[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anyone taken a class at a makerspace? What was your experience

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: makerspace2.jpg (1MB, 9720x3240px) Image search: [Google]
makerspace2.jpg
1MB, 9720x3240px
Has anyone taken a class at a makerspace? What was your experience like?

I'm considering taking a welding/woodworking class.
>>
>>1177276
shameless self bump
>>
>>1177276
I thought the Right Wing Safety Squads shut those degenerate hell holes down?
>>
>>1177519
Haven't you got a rusty nail to sit on, or something?
>>
>>1177531
the reality of it is that maker spaces are gay. Youtub can teach you everything about anything, including welding and woodworking ad nauseum. Both of which can be done with cheap harbor freight tools. You don't need a $20k shop to produce quality results.
>>
>>1177548
yeah, because everyone can weld, or saw up shit to their hearts content, in the comfort of their own fucking one-room apartment, or what? They (MS) aint exactly mine either, desu, and 'makerspace' is an inarguably a wankish moniker, but, if I had one near me that had some specific tool or shit I needed? I wanted to learn some welding, in an easy going environment? Try something out before spending money on tools, etc? Maybe, just shoot the shit?

You dont need a $20k shop, agreed - but, some people have neither room or opportunity for any-fucking-thing at all, and just being a cunt about it because you aint one, or, just being a cunt about it for no reason at all? nope.
>>
>>1177552
>their own fucking one-room apartment
>some people have neither room or opportunity for any-fucking-thing at all
Not who you were replying too but they ain't wrong. The thing about being an adult is having priorities. If you can't afford a space then your mission needs to be improving your situation before trivialities like expensive hobbies. And yes, welding and woodworking and electronics are expensive hobbies. If you don't recognize that then you need to review your life choices. You are only slightly better than those irresponsible fuckwits that have kids when they can barely pay the rent. Like birth control is somehow more expensive than children. Mature the fuck up.

>easy going environment
We have two local 'makerspaces'. One is basically run by the local Uni. They donated all of their shop tools and 2 retired teachers run it. It is not an easygoing environment. It is a learning environment with a bunch of stuff that can kill you if you fuck with it. You don't touch shit until you get an education course on it. You fail a course and you have to wait a quarter to take it again. You fail too many courses and they kick you out.

The second place is a bunch of Friendship is Magic turds that either couldn't hack it in the real makerspace or want to spend their time listening to dubstep and making LEDs blink with a Raspberry Pie. Their largest tool is an HF benchtop drill press.

What are makerspaces like in your area? Fuck if I know.

>Maybe, just shoot the shit?
It is hard to talk shop when you don't know shit. So, you will either end up with a but of other turds that don't know shit and can't call you on it or people that do that you are full of shit and won't put up with you.
>>
>>1177548
>Youtub can teach you everything about anything

Especially if you never try to do it in real life
>>
>>1177276
There is only one makerspace that is close by. But the guy is a jew and likes to show off what he does for a living same with his wife that works there. He runs it for profit but also has a good list of members.I would like to join it but the guy himself makes it look like crap with how he acts.

>>1177571
This is why I want to join a makerspace. Is because Iive in a small one bedroom apartment that I cant really do shit in besides smaller projects. And fuck buying a house in this area. Most if not all of them belong in a HOA.

I also thought about starting one myself but I don't have the time because I work a lot and don't have the funding. Also finding a good enough building is hard enough and I hate every motherfucker in this city.
>>
>>1177571
Fuck off man, I've spent like $100 on jellybeans, an iron, and a scope. Electronics isn't for rich people. Anyway, you're allowed to have aspirational hobbies.

To sidestep, what if someone traveled constantly for work and couldn't carry around a welder on every plane flight? What about college students who aren't allowed to have torches in the dorms? There are obvious advantages to using someone else's tools.
>>
>>1177586
What was the point of this comment?

