[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Planning to construct a wall - which is stronger? poured concrete

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 6

File: beton-gidroizoljacija.jpg (89KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
beton-gidroizoljacija.jpg
89KB, 600x450px
Planning to construct a wall - which is stronger? poured concrete or masonry blocks?
>>
>>1177801
in theory all other things being equal blocks are made out f concrete anyway, one solid pour is going to be stronger than individual parts stuck together.
in practice maybe you didn't mix it right, maybe you take too long to pour and part of it starts to go off, maybe there is salt in the ground and you don't have adequate ground layer and the moisture gets sucked from the slab or dries in the sun too quickly, maybe you don't get all the air pockets out of the form.
but yeah, in theory anyway always a solid single pour.
>>
>>1177806
Thanks! Yeah, I'm kind of leaning on poured as well. Thought of asking before I go through all the research and reading needed for one method to make sure I do it right.
>>
>>1177801
Are you building a bunker? Maybe consider some shipping container.
>>
>>1178054
OP here. I already did that. I don't want to talk about it. You're an asshole.
>>
>>1178056
>I don't wanna talk about it
Tell us, opie.
>>
>>1177801
architect here; it depends what's the purpose of the wall, if it's for keep mexicans at bay definitely concrete (just kidding I'm mexican also), if you are using solely to make a batter it can be made of hollow blocks, also if you are planning to use it as a basement you can use poured concrete, aproximately 12" thick with 1/2" steel rods in a 6" double grid... but you can also make a double brick wall isolated by the core, more or less like a sandwich: block wall-insulation-block wall
>>
Civil engineer here; don't take structural advice from architects.

As far as the wall goes, you may consider using the CMUs as in-situ forms for the concrete itself. Place a few courses and incorporate rebar in the voids. You'll need a mix that flows well.
>>
>>1178068
same architect here, that's a sound advise, my structural advise is: take this civil engineer advise because he's the expertise.
>>
File: smh.jpg (7KB, 266x190px) Image search: [Google]
smh.jpg
7KB, 266x190px
>>1178068
>>1178075
>tfw you fell for the civil engineering meme and now you're a fucking concrete scientist.
>>
>>1177801
concrete with metal fibers would be rather strong but probably too strong for normal needs
>>
>>1178066
Architects don't know shit
>>
>>1178229
you are wrong they know how to place the wall elegantly ... on the paper
>>
>>1177801
What's it holding back? Actual structural engineer here.
>>
>>1178229
/diy/ has many engineer types who are butthurt they didnt get into architecture school

>architects dont know shit

that attitude is exactly why you didnt get in
>>
>>1178068
>>1177801
>>
>>1178068

Opinions of dry stacked CMUs with surface bonded concrete?
(presuming it's just a fence, not holding back earth)
>>
>>1178239
it was quite nice watching them suffer all day long during my university years.
Now I am paid more than nearly all of them. Life is totally unfair
>>
>>1178245
good job, someone has to do the boring stuff
>>
>>1177801
Trump is that you
>>
File: 1T2Hrb5.gif (2MB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
1T2Hrb5.gif
2MB, 450x450px
>>1178340
>>
>>1178376
Jesus and THICC latinas BTFO. White is right.
>>
Just make sure you have your basement extra tall. Those extra feet are a godsend.
>>
>>1177806
why is one solid pour stronger than blocks with dowels and an adhesive? does cement not work like wood?
>>
What about a block wall, and fill the blocks with concrete? It would be easier, no rebar needed, etc.
>>
>>1178430
Crystals n shit man.
>>
Why not just drive some wide flanges and layer up some timber
>>
>>1178244

>Opinions of dry stacked CMUs with surface bonded concrete?
>(presuming it's just a fence, not holding back earth)

You need something to bond the CMUs together or else you're going to be able to just push the fence over. Troweling Portland cement over the wall means you're relying on the tensile strength of the thin cement layers on each surface, which is an issue in that cement has no tensile strength. At least if you are mortaring the CMUs together there is the opportunity for it to work its way into the voids of the CMU material in the direction of the force applied to it.
>>
>>1178195
Hey main. Concrete scientists saves me from diging my own grave. 10/10 okay with it.
>>
>>1177801
You won't fool us that easy Donnie. Man, the shit we have seen over the years.
>>
Google insulating concrete form if these walls are part of a dwelling
>>
>>1177801
Bamping cou tless bunker threads
>>
>>1178066
Engineer here.

