[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Recently got into spray painting controllers and shit, any idea

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 10

Recently got into spray painting controllers and shit, any idea how i can get this kind of effect?
>>
Here's what it looks like in motion
https://media.giphy.com/media/13SFLlmCEO9Al2/giphy.gif
>>
Chromaflair automotive paint applied with an airbrush.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-05-11-09-54-18.png (719KB, 1600x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-05-11-09-54-18.png
719KB, 1600x2560px
If the controller is black all you need a a colorshift spray can from autozone, other wise paint it black first then use color shift
>>
>>1175833
>>1175860
>>1175851
Pretty neat stuff really. I've been wanting to do similar to some stuff like fishing lures (spoons), but didn't know the name of it. Though, I do need to get an airbrush and do it that way later on.
>>
File: 1478041128242.png (82KB, 191x197px) Image search: [Google]
1478041128242.png
82KB, 191x197px
Not sure.

Spraying it got get the effect is easy

the hard part will be keeping the paint from peeling off/bubbling since your warm, sweaty hands will be touching it for several hours.
>>
>>1175863
I've never met a controller, mouse, or keyboard that didn't get stripped by hard use. Even a few the keys of my current keyboard have worn dips in them from gaming. With controllers I've always been able to wear down the buttons, d-pad, and stick tops. The paint, rubber, or whatever they have on them always wears off where my hands grip under the controller.

I don't know how much the OP uses his gear, but it certainly won't last, nothing ever does. But, that isn't the point. He can always remove the old paint and apply a new coat every couple years if needed.
>>
>>1175860
Won't rust paint degrade plastic?
>>
File: HAMMERITE1.jpg (2MB, 2340x2629px) Image search: [Google]
HAMMERITE1.jpg
2MB, 2340x2629px
>>1175833
hammerite... plus dexterity with decent masking tape and scalpel
>>
>>1175833
I've bought a paint kit like this before, it came with 3 rattle cans: a black base coat, color shift paint, and a gloss to coat. Just check paint departments at your local Walmart, hardware store or automotive store. It's more common than you think.
>>
File: 2315199082_5b9f74793e_b.jpg (327KB, 683x1024px) Image search: [Google]
2315199082_5b9f74793e_b.jpg
327KB, 683x1024px
It's colorshifting/chroma paint. You can buy a rattlecan of it at your local autopart place.

To be honest painting controllers is shit.

1.It always wears down after usage. Especially with that much gaudy clear/polish on that. Where you hands go will dull/cloud the clear. Eventually wearing down to the primer/plastic.

2.You're likely to fuck up at least 1 controller doing it. Just buy colored shells and be done with it.

Classic clear shells(Gameboys) are the shit, and better than any shitty paintjob.

>>1175865
Yep.
>>
>>1175916
Has or if anyone not yet produced a more rebust anilog controller...my kids often hurl it in frustrating game play situations?
>>
>>1175916

hmm, so could you open up the clear gameboy case, spray the *insides* of it, and then reassemble it?

would that have the same effect but without wearing down?

i suppose the visual effect wouldn't be as striking though...
>>
>>1176019
Teach your kids to control their anger, and not be little spazzoids.
>>
>>1176140
I was going to suggest that too. Like people who paint RC car shells, they come as clear plastic and you paint the inside. You always get a glossy finish that way too.
>>
>>1175899
Just prime it appropriately?
>>
>>1175833
Us ausfags call that pearlescent paint, I used to paint 5110 and 33xx Nokia faceplates for guys back in highschool with it for $30 a pop back in the day. Always use an automotive grade paint for this application and let it 100% cure between coats. If you do a proper job over a few days the electrocaps will dry out before the paint wears through. I cannot emphasise this enough. Let it cure properly between coats.

>>1175865
> implying plastics on controllers are painted, and not, ya know, made of the colour they intend the device to be
> implying you can wear colour out of coloured plastic.

