[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

It is 20fucking17. Why the fuck when I buy a 2x4 isn't it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 3

File: FUCK YOU.png (84KB, 675x262px) Image search: [Google]
FUCK YOU.png
84KB, 675x262px
It is 20fucking17. Why the fuck when I buy a 2x4 isn't it fucking 2"x4"?
>>
>>1177594
Idk. Its probably some how millennials fault though..
>>
Because it's going to be a warped piece of shit that you're supposed to cut to size with tools you purchase at the same hardware store.
>>
>>1177600
Oh, cutting magically adds more wood?
>>
>>1177594
When lumber is rough-cut at the saw mill from trees, the pieces are about the nominal size. Then they are dried. During this process, they shrink a bit and usually warp. They are then trimmed down to produce the dimensioned lumber we all know and love.
>>
>>1177609
I didn't express confusion of why it happens, you forgot to mention that it also gives jigger room for the kerf that you pay for but don't get, btw.

I'm wondering why the fuck we're still adhering to sizes a half fucking inch off of their nominal size in this day and age when we know a helluva lot closer than a half goddamn inch how much a piece of wood will shrink from green sizes.
>>
At this point, convention. Imagine the fucking-with-shit that would be required to building fucking anything if all of the sudden lumber switched to be its nominal size.
>>
File: A FUCKING LEAF.jpg (53KB, 599x677px) Image search: [Google]
A FUCKING LEAF.jpg
53KB, 599x677px
>>1177594
it's because of the Canadian Lumber Standard

"2x4 CLS" means it's been planed down 1/4" on all faces

a rough sawn/pressure treated 2x4 would be true 2x4 inches
>>
>>1177594
If you need sizes to be that precise you shouldn't be using stud grade material in the first place. Just saying.
>>
>>1177594
>americans
>>
>>1177594

We use metric for our timber in the UK these days, infact practically everything building related is metric these days
>>
>>1177656
>We use metric for our timber in the UK these days, infact practically everything building related is metric these days

Sure, but we do the exact same thing of cutting down from nominal dimensions.
>>
I wouldn't mind if they just changed the naming convention to be actual size as sold. Same exact size, just marked correctly instead of 2x etc.

Changing all final dimensions of the wood up to nominal would cost the building industry a lot of money as everything is based around the dried and planed dimensions.
>>
>>1177594

Plebs. You can get full dimensional material if you stop shopping @ homo depot and go to a real lumber yard.
>>
>>1177726
That depends what kind of stock you're buying. Pine studs are always planed down and corners rounded.
>>
>>1177594

Someone doesn't understand finished work dimensions...
>>
>>1177726
home depot has some of the worst wood I've ever seen. these people need to be educated on shopping at lumberyards. plus it usually ends up cheaper if I buy rough sawn and fix it myself.
>>
>>1177730
No jackass, I understand them just fine. What I am is severely dyslexic so anytime I have to do any kind of calculation with this bullshit, I now have two numbers for each number floating around in my head which means I'm doubly fucked. It'd be enough of a pain if I didn't have to think "2=1 1/2"
>>
>>1177734

you're thinking too hard then. complete illiterates have been framing for centuries. just use relative dimensions and eyeball it, ya fuck! you building pianos or something?
>>
>>1177735
Layout is usually the easy bit. I run into the most trouble trying to figure out how much wood I need for a given project from plans, or the handful of times I rescaled plans because I wanted it in a different size.
>>
>>1177734
Dyslexia is having trouble reading, what you're describing is dyscalcula so youre likely just a bit thick, unlike your 2*4's
>>
>>1177739
>thinking you know shit about shit
>not realizing that currently dyscalcula, dysgraphia, and dyslexia are under massive debate over whether or not that they describe the same thing and whether or not there's a distinction without a difference between them
>not realizing that most of the issues caused by all three are related to the exact same brain structures
>being a tryhard and over-correcting to the point of using an asterisk in place of an "x" in dimensional lumber sizing

Fuck off retard.
>>
>>1177594
Also, no one wants to go in and ask for a dozen 12' [1-1/2 x 3-1/2]s, or whatever odd-ass dimension.
>>
>>1177624
Fucking Canadians, not surprised...

>>1177656
I'd bet you the machinery they use to produce your metric lumber is the same imperial machinery it always was. They just switched the nomenclature so it sounds metric.
>>
plebians buying standard wood sizes and not sawing, edging, trimming, and planing timber from a local wood yard.
>>
>>1177756
>1-1/2
>3-1/2
That's 1.5 and 3.5.

