[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My local metal yard sells bars in 20 feet lengths, but will cut

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 8

My local metal yard sells bars in 20 feet lengths, but will cut in half for free.

What's the best way to secure 600-800 pounds of 10' stock in the back of my 6 foot bed? I usually buy 40-60 feet and rest it on the gate, but i'd be worried about transporting any real weight on it.
>>
>>1175997
you can't do 2 or 3 trips?
>>
>>1175997
Tailgate alone can support 600-800 pounds (think of 2 fat rednecks sitting on a tailgate at a football game).
You're fine.
Just strap it down well.
>>
>>1176012
>static load vs dynamic load
>>
File: DSC04039_.jpg (184KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
DSC04039_.jpg
184KB, 800x600px
put it in there and use a few tie-downs to keep everything in.
It's fine.

Throw a sheet of plywood under it if you're that worried.
>>
>>1175997
You can remove your tailgate if it really bothers you, though I've never had an issue. I work at a fab shop
>>
>>1176015
the fat rednecks sat down
>>
>>1175997
You say you rest it on the gate, but are you talking about in the 'up' or 'down' position?
When I haul lumber that's longer than the bed, I leave the tailgate UP, drape it over the top, then put a red flag on the end of it.
Why not do that for metal? I've never hauled metal, so I'm not the expert here. I CAN tell you that if you haul lumber with the gate down, you can lose your load pretty easily by driving right out from under it.
I had a load of railroad ties in my little Chevy S-10, and let out the clutch too fast, and drove right out from under my load. Just sayin'
>>
>>1175997
heh, I carry stuff that long in my tiny S10 all the time. I just jam one end into the bottom front of the bed on the driver's side corner and rest the other end on the passenger's side corner on top of the tailgate. I ratchet strap it down. Then I strap a red flag/cloth to it and off I go.

I've been doing this since 2002. The weight hasn't harmed the tailgate, but the tailgate "hinges" have rusted to hell and back and needed to be fixed.

If you are really concerned, you can get some 2x4s, cut them to the right length 1 inch taller than the tailgate, and stick them under the load. If you have a hole in the top end you can lash that end to the load so it remains directly under it. You might want to cup the top of the board, depending on the shape of your load. This will keep vertical pressure off the tailgate, but some horizontal pressure will still apply.
>>
>>1176282
I carry angle and sheet stock all the time and have done it your way for ~25 years.

BTW if you have a large order your metal supplier may deliver direct.
>>
I normally put one end in the back of the tray and strap them to the bar behind the cab with the excess over the roof. Same for long ladders etc.
>>
>>1175997
Best solution i ever saw....
A device that fit in the trailer hitch, and looked like a T and an L had a fucked up baby. It allowed the guy to haul long pipe with out killing his tail gate.
>>
>>1176449

Most American pickups don't come with racks behind the cab.

I don't understand why because I can carry 20ft lengths of pipe, rebar and lumber with a 6ft bed with only 6 feet of rear overhang. That's why most consumer shit comes in lengths of 8' in America, because they don't carry anything longer than the bed.
>>
File: shit_truck1.jpg (368KB, 1382x778px) Image search: [Google]
shit_truck1.jpg
368KB, 1382x778px
>>1176282
If the finish wears off either oil it or strip and refinish it.

That shit'll rust away in no time.
>>
File: shit_truck2.jpg (235KB, 1382x778px) Image search: [Google]
shit_truck2.jpg
235KB, 1382x778px
>>1176282
>>
>>1176496
Many fabricators and metal suppliers make their own custom racks. Easy welding project and totally worth it.
>>
>>1176536

You'd have to special order a pickup without one in my country.

Metal suppliers here usually use a large flat bed or dropside.
>>
>>1176525
>>1176526
Mine only had rust on that cap-looking hinge piece. It is a bit of out-of-sight-out-of-mind is why I never really caught it. I never had a habit of taking the tailgate off the truck and looking inside that.