Keycaps? Sure, got one or two on my own keyboard, but buttons, d-pads etc? Bull. Shit. But please, post some pics and prove me wrong, because if indeed you are not blowing smoke out of your arse, it will be great to see what kind of ghetto tier cheap shit you have been buying.
>>
File: Capture.png (2MB, 1553x729px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
2MB, 1553x729px
>>1176286
> not attaching the pic
>>
>>1175906
Hammerite is god tier
>>
>>1175865
>https://media.giphy.com/media/13SFLlmCEO9Al2/giphy.gif
What kind of monster are you? I've had controllers and mice for years that never got worn down.
>>
>>1176286
not OP but did you use chromaflair or something else? if something else, what and how?
>>
>>1176140
You can do that like
>>1176239
said. but as you said it results in a shitty cloudy finish unless it's very thin plastic.

My point was fuck gimmick painting controllers, and that transparent aesethic seeing guts is much better.

Cept N64 controllers have ugly guts/boards.
>>
>>1176286
>thinking I'm implying

Colored plastic films and paint over plastic is pretty common. Shit like the OP isn't that color all the way through and some have colored letters/symbols on the buttons/D-pad. Even the embossed letters get worn off.

I don't think you actually game that much.
>>
>>1176019
>>1176144
I never understood the whole throwing a controller thing. If I did that with the N64 controller as a kid I would've had an ass kicking from my older brother and then my parents. Me and my bro cherished the toys and things we had.
>>
>>1177143

your natural urges have been repressed by an overly-controlling family. your psyche has been so warped, you're at high risk of becoming a serial killer.
>>
File: Ywh2lG.gif (1MB, 320x214px) Image search: [Google]
Ywh2lG.gif
1MB, 320x214px
>>1177143
to be fair the only intense rage inducing multiplayer back then was goldeneye. you dont get the same shitstorm of anger brewing when its your own damn fault you died in a singleplayer game

and the cords on the controllers would stop them from being thrown more than a couple feet

i still knew a couple kids who cracked their tv screens by hurling shit at them
>>
>>1177177
>to be fair the only intense rage inducing multiplayer back then was goldeneye. you dont get the same shitstorm of anger brewing when its your own damn fault you died in a singleplayer game
Yeah but if its multiplayer I'd be more likely to punch the other player than throw the controller.
>>
File: 1436723045855.jpg (676KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
1436723045855.jpg
676KB, 1200x800px
guys I just brushed over the thread but I have a similar topicand don't wat to start a new one.

I've painted a few bike frames over time and I got kinda good at it.
I'd love to up my game a bit and do a "proper custom" paintjob on one of my bikes.

however they severly lack durability.
I even used 2k car paint on 2 frames and they still suffer a lot.

did I not cure long enough ?

is it just not possible to archive a long lasting paintjob with cans ?
>>
>>1175863
shit loads of epoxy based lacquer.
>>
>>1177177
>177177
AWSHIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET.jpg
>>
>>1178220
You can get an excellent paint job with cans, but you have to take the right approach. Sand the frame well, finish with a maroon scotchbright and then prime, preferably with an epoxy primer or if the frames are aluminium, an etch primer, then your 2k basecote, then a 2k clear. A difference between cans and spray equipment is the amount of paint in each coat, typically you'll want a minimum of 5 coats of spraycan finish to match 3 coats of spraygun finish. The clearcoat should be applied no more than 24 hours after the base to make sure it bonds, and you should try to do all the painting when the temperature is above 20 degrees C.
>>
Go to the model robot thread on /m/. Only place on the site that can teach you how to get presentation-grade finishes on small plastic items.

Hint: it's a shitload of work and you need tools and practice.
>>
>>1179233
Also anyone suggesting auto paint or a rattle can is a retard. Get an airbrush. Test on plastic spoons.
>>
>>1179233
which thread? the gunpla/plamo general? i can't find anything like that on the archive.
>>
>>1179300
Yes, exactly. That's what plamo means. "Plastic model." If anyone on 4chan can properly paint a controller, it's them. Everyone else will just go "hurr durr krylon." I fucking hate krylon.
>>
>>1179337
thanks dude, i'll go check them out
>>
File: 654475620.jpg (70KB, 612x408px) Image search: [Google]
654475620.jpg
70KB, 612x408px
>>1178220
most bikes are baked in an oven to cure the paint jobs.

i did a few but the paint always crackled after a year or so. the paint was still stuck on well and did not chip but it did crackle like pic related.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.