would be nice to make a shelf, but hard to do because it is still wet (meaning planks would warp after cutting), and I have no circular saw or modern sawtable to create accurate pieces.

Some extremely basic tools and ideas guys. My budget is $50.
>Also the log is basically sitting in a non-obstructive, but not secure place near the street. Anyone could make off with it, so my time is *kind* of limited.
>>
>>1177825
>I have no circular saw or modern sawtable to create accurate pieces.

i'd just sell it, check what the going price for a cherry log is approx and put it up for 3/4 of that, first to offer 1/2 gets it
>>
>>1177827
The tree *technically* belongs to the local council, I simply made off with a piece of it before they could assume disposal duty of it, so selling something I acquired in possible questionable circumstances doesn't sit right with me.

I wouldn't know where to start, desu, craigslist isn't very active in my town and it could be weeks before an offer came along. I'd really rather just turn the wood into something useful.

$50 could get an okay saw I suppose. Not the best, but functional.
>>
>>1177825
Maybe have a crack at carving wooden spoons, salad servers and other stuff out of it?
Cherry is a very nice timber for that and you can carve it wet I think
>>
File: IMG_2088.jpg (109KB, 553x725px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2088.jpg
109KB, 553x725px
>>1177833
spoons would be a nice thing to start with I guess.
Is a planter a good idea? I understand using wood as a pot would allow it to soak up water, but I might run into problems later with soil-mold.
>pic not related, just keeping things colourful.

Also a bad idea. A bow? As in bow-and-arrow "bow"? Is cherry supple enough to bend and apply tension to?

Would a basic hammer and chisel, and several coarse grain sandpaper be a good start?
>>
Okay, time is no longer an issue. Got it up the apartment.

At this point I'd be more worried about the reinforced concrete floor giving way than anything else.

For posterity its only 7ft long and 10" thick. Still a heavy bitch.
>>
>>1177840
Bow saw will help make it into decent lengths you can then get some wax (candle wax is fine) on the ends for long term drying of the bits you're not immediately using.
You can either go ham on the cunt with the bow saw for planks or go old school and split it with wedges and a sledge. The little bits you've finished carving, plastic bag, microwave and then you just give it bursts of 1-2 min (as many as it needs) to get the moisture out

As a timber its generally a very pretty grain and colouration, so its more decorative in that sense.
All the little kitchen-shit bits like spice holders, knife racks, the odd chopping board etc is really where its best for, outside in the elements I reckon it would probably suffer in the long term
>>
>>1177825
Holy fug, all dat glorious wood.

Cut them to length, mill them to dimensional sizes you want, stack them with air gaps, keep them from the weather, and wait 1 year per inch of thickness for them to season.

I'm patiently waiting for a few wild American Black cherry logs to season so I can make a butcher block table.

>>1177848
Just make sure it crosses several floor joists and it will be fine. It will get lighter as time goes on.

>>1177840
>bow

Yes. Use it to make a laminate bow. Back it with bamboo, ash, sinew, and/or hickory. You'd need to make it much wider than a normal bow too.

>planter

Use an insert to keep the soil from touching the wood.
>>
>>1177825
Since its still fresh wet wood you're looking at waiting a good while for it to dry before it becomes usable in terms of woodworking.

Wet wood is unstable as it cures and anything you make now will be prone to warping and cracking.

Your floor is just fine, if the floor was genuinely threated by a seven foot log then your apartment should be condemned.

You may not want to hear this but you're looking at a year or more for the wood to age and stabilize. Unless you can get the log milled, you're looking at even more time.

If you have designs on making something NICE from this then set long term goals. I.e. get a work space, proper tools, etc as time goes by waiting for a proper dry time.

The first thing you want to do is loosely wrap it in plastic. Throw a clear garbage bag under it, then over the top and tape them closed. Cut some small slits all over the bags to allow for slow gas exchange. The slower the dry the less cracks and more stable the end result. The bags are to keep it from drying out too quickly in the conditioned air in your home.
>>
>>1177869
>Since its still fresh wet wood you're looking at waiting a good while for it to dry before it becomes usable in terms of woodworking.

This.
>>
File: IMG_20170421_222809.jpg (2MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170421_222809.jpg
2MB, 3840x2160px
>>1177869
Yeah, I had a friend at the BOKU (BodenKulturUniversität) tell me I'd be waiting years for it to cure while it dries.
>If you have designs on making something NICE from this then set long term goals. I.e. get a work space, proper tools, etc as time goes by waiting for a proper dry time.
This is a nice goal, because it means I do not have to rush this. Also acquiring work materials over time is my best option right now. I'm in university myself (just started Electrical engineering) and am handy at heart so long term projects are nice to have. I'll be here for a few years so I'm not fussed, but a little peeved a won't be making anything out of it for now.