Also, when ever there's a break in the paint, I just spritz it with some matching white spray paint. So, it never actually rusts where there's paint and it always passes inspection.
>>
>>1176223
>I had a load of railroad ties in my little Chevy S-10
>s-10
>ties
>plural
>more than one
>100lbs each

How far did you get before she crapped out?
>>
>>1176496
>I don't understand why because I can carry 20ft lengths of pipe, rebar and lumber with a 6ft bed with only 6 feet of rear overhang.

Real talk. Still, virtually anyone who actually owns a truck for the sake of utility rather than the sake of owning a truck will already have a rack. They're not terribly expensive (dirt cheap if you can weld) and they're indispensable for transporting raw materials. Beats the hell out of loading shit onto the roof of a Ford Focus station wagon like I used to, that's for sure.
>>
File: images (2).jpg (22KB, 444x331px) Image search: [Google]
images (2).jpg
22KB, 444x331px
A little off topic.

Why does no one in america use a tray on their truck. They are about a hundred times more practical; you can load things from the side, you can load with a forklift, you don't have wheel wells getting in the way, for the same truck you get more load space, slip on attachments are standard across models, don't have to worry about scratching the paint.

In Australia any ute that actually works has a tray. The only time you wouldn't get a tray is for a strait tow vehicle.
>>
>>1176663
Tons of flatbeds/trays in my area. Matter of fact my shop has one of each. I own one as well
>>
File: IMG_7124.jpg (94KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7124.jpg
94KB, 600x600px
Build a headache rack.
Cut the bars in half (10')
Keep the tailgate closed.
Easy.
>>
>>1176015
Correct. There is a huge difference.
600lbs is too much for a tailgate even though it technically wont be all on the gate.

An easy solution is to place a 2x4 at the end of the bed, it will take all the load off the tailgate and also direct the load inwards.

>>1176663
They're ugly as fuck on 4 doors and should stay on Transits.
Pickups are multipurpose vehicles and not just for work.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (1MB, 1828x1908px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
1MB, 1828x1908px
>>1176614
>>1176223
When I was moving stone with my S10, I regularly loaded about 2-5 tons of stone in it (not a typo). Now the most I do is about 800-1200lbs of sand or gravel (only what will fit on the Harbor Freight "truck bed cargo unloader". If you don't have a truck bed cargo unloader, fucking get one! $40)

>pics related with small & medium sized loads, circa 2004

Driving it with this much weight felt like driving a big boat. Sometimes I had to drive 50 miles going only 15-30mph with my flashers on. I live in an extremely hilly area and the hills didn't bother it, surprisingly. I don't recommend loading it that much. I was young and dumb at the time and thankfully nothing bad happened.

I recently got an F150 and I'm in the process of getting a rack for it. I've never had a rack for the S10 and I've never allowed anything to touch the cab when loading. I'm >>1176282 and I've never even had one of those tailgate extensions.
>>
>>1176700
>Harbor Freight "truck bed cargo unloader"
>$39.99
https://www.harborfreight.com/truck-bed-cargo-unloader-60800.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWlVy2RsY60

Greatest invention for trucks since the loading ramp.
>>
>>1176679
Or two of those racks.
One on the front bumper, one on the rear and lay them flat.
>>
>>1176679

Is that ladder stuck extended?
>>
File: eYTRD3181.jpg (38KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
eYTRD3181.jpg
38KB, 640x480px
>>1176700

That bed full would be around 1.75-2 tons of stone in that density. It's approx 1.5 tons per yard considering dead space.

When we load a 4 yard truck with 6 yards of stone the scales show 8 extra tons over the tare weight.

Pic related is a 4 yard, 4 ton truck

I would definitely give you up to 2 tons but I won't believe more than that. You worked her good though, big up.
>>
>>1176567
Jesus what state do you live in where rust will fail an inspection?
>>
>>1176762
In every single state in Europe, rust will fail inspection.
Rust not failing inspection is the exception, not the norm.
>>
>>1176768

Lies. For body on frame vehicles the vehicle can be rusty but the rust has to be a certain distance from structural member on the cab and a certain distance from structural on the frame.