Seriously, what's wrong with muricans who can't into decimal? Are they trolls or what?
>>
>>1177770
duh but wat if i wan 2 1.5's? i axe for a 2.10?
>>
>>1177770
Fractions are used because you start getting into what would be hairier to recognize stuff like 3/8 5/16, and in some cases down to 1/32. It's honestly one of the few places I wish we were metric because mm is much more useful for this kind of measurement.
>>
2x4 (+/- 1/2'')

you expect to much out of wood
>>
>>1177594
>cant into dimensional lumber
https://www.archtoolbox.com/materials-systems/wood-plastic-composites/dimensional-lumber-sizes-nominal-vs-actual.html
There you go, pleb. You should know how to do board foot calculations for hardwood too.
https://hardwoodstore.com/how-calculate-board-footage
It's all really easy once you decide to stop being a bitch.
>>
>>1177748
>not realizing that currently dyscalcula, dysgraphia, and dyslexia are under massive debate over whether or not that they describe the same thing and whether or not there's a distinction without a difference between them
they are all obviously linked.
in the past it was called 'being thick' but obviously someone decided to wrap up kids in cotton wool. who cares if it has a fancy name they are still fucking thick, you can't treat them for it.
>>
>>1177748
What a pathetic angry person you are :-(
>>
>>1177780
>as if its ever +
2x4 (- .5 to .65)
>>
>>1177817
And the sissy is spotted.
>>
>>1177773
>duh but wat if i wan 2 1.5's? i axe for a 2.10?
You ask for a 3?
???
This is a Brit or an Ozzie pretending to be an American isn't it?
>>
>>1177770
>live in predominantly metric country
>work with wood that is in imperial
>use fractional system to do calculations, (1-1/2")/3 is way easier than 38.1mm/3
>save time and effort
>profit
>???
>>
>>1177734
>literally admitted to being retarded

You answered your own question, m80
>>
>>1178102
Someone doesn't know what retarded means.
>>
>>1178101
>>Profit
>>???
There is a reason why all industrial units are imperial. If the math is annoying, you just make a new unit to solve the problem. Conversions are sometimes annoying, but math is easier.
Metric is a meme that isn't even self consistent. The only merit that metric has over imperial is that gravity and mass are 1:1.
>>
>>1178193
this post is gold a+
>>
File: IMAG0298.jpg (967KB, 2304x4096px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0298.jpg
967KB, 2304x4096px
>>1177594
Silly op, is the Jews. It's always the Jews.
>>
>>1178104
as someone who suffers from the same affliction, which makes my job as machinist more difficult than it should be,
that guy is right, we are fucking retarded
you either accommodate for your own retardation, or struggle for the rest of your life blaming others for retarded shit. or you go based metric

but expecting stock/raw materials to be straight,flat, parallel, or to be exact size is the real problem here and the real reason OP is retarded. if you want something on size you either do it your self or you pay the price for exact size material
>>
>>1177760
Well. The metric shift happened well over 30 years ago. Everything is ISO and European Normative / Eurocode....so no. That's not the case.
>>
>>1177594
They used to mill the wood into a 2x4 after it was dried, but now mill it to a 2x4 before it dries, then cut it into 1 3/4 by 3 3/4
>>
>>1177594
because you couldnt lift a real 2 x 4
>>
>>1177594
Because you retards won't go full metric.

The inch is defined on metric terms anyway ffs.

>meanwhile in metricopolis, we buy X by Ymm dimensioned stock and get exactly what we pay for
>>
>>1178541
Tell you what, when we get metric 2.0 that isn't half assed and is what it claims to be, you'll actually have a point for adoption in science. But you'll never be able to solve the problem that arises when you do math/conversions with mixed dimensions (1, 2, 3)

Imperial doesn't have that problem, and all the units have utility and are deliberate.
There is always a unit that is just right for a purpose because it was made for that purpose, or the purpose was designed around the unit.

The only metric unit that I use in my daily life is millimeter and meter because dealing in anything less than an 8th is stupid, and because I can only visual yards in terms of a football field.
>>
>>1177594
I live in Norway and we actually used inches for lumber for a long time. Now we switched to mm so 2"4" is now called 48x98 wich are the correct dimension. Its now a clusterfuck because everyone over 35 still use inches when talking, and the younger guys have no clue what they are talking of. Especially when saying they need 1 1/2"x2 or something lol
>>
>>1177611
This.

What the fuck op, how fucking autistic are you?

This is like asking why we haven't gone back and redefined electrical current.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.