Thankyou for the advice about the bag. I have the log sitting under my table at the moment and I don't use an air conditioner (I actually refresh the air just openeing the window all day while I am out) but summer is coming so dry room-air might become an issue sooner than later.

>>1177865
Nice idea with the block table. How are you shaping the pieces into their rough shapes? Machine band saw?

>>1177861
Thanks, kitchen seems a bit full at the moment, but its a good start to be inspired from. I was thinking also of making a tiny holder for playing cards. A friend of mine made a rather beautiful, if haphazardly artificed box for MTG.
>The box in question.
>>
File: IMG_20170515_225205.jpg (2MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170515_225205.jpg
2MB, 3840x2160px
Required double-post.

The log in question.
I sorely would love to get more of the wood. It seems a shame to have these things fed to a chipper, but after sawing for hours today I have no more gall to go out and nab the whole damn tree.
>If I had a large personal warehouse, a flatloader truck, chainsaw and no legality risks, I would in a heartbeat.
>>
>>1177830
ask for permission to have it.
>>
>>1177899
Well you've got enough to make quite a bit, that's a heck of a lump of tree
The sapwood is generally bit which is discarded as its not particularly resistant to rot, the heartwood though is nigh bloody indestructible so that's sort of why it ended up in a lot of kitchen bits. Even if you dont use them at home, could make for some decent hand made gifts.

Thing about cherry is that it'll get darker over time from a salmon colour to sort of a light chocolate, pick up beautiful patinas and some bits of it might also have a nice figured ripple though it. But its generally one of those timbers which as really long, straight grains with good variation in their colour, easy to carve and very highly prized- so you're a lucky bastard.
>>
>>1177899
>Nice idea with the block table. How are you shaping the pieces into their rough shapes? Machine band saw?

I have an old 2nd hand bandsaw I'll be using. I'll be splitting the with a crosscut saw.
>>
One last thing I forgot to ask.

Should I "skin"/unbark/mill the tree first before bagging? (Not sure of the correct terminology here.)

Will this help decrease the chance of mold and allow for a more even curing?
>>
>>1177951
I would like to know this too, I have a 4ft section of oak thats 26 inches thick in my garage for the last 2 months and ive been debating de barking it or not. I sealed the ends with some kilz primer (its what i had around) am I doing this right? or am I just being a faggot.
>>
File: 1494795128415.jpg (26KB, 380x346px) Image search: [Google]
1494795128415.jpg
26KB, 380x346px
>>1177840
Do you have a weapons permit to manufacture, let alone own a spoon?
>>
>>1178049
>>1177951

Yeah. you definitely want to strip the bark at some point if you're going to be saving this wook, that's the main route that fungi and critters use to attack the wood, the bark loosens and provides a perfect environment for rot to set it. You'll want either a drawknife, heavy knife, or maybe a pressure washer for this.
>>
>>1177951
>>1178049
Side issue, I think it's difficult to dry a log without it developing radius cracks. You may want to cut it at some point before you lose control over where the checks appear.
>>
Did you post about this on facebook?
>>
>>1178136
What makes you say that?

No, only a side thread about the legality of private repurposing of public council-owned fallen trees.
>>
>>1178142
I swear I saw a post about a cherry tree falling from heartrot, people running off with fruit, and someone making off with a 7ft log after talking about how the city should be equipped to deal with it
>>
>>1177830
So you're okay with theft and profiting from theft, but not if the profit is straight cash? What kind of morality is that?
>>
OK OP I'm jealous
>>
>>1177848
>worried about the reinforced concrete floor giving way
>200lbs

That's only 3/5ths of a weaboo.
>>
File: BowSaw.jpg (216KB, 800x543px) Image search: [Google]
BowSaw.jpg
216KB, 800x543px
>>1177825
>My budget is $50.

Or the modern equivalent for about $20.

Also, better to split logs lengthwise than saw (if the grain is straight).
>>
>>1178355
I seriously doubt taking fallen wood is theft no matter where you fucking live. The Garbage men who clean it up would probably thank you for taking some of it away.
>>
>>1177830
You need to season it or run it through a kiln to bring down the water content. Firewood, for instance, is often bucked, piled, and then left until next year. The wind blows on the end grain and eventually the water content drops, as long as the end grain remains horizontal.
>>
>>1179207
He says right here it's his HOA's or whatever, so he's bothered by selling it but not by using it
>>1177830
>>
>>1179359
>run it through a kiln
That's the fast-tracked way to dry out wood, but the reason that it's particularly used for firewood and not stuff you want to make pretty things out of is that if you dry the wood out too quickly it's likely to crack all over.
>>
>>1179207
Even taking garbage is theft.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.