[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the best way to cut a hole in plaster and lath? I have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: maxresdefault.jpg (62KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
62KB, 1280x720px
What is the best way to cut a hole in plaster and lath? I have heard people using grinders and circular saws and jigsaws. I just need to enlarge a hole in the ceiling for a bigger bath fan that won't crack the surrounding plaster.
>>
Sawzall
>>
>>1176889
Grinder would be fine, circular saw might seem easier because of the sole plate but I never got the hang of using it upside down.
Reciprocating like a jigsaw or power saw will be a great and real fast way to make a huge mess of a hole.

Unless you want to spend the next month vacuuming figure out how you are going to do dust suppression, get a mate with a vacuum cleaner to suck up the dust.

Safety squints are of course as we all know all anyone needs for 99% of jobs BUT if you are cutting above your head (fan on the ceiling qualifies unless you are on a space station or Australia?) then wear fucking glasses because shit WILL fall in your eyes. CONSTANTLY. It's not about bits flying and hitting you at sorted and giving you a black eye it's more little bits floating down and after a few seconds you won't be able to keep them open which is a bad idea.
>>
>>1176889
>What is the best way to cut a hole in plaster and lath?
Carefully. Very very carefully.

The danger is you'll get the lathe to vibrate and plaster will detatch from it, even outside your hole. It it's small bits, then no problem. But you can have a large section decide it prefers being on the floor, not the way.

That said, I cut a hole using a sawzall. But the section was between to studs so that kept the vibrations from spreading.
>>
>>1176889
use a masonry drill to make a line of holes at the outline of the new bath fan? use a hammer to lightly break the pieces out
>>
The anon who mentioned dust wasn't kidding. Fine like talcum powder, and it will get everywhere. If you use a vacuum, be sure it has a good filter.
>>
File: Multi-Tool.jpg (26KB, 550x184px) Image search: [Google]
Multi-Tool.jpg
26KB, 550x184px
>>1176889
>>
>>1176980
damn right my nigga

git gud
>>
Rotozip or oscillating multi-tool.

Plaster fucking destroys the bits though so don't plan on using them after you get done with a few holes.
>>
Is there any advantage of plaster over drywall?
>>
>>1177002
Plaster can be used to coat masonry that isn't a flat surface. Its manufacture is simpler and less capital-intensive. Otherwise, drywall is better, which is why it's replaced plaster and lath as a wall material.
>>
>>1177002
Plaster, if done correctly, tends to be a "better" finish.

The trade off is that drywall can be done pretty well by Jose and crew in a few hours where as Jordan the plasterer will charge 2x as much and take 10x as long to finish and when you decide to run a new circuit in your wall for your new woodshop, you have to punch through the wall, hope it doesn't crack,and try to patch it so it looks decent.

Honestly the only time ever to do plaster is if you are keeping a house period accurate for historical reasons.
>>
>>1177020
To clarify before someone jumps up my ass.

Plaster is "better" in that it historically could produce a better flat finish and that it can be given texture that can't easily be replicated with drywall. It's also more sound deadening than drywall. The biggest advantage in my opinion is the hardness. Plaster is rock hard so the kids hitting it generally won't damage it whereas drywall dents. Hit it hard enough though and the shit will crack.
>>
>>1177020
to add to that... plaster also blocks sound better and holds heat and cold better. it basically a layer of cement on your wall. has some 'thermal mass' properties; obviously not as much as a solid cement (or stone) wall but much more then drywall. as with everything, faster and cheaper is how things "move forward" so that's why drywall put plaster outta business.
source: I have lived in 120+ year old house for about 20 years where all but a couple walls are still the original plaster.
>>
>>1177022
adding on to the 'thermal mass' idea. front bedroom on 2nd floor facing west. I'd run an AC unit during the night in the summer. turn it off in the morning, close door and go to work and when I come back 8 or 9 hours later the room is still fairly cool. with door open the room warms up significantly especially with the western afternoon sun beating on that side of the house.
>>
>>1177020
It's also a motherufcker for wifi and other radio devices.
>>
>>1177089
What?
>>
>>1177022
It does have slightly better insulating properties than drywall, but most plaster and lath walls had had shit or no insulation. So if you demo a wall and insulate and put up drywall it will insulate much better.

I was doing some work at a house a while back and the people decided to have it plastered because they wanted to restore it to original. I was talking to the plasterer and I've never met a tradesmen who loved his job as much as he did. He said he studied sculpting and painted houses in the summer to pay for school and the two kind of meshed and he ended up apprenticing for a plasterer. Said the field is small but that most plasterers retired a long time ago and now there is more work than he can take so he gets to pick his jobs.
>>
File: Hindenburg_burning.jpg (182KB, 1280x974px) Image search: [Google]
Hindenburg_burning.jpg
182KB, 1280x974px
I have been cutting into it for years , it sucks Dont use a sawzall . A small circular saw would be better .It will ruin a blade or two. .
>>
>>1177093
plaster is more dense than drywall, so wifi and radio signals have a tougher time penetrating it
>>
plunge cutter works good
>>
>>1176891
Done in 1
>>
>>1176980
This.

A blessing fir plaster walls.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.