[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ikea Standing Desk hack? I want a standing desk but the electric

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: ikeastandingdesk.jpg (33KB, 585x812px) Image search: [Google]
ikeastandingdesk.jpg
33KB, 585x812px
Ikea Standing Desk hack?

I want a standing desk but the electric ones are too fucking expensive so any way to hook a cheap motor onto this with it still being powerfull and not look ugly?
>>
>>1175832
Also i've found a dude thats done it with a cordless drill but that is noisy as fuck so i prefer something a bit quiet but you get the idea im trying to jew out the system so it needs to be simple and cheap and nice
>>
>>1175832

Well, this being /diy/ and all...why don't YOU come up with an idea, or a plan, or a hack that would do this?

Then you can document it, and share it with the rest of the class...
>>
you can use linear actuator motors taken from an old-person's hospital-type bed.

they're free: walk in to a retirement home with a work order, show it to lady at the desk, and proceed to ''repair'' some of the motors.
>>
how about a gas spring desk frame + table surface?
>>
>>1175832
Just pay the money for a premade one. Trust me, you want the warranty if the motorized frame fails and your shit falls to the ground
>>
>>1175879
stealing is not the same as free, tyrone.
>>
>>1175832
looks like youd be able to tuck a motor in there quiet easily if you go for the one /w handle.
Brushless DC Motor /w gears or cheap stepper and arduino control?
>>
>>1175866
i got the idea but i need suggestions for a motor that wont make such noise
>>
>>1176200
yeah that was the idea. Buy one with a handle thats 400 bucks cheaper and then use that money to hook it up to a motor. However I need the motor to be silent and cheap too
>>
Why the fuck would you need a motor?
Are you too weak to raise the desk yourself?
>>
>>1176799
Electric car side window motors. They're relatively cheap, pretty quiet, can be run off a battery if you want. They also work off worm gears so they have lots of torque.

Or put the desk on bottle jacks.
>>
>>1176800
go to a scrap metal place, and hope for the best
>>
>>1177298
you will probably use it more of its as easy as pressing a button
>>
>>1177299
>Electric car side window motors. They're relatively cheap, pretty quiet, can be run off a battery if you want. They also work off worm gears so they have lots of torque.

thanks i think im gonna go this way and see what i can get

is it best to get second hand or just order a cheap chinese one from somewhere? I might be able to see it in action on youtube too maybe if its a common one so I can see if its strong and check the noise
>>
Why do you want a standing desk?
>>
>>1177683
because sitting for long periods of time sucks and its healthy to sometimes change

if your desk will raise by the press of a button so you can stand on it and continue what you are doing then thiis is something i wanna try

also i like to make it for cheap because fuck that price difference
>>
>>1177683
>>1177686
I'm in the same boat. I want a desk the I can got from sitting to standing. I can't sit for long hours like I use to when I was younger. When you work a job that you spend hours and hours a day standing you get use to it. Hell my job sent me to paid training and it suck just sitting for the first 2 hours.
>>
>>1177679
I got one from Princess Auto for 15 bucks for a school project a couple years back. Look around for some sales at auto stores or something, they're relatively common items.

If you can't find anything, head to a junk yard and find the newest looking crashed car and rip the motor out of the door.
>>
get two chairs with working gas cylinders

remove seating

make 2 cubes with plywood the size of the gas/manual base

drill holes through gas base

fasten with bolts, locking washers and nuts.
(bolt+washer <wood> washer+locking washer+nut)

remove castors

fasten to desired desk.

problem solved
>>
is the black one made of gold?
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.