[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi there, I'm living in a densely populated area (direct

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

Hi there,

I'm living in a densely populated area (direct visual connection to ~300 units in less than 50m distance), and I have an old linsksys wifi router lying around.
I would like to turn it into a broadcast device, which could act as some kind of "open captive portal web server" which would give access to local information, freely, without connection to internet. Difficult to trace, completely anonymous.

My first thoughts are to hook it to one of those small comps (arduino ? pi ?) turned into a captive portal/server. The whole thing would be consuming little power, and could be plugged anywhere, broadcasting on an explicit SSID.

Just a pirate broadcast web server. Not interested in viruses/scams/whatnot.

Isn't this already done ? Is there a name for that ? Do I have to start from scratch ?
>>
I have to add that it's not a router on which I can install DD-WRT... therefore, I would just want for the people wirelessly connecting to the router to be redirected to a specific IP/server connected to the router. Perhaps that makes for a simpler question ?
++ thanks
>>
>>1175904
you have to set the dhcp to give a dns server you run on the pi, that redirects all requests to the IP of the gadget.

Just google "captive portal" and design your website/server around that.
>>
>>1175913
That's quite to the point, and I can work with that.. thanks anon !
>>
>>1175904
Can i dowload cp with it?
>>
>>1175904
>Without connection to the internet
For what purpose then?
>WiFi range
Remember that the shittiest connection on that wireless will drag down the performance of everyone else.
>Connectivity
Speaking of people having shitty connections, the range of the devices connecting won't be as powerful as your router. So idk how many you expect to connect.

Don't mean to step on toes, but this isn't an easy thing. Unless you're in an apartment building, I don't think you'll get the number of people you want.
>>
>>1175930
apartment building it is (I can see ~20 ssids around permanently)

purpose: untraceable local propaganda against corrupt local politicians
>>
>>1175966
very traceable
it's VERY easy to just walk around with even a phone to locate the AP transmitter or antenna
it's easy to locate wifi source and unless you spoof the MAC/BSSID it is linked to the hardware.

If you actually want to do something like that to spread propaganda/protest, you need to use something like the following:
1.pi and battery, or laptop, etc
2.wifi adapter with linux drivers that let you change the MAC
3. rugged container for above

carry it around in your car or leave it at various places for short times. Change BSSID randomly, change SSID to random things like "complementary wifi" "customers only" "netgear" etc
have it only run for very short unpredictable periods of time.
All your info would have to be on one page so that it's downloaded and there before the next time it shuts off

basically you have to keep it mobile, changing ID and location patterns, and only active for short times.
Otherwise it will be found and you will catch shit or be jailed in certain areas
>>
>>1175966
Wi-Fi is incredibly easy to grab with a packet sniffer so anonymity with Wi-Fi will be harder than it's worth.
>>
just flash it with openwrt or something and configure your shit on the router. not necessary to connect another computer to it when the router itself is a computer.
>>
>>1175966
>propaganda against politicians
You're not one of those antifa types now are you?
>>
>>1176838
Considering this is 4chan, it's much more likely some /pol/ drivel.
>>
>>1176843
>>1176838
If he was railing against the same type of people antifa rails against, he would be able to do it in the open.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.