Are you making a joke, or have you just failed at everything you have ever tried to do?
>>
>>1177710
NotHim, but, ppl who can be dry-wit funny while being pointless, generally much preferable to those who are just fucking pointless.
Now, guess which one you are?
>>
>>1177548
I have a membership at a maker space because they have a 5' by 9' plasma table, something I would never be able to have in my home shop even if it was worth the upfront cost to me. I really don't care for any stupid leftist politics the other people there might have but until they start getting rid of tools and replacing them with dildos I will pay my membership cost.
>>
File: 1488763520948.jpg (38KB, 362x346px) Image search: [Google]
1488763520948.jpg
38KB, 362x346px
>>1177745
No, you guess which on YOU are.
>>
>>1177276
>Has anyone taken a class at a makerspace? What was your experience like?
>I'm considering taking a welding/woodworking class.

I've been a member of one since 2013. We are a non-profit. We have more than 200 members.

I always love the nay-sayers. At times the people there can be autistic fucks, but I pay for the shop, not the company. There are people who pay 60$/month to treat it as a social venue, and more power to them.

"Buy your own stuff!"

I lack the space in my house or garage to have a dedicated wood, metal, and machine shop.

I own my own table saw, miter saw, and drill press sure. I can't house a cabinet saw, a radial arm saw, a 20 inch planer, a drum sander, a laser cutter, multiple welding rigs, a bridgeport, a southbend lathe, a large wood lathe, plus an assortment of electronic equipment.

I'm not going to move to the country or buy commercial space to build a 15,000 sq ft building and pay to heat and power the thing with three phase and then spend 100k+ to equip the thing with tools, some of which I only use once or twice a year.

As for the classed YMMV. I've taken classes from retired union instructors that were great. I've taken classes from people who barely understood what they were trying to teach.

As for the politics that always bet brought up it confuses me because we have both ends of the spectrum and the middle at mine. Sure, overall the place probably leans left, it is basically a commune after all. We also have plenty of gun toting self sufficient govt gonna fail /k/ types around. Not to mention the average neckbeard anti-feminist type and the girls can make things too feminists.

The only ones who get bothered by others political beliefs are the ones who can't shut about theirs.
>>
>>1177519
Those were "diy spaces". I'm not sure why they called then that, since they are just concert venues and shitty art galleries.
>>
There's one near me I'd love to join, but they require new members to jump through so many hoops, I just said fuck it. You need to attend two different sessions, talk to some asshat, then get two signatures of people that are already members that want you to be in their secret club, then take the 5-page application to their round table or whatever, and if the vote to let you join isn't unanimous, you're not allowed in. It says on the website that joining takes, on average, three months. It's absurd! and then after all of that, you still have to pay $50/month for access. The sad part is that I'll never have access to any of these tools without them, but it's almost dehumanizing the amount of gymnastics required to join. I'd honestly rather just pay more money.
>>
File: 13247-F[1].jpg (42KB, 650x487px) Image search: [Google]
13247-F[1].jpg
42KB, 650x487px
>>1179460
$50 a month is $600 a year. In my first TWO YEARS of collecting tools, I spent less than that. Just over $500. I got a 15" Buffalo Forge drill press, a DeWalt 1400 radial arm saw, a 10" Rockwell/Delta table saw, a 10" Walker-Turner band saw, a 12" Powr-Kraft scroll saw and a 9"x30" Atlus/Craftsman wood lathe, plus all the parts and materials to restore them to tip-top condition (mostly bearings and power cords). All American made and good quality tools. All purchased off of CL or from local online auctions. You mount them on wheels and roll them around to make space. I had all of them in half of a one car garage and I made it work. Half of them I got in working condition for less than $50 each. It is by no means hard, it just takes time and patience for what you need to appear at a price you can afford.

If you can afford to pay dues, you can afford to buy the shit yourself. Plain and simple. $25 a month is enough. Only buy what you need, save up when you aren't buying and keep looking.
>>
>>1179554
I really don't have enough room for all of that shit, but I get what you're saying. I'll save up for this shit eventually.
>>
>>1177519
No, you're thinking of those homeless warehouses that are legitimate fire hazards.
>>
>>1179554
>contractor table saw
babby tier
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.