A little rust bubbling on your tailgate hinges will pass inspection as long as they aren't compromised.
>>
>>1176724
That's why it I said "small & medium sized loads". I never had pics of the few larger loads with the single boulders, because I never owned a digital camera until about half way through the job. You couldn't even see out the backglass at all and it made the tires, "squishy". See the boulder in >>1176700 with the shoes and lunch bag on it in two photos side-by-side? The largest ones (3 of them) were larger than it. That one is over 3 tons. The only reason I know the weight is because the truck had to be weighed on the scales for every incoming load then weighed when it was unloaded. Yes, it was really stupid.

All it takes is a limestone boulder 4 feet x 4 feet x 4 feet to be about 5.5 tons. You don't have to believe that, but any online calculator can show you.

>>1176762
Rust holes fail inspection, not just rust. Meaning there was never a rust hole, but there may have been rust which was merely spray painted over.
>>
>>1176768
Man, that's rough. In Delaware in the US, vehicles pretty much just have to be able to stop, have working lights, and not smoke to pass, and the emissions thing only applies to lower weight classes.

What's the rationale behind not allowing rust or rust holes on the body? Just curious.
>>
>>1176781

If you tell me that S10 only had an Iron Duke in it then I could dream well tonight
>>
>>1176894
2.2 L Vortec 2200 (L43) I4 120 hp (89 kW) @ 5000 RPM

Pretty much the worst thing to have for a small farm truck. The only time it really gave me trouble is when I was pulling a trailer with a boulder slab on it. It felt like it had no power at all even though I was driving super slow for safety. When I had a larger boulder in the bed and it handled better and had more power. I actually went much slower down hill than up because I didn't want my breaks to fail or have a tire roll off the rim in a turn.
>>
>>1176703
That's pretty neat.
>>
>>1176703
That loadhandler is great but I am happy my truck has a 3way tipper much easier.
>>
>>1176663
Better for off road, lighter, don't rust, easier to tie things down, can shovel dirt 3' off the side rather than 8' out the back, lower average load height, easier to get a non standard length...

If your only concern is how pretty your truck is and not what it can do then you bought the wrong car.
>>
>>1176663
costs more
>>
>>1177024

This x4

That difference is a real fucking concern especially when you don't use your truck for truck stuff
>>
>>1176663
>Why does no one in america use a tray on their truck.

You mean a flatbed? I see them all the time. I probably saw 10-15 of them today.
>>
>>1177047

10-15 is a drop in the pond compared to the 10-15,000 pickup beds that you saw on the same road
>>
>>1177047
how many of them did you see on 10/21/2014?
>>
>>1176663
Because 90% of Americans who own trucks own them as a status symbol or buy them because they think they will need them.
>>
>>1177054
I only saw like 25-30 non-commercial trucks on the road. I'd say about half were flatbeds. Growing up most of my friends who owned trucks had flatbeds. Most of them worked in hay fields too.

>>1177055
None. I was at a pagan festival that entire week.
>>
>>1176768
Well this is bogus. I am currently repairing the rusted parts on my van but that is because it's rotten trough. Surface rust is okay, when you can push a stick trough it's cool.
Rotgnomes are a nasty breed over here where winter is coming again in half a year.
>>
>>1177056
Why did Americans think owning a truck is a status symbol? I bought my f150 in 07 for 17k (cheapest 8ft bed), and been looking at new ones and they're all close to 30k. And all the used trucks are those fucking 6ft beds. If I wasn't in construction I'd be driving a fucking sedan but everyone wants to haul there 4 bags of mulch in a 6ft bed to make them feel manly. Shoe... Rant over
>>
>>1177220
>why can americans afford things i cant

We dont let terrorists use our welfare money before blowing us up
>>
>>1177366
I guess it would cost a lot to run us over buying a truck! America wins!
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.