[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I have picture related and want to smooth 3D printings (PLA

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: lortone-3a-rock-tumbler.jpg (72KB, 900x647px) Image search: [Google]
lortone-3a-rock-tumbler.jpg
72KB, 900x647px
So I have picture related and want to smooth 3D printings (PLA and ABS) with it.

What do I need to fill in? Ceramic? Steel? Sand?
>>
>>1176207
You should not use a Rotary tumbler like in your photo. You need to use a Vibrating tumbler instead. The Rotary tumblers deform the objects you want to polish. That is why all the pros use Vibrating tumblers for everything. The medium you should use is, "walnut shell." You can also use hardwood medium.

Some people just use acetone without a tumbler for ABS, but results vary greatly.
>>
File: 61R+i3voW3L._SY355_.jpg (18KB, 355x355px) Image search: [Google]
61R+i3voW3L._SY355_.jpg
18KB, 355x355px
>>1176213
forgot pic of vibrating tumbler
>>
>>1176213
Thank you for your kind answer. The thing is I already tried it with a vibrating tumbler and walnut shell because I read that on the internet. The only result after days of tumbling was my neighbors complaining about the noise. Thats why I want to use a rotary tumbler. I know its worse but at least its calm. I just need to know what medium I should use now after walnut shell didnt work so good.
>>
>>1176225
http://www.kramerindustriesonline.com/tumbling-media/hardwood-media.htm
>>
>>1176225
You might try strapping the vibrating tumbler on a wide board then on top of a rubber car tire that doesn't have the hub installed. That should take care of a lot of noise traveling through the floor and such.
>>
File: 1494576092645.jpg (19KB, 384x384px) Image search: [Google]
1494576092645.jpg
19KB, 384x384px
>>1176276
I've always had my carbon filter and fan stationed on top of 2 tires. Seemed like a good idea. No idea if it cuts down noise. It is pretty quiet. The ballast makes more noise

> grows tomatoes
>>
>>1176207
>want to smooth 3D printings
Buy a round chainsaw file and some 400 grit sandpaper. Also get some small horsehair brushes and some MEK.

PULL on all the hairs on the brush and remove as many loose ones as possible.

File the print layers off with the file, sand smooth with sandpaper. Then apply MEK topically with the brush. DO NOT APPLY TOO MUCH, you are just using the solvent as a substitute for 600, 800, and 1000 grit sandpaper
>>
>>1176590
This, desu
>>
http://makezine.com/2014/09/24/smoothing-out-your-3d-prints-with-acetone-vapor/
>>
>>1176590
The parts are too complex to use sand paper

Acetone only works for ABS if I rememeber correctly, also it doesnt looks smooth but shit
>>
>>1176680
>>1176590
How about removing the grit off the sandpaper and gluing it to the brush hair so you can still sand the fine details down using the "sanding brush"?

>>1176593
I was going to recommend that in the first post, but people have so much trouble with it for some reason.
>>
For the sound problem you need mass to dampen the vibrations.

My girlfriend tumbles rocks and when we lived in an apartment building I made a base by rabbeting some 3/4" melamine to make a shallow dish about 2x2' and about 2" deep. I caulked the edges and then poured in premixed concrete and filled it up. The side panels had about an inch of extra material to make a lip on the bottom side. I glued a sheet to the top once the concrete had set and used pipe strapping to mount the tumbler to the top.

Underneath I filled the space with tennis balls so they were able to move some, not tightly packed.

Whole thing worked extremely well as a dampener. We kept the the thing in a closet in the small bedroom which was over a small child's room. Didn't hear one complaint after I built it.

For the actual sound we just shut the closet door and it was quiet enough.
>>
>>1176680
>The parts are too complex to use sand paper
Ask your neighbors when they aren't home or the noise wouldn't bother them.

Buy an outlet timer and plug the tumbler into it. Set the timer to only run at the times that won't bother your neighbors.

Problem solved.
>>
>>1177067
My neighbours are jobless and home all day :^)

>>1177034
Thanks I'll look into it
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.