[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to fully automate a greenhouse with electronics so that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: greenhouse use jpg.jpg (144KB, 550x401px) Image search: [Google]
greenhouse use jpg.jpg
144KB, 550x401px
I want to fully automate a greenhouse with electronics so that we have to go work on it as little as possible. Here's what I'm thinking:
-temperature control with a temperature sensor and exhaust fan and heater switched by relays
-humidity control with a hygrometer and humidifier on a relay
-watering either timer based or with moisture sensors in the pots. A solenoid valve opens or closes water flow, with splitters to each pot, so that all pots get the same amount of water
-nutrients with some sort of container with a mixing mechanism, perhaps a chemistry stir bar. Measure out nutrients from their bottles with strain gauges measuring weight, or flow sensors in the pipes. Open and close with solenoid valves

What else do I need to account for? Is there a better way to do any of this?

It's all going to be run off an arduino. I've got enough experience with the electrical side of it that I'm not worried, and I have a friend who'd be good with the mechanical aspects. But I don't really know a damn thing about gardening.

It's a small grow, <10 plants, all from the same seeds, in individual pots.
>>
Won't work, or at least not how you want it to.

Most greenhouses aren't heated and they'll self control humidity pretty well.

Setting all that up sounds like it'll take far more effort in terms of setting up everything to a homoeostasis (remember your conditions will change based on the seasons) than just going around with a watering can a couple times a week and opening the window in the summer.
>>
>>1176751
>It's a small grow, <10 plants, all from the same seeds, in individual pots.
so you chose to over complicate things?

gardening is not that hard
>>
>>1176791
I don't expect it to save time or effort in the long run. I think it'll be fun.

Would I be gardening at all if I wanted to do things the most efficient way possible? No, I'd go to the store and buy produce from people who grow tons at a time.
>>
the homeostasis difficulty is a good point - you may want to add some thermal mass (several large rain barrells should do it) which might be a cheaper and better way than an automatic air heating system. If you have a cool and warm water barrell (a simple heat pump like from an old mini-fridge could help there) you could do a temperature control system more like radiant floor heating than air heating. water stores heat better than air, so there would be a number of benefits

obviously what temperature your plants do best in you'd have to look up for that variety
>>
>>1176794
>fun
good luck with that

commercial greenhouses are not automated for many reasons apart from the scale
>>
>>1176854
I should mention that the green house is in the attic of my house - it's largely going to be within maybe 5 or 10 degrees of the target temperature.
>>
>>1176751
Look into hydroponics, closest you'll get to low maintenance and computer controlled environmental systems.

Automating soil growing is possible but more difficult because you have to take a lot more variables into account. Soil chemistry/nutrient rates, rate of water usage/evaporation, watering, hauling mixing and potting soil etc. These variables are more easily controlled with hydroponics because a lot of the controller systems are already developed.

Be willing to spend a lot of money on the automation.
>>
>>1176751
I've been doing a bit of research into similar things anon.

I have a bunch of in floor heating tubing left over i'm going to turn into soaker hoses and set up a timer/zoned watering system for the garden this year. I've been thinking of tracking humidity/temp/rainfall/soil moisture ect. but its just too much work to put in when all it takes is for me to walk out there, asses the soil, and decide to water or not.

I might think of having it staged, push the water button 1, 2 or 3 times depending on how dry it is, and a 12hr lockout so the kids don't piss around with it.

A little 3 or 4 valve header with some timers programmed in is nothing to set up.
>>
>>1176857
>I should mention that the green house is in the attic of my house

how does this actually work? is your roof made of a clear material?

and the 10 plants.

you're growing pot. big deal. there are lots of resources on the internet about how to grow pot. fuck off.
>>
>>1176751

If you use a timer be sure its mechanical, computer timers will fail more often than a mechanical.
>>
Automation of watering / feeding is far simpler with hydro - but if you're a gardening noob, soil is a more forgiving medium to learn on. You'll need constant airflow, but in an attic, i'd worry about night time temps, too low below 12 and those plants will go into stasis.
>>
>>1176977
There's an exhaust fan, so it's sucking in air from the rest of the house to make up for the outflow. Temperature hasn't been an issue so far. When does it start getting cold that'll be a pretty easy issue to solve with a temperature sensor and space heater.

I'm looking into hydroponics now. I do like the futuristic aspect of it, and it should definitely be easier to automate.

>>1176917
Instead of tracking atmospheric conditions and trying to factor that in you can get soil hygrometers. No calculations necessary. The thing about that is I'm not really sure what the ideal reading would be. Maybe I'd do it manually for a while with the sensors in place and have the microcontroller keep the soil between the wettest and dryest of the manual period. Or do hydro.
>>
It makes sense to automate the plumbing side but it doesnt make sense to want to micromanage it. You have to put time into gardens to care for them properly.

Drip irrigation, fed from a charged system or rainwater tank should be sufficient, can be automated, and if you're clever you can make provisions to doctor your feed water with minimal hassle.

Itll cost you money to get the right valves and pipes (you want uv rated PEX as a minimum) and even more time to get it right.

Im an ex soldier whos doing a mature age plumbing apprenticeship. 3 years in.
>>
without observing the plants there is no reason to be doing all this shit automatically, you won't know what they need.
>>
>>1176751
Weed growers in california are one step ahead of you.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.