Dont listen to architects.
>>
>>1178830
I really wonder why all the architects think they know about something out of their profession
>>
MEXICO WILL PAY FOR IT
>>
>>1178830
> Engineer here.
Scientist here.
Don't listen to engineers.

>Dont listen to architects
Except for that advice. We can agree on that.
>>
>>1178239

Project Manager here.

The reasons why architects are generally so despised is because you often run into know it all architects. In fact I don't know one single architect that understands that other people that are experts in their field are likely to know more about their field than him
>>
Standard cinder blocks with rebar staggard from a poured footer and pour concrete inside blocks. Aces
>>
File: Castle_Construction.17.jpg (58KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
Castle_Construction.17.jpg
58KB, 400x300px
>>1179294

Forgot pic
>>
>>1179296
with no horizontal bars it is not that strong
>>
>>1179318
Why is that then, the whole front and back of the blocks are doing the job of horizontal bars.
>>
>>1179377
look how they do concrete for bridges, they have mesh skeleton
>>
>>1179380
A bridge certainly doesn't distribute the same forces as a well dingus. Blocked filled walls with rebar are strong as ever for a home or basement underground.
>>
>>1179282
Can confirm.
Know-it-all architect always tries to explain how our work is wrong when I am following NEC or better.
>>
>>1179812
imagine architect wants to do something and all you people are saying are "lets do it like the text book!" like a robot nobody will be able to get anything done the way it needs to be done
>>
>>1177801
OP

You may want to use a shipping container instead of concrete. Much sturdier building material for walls, especially retaining walls.
>>
>>1177801
This is not the best place for advice trump
>>
>>1179808
not strong enough for trump's invading force of mexicans
>>
>>1179818
>text book
>code book is a text book

lol okay. enjoy your fines.
>>
>>1179845

ABSOLUTELY DO NOT USE SHIPPING CONTAINERS AS RETAINING WALLS. They are not designed to bear any loads on the faces of the container.
>>
>>1179318
I forget the actual number, but something like 2.5% of the wall (by area) needs to be rebar. So for a wall 20ft x 10ft, you need 5 square feet, or 120 linear feet of 1/2" rebar through the wall, vertical and horizontal.
>>
>>1177801
Concreter here;

Concrete is, I mean fucking duh. CMU blocks can be busted barehanded. Try doing that shit with actual concrete.

>>1178478
You still need rebar if you're using CMU with block fill.

>>1179318
The better question is why the fuck are the block filling with a coffee can. Thats going to take a fucking eternity, concrete might set up before then. And why so much rebar? Like every fourth cell maybe, unless its load-bearing or a under a window sill or something. And to answer your question, you generally dont use horizontals unless its a window/door, a bond beam etc.
>>
File: HPIM2547a.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
HPIM2547a.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>1177801
Is it just a wall or is it part of a structure?
ICF (insulated concrete forms) if you are going to live in it.
>>
>>1177801
make wall out of cob, duder. Its diy cement.
>>
>>1179818
You tell them! Stick their physics up their ass!
>>
Do a poured concrete wall. It will be stronger. Make it 8" thick and put #5 (5/8th) or (16) each way 12" o.c. Use 4000 psi concrete for added strength. I own a rebar fabrication facility.
>>
>>1182729
AMA? Why is the Chinese rebar we get now such absolute shit? How do you fuck up rebar?
>>
>>1177801
Donald, how the hell are you dealing with real estate for so long and you still have to ask how to build a wall?
>>
>>1178229
They know everything except how to not fuck up their drawings
>>
>>1183285
Work on a concrete crew. Only guy with more than a grade school education so owner always uses me to help layout and pin footers. There is a measurement error on every single print. Might be an inch, often a foot but every single one.
>>
>>1177814

Reiforce with steel if it is going to be a contention wall, and never forget drainage holes.
>>
Structural engineer here. Don't listen to architects or civil engineers. Cast in place concrete is stronger, cmu leaks like a sieve.

Architects = useful idiots. They say gay things to get clients excited about projects while violating even the most rudimentary laws of physics. When clients expresses dissatisfaction that they can't build a house that floats in the sky all for the cost of a cup of coffee, architect blames engineer.

Civil engineers tell people that water runs downhill and then demand adulation for how "smart" they are.
>>
>>1184169

>Civil engineers tell people that water runs downhill and then demand adulation for how "smart" they are.

And yet... >>1180556
>>
File: Granite-Dimension-Blocks.jpg (161KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
Granite-Dimension-Blocks.jpg
161KB, 900x600px
step up your game, faggit.
>>
>>1184179

I stand corrected on that one. I need to check my STEM privilege......
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.