[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it worth removing this shit for like $4/sqft? Or is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6

File: popcorn-ceiling removal.jpg (87KB, 590x393px) Image search: [Google]
popcorn-ceiling removal.jpg
87KB, 590x393px
Is it worth removing this shit for like $4/sqft?

Or is it too much work?
>>
>>1175332
Any price is worth removing that shit.
>>
>>1175333
Seems like hard work and $4 isn't enough
>>
>>1175332
The problem is the potential for asbestos. If it's not asbestos you can DIY pretty easily, if it is asbestos then it's worth it to just pay someone to do it for you and then they can worry about their lungs instead of you worrying about yours.
>>
>>1175337
Pretty sure that it doesn't have asbestos senpai
>>
>>1175346
>Pretty sure

Either a) you know for a fact which year it was installed or b) you've had it tested. Any other answer means it could have asbestos in it.
>>
>>1175332
>Is it worth removing this shit for like $4/sqft?
10' x10' room for $400 - yes, I'd do that.
>>
>>1175352
I'm pretty sure stucco doesn't contain any asbestos... otherwise my homie is telling me the wrong thing
>>
File: Holy.Trinity.jpg (315KB, 960x882px) Image search: [Google]
Holy.Trinity.jpg
315KB, 960x882px
>>1175332
how big is the space?

we had a vaulted dining room ceiling (14x14?)which was an older popcorn and did it ourselves in proper gear on rented ($75?) scaffolding, however we had someone come out to mud&tape all the gouges we had made and seams that became uncovered.

before that, when someone else stepped through a small hallways popcorn ceiling while I was replacing the floor, he had someone come out and do daily coats of mud across the popcorn until smooth.
>>
File: IMG_20130914_104059_469.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20130914_104059_469.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>1175358
>pipe removed by abatement peeps
>they point out the tape and cover it for free
which reminds me, asbestos tape might be on the ducting I want to remove in my new place.. which is behind a popcorn ceiling.
>>
>>1175357
Well, that settles it then. After all, people are never wrong, especially when you can identify them as your homie.
>>
>>1175352
It's spraycrete. Concrete sprayed onto a concrete ceiling. You don't put asbestos over concrete that's pointless since concrete isn't flamable.
>>
>>1175336

After it wets down it just scrapes off without effort, replastering it is the tricky bit.
>>
I don't know about wherever you guys live, but anything in my country with a popcorn ceiling built before the 80s definitely has asbestos in it, not much, but still.
>>
File: dr_house.jpg (103KB, 700x571px) Image search: [Google]
dr_house.jpg
103KB, 700x571px
>>1175346
>>
>>1175366
>>1175428
fuck lads it is asbestos huh
>>
enjoy ur lungs
>>
>>1175332
Spray with water, use scraper on a pole just for this
>>
>>1175332
This shit is the worst. My house has it, and I've been wanting to remove it for years. Just haven't found the time to do it yet. If I give it long enough, all of the shit will fall down on its own. It also makes the house super dusty. It breaks down over time and leaves a fine white powder over EVERYTHING. After just a month after cleaning, I can write my name on any surface in the house.
>>
>>1175677
Huge pain. Super messy, asbestos? You have to skim the ceiling and sand. Oh and it's hell on your shoulders.
>>
File: 4056.jpg (269KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
4056.jpg
269KB, 800x600px
>>1175332
I just moved into a bachelor apartment and this is what my kitchen ceiling looks like. The roof doesn't leak but the drywall underneath doesn't look primed. It flakes off just looking at it. Thinking of scraping it off and painting it white with a semi-gloss paint. Building built in 1971.
>>
>>1175716
That's how my kitchen and bathroom ceilings look, after about 30 years. Heat and moisture loosens it. I'm at the point where I'd almost rather just remove the drywall and replace it. Would cost more, but would be a hell of a lot easier.
>>
>>1175716
yeah just use a steam machine and scrape it off
>>
what this shit on ceiling?
>>
>>1176024
>apartment
>doing any work on it yourself
fuck that dude tell your landlord to fix your fucking ceiling
>>
If it has been painted over...good luck
In that case I go over it with 1/4" drywall and do a knock down
>>
>>1175716
The idiots that built my old complex did the same shit (texture on unprimed drywall). It fell on my girlfriend's head while she was showering one day. Just moisten it with a spray bottle and scrape it off.

I just scraped it all off so it wouldn't ruin another shower. The maintenance guy that did the move-out walk thanked me, and returned my deposit in full.
>>
>>1175716
That will scrape easy...Use ceiling white(flat)
It's cheaper and it wont show every imperfection like a gloss / semi gloss will
>>
threadly asbestos alert!
>>
>>1176024
>>1176072
heh I came home one day and found a piece laying on the kitchen floor & woke up one night to the sound of a 12"x15" section that peeled off. It's so fragile that it will probably come straight off without dificulty but I will use the wetting technique.. never thought of that. Thanks.

>>1176068
Agreed. But i'm in a tight rental market (less than 1% vacancy) & my landlord thinks there is nothing wrong, "just glue it" he said. The resident caretaker was more sympathetic, he came by afterwards and said he'd quietly supply the primer & paint when i'm ready. I also pushed for a new carpet as the previous guy was a chain smoking doper who never once vacuumed or cleaned the carpet in the 3 years he lived here before going to jail. That, I got. So it's a compromise plus I weaseled out of any rent increases for at least a year maybe more.

>>1176073
>use flat paint
Funny I had others give the same advice today for the very same reasons. I thought s/g was better for cleaning but i'll use flat white instead. I can legitimately see me having a cosmetically imperfect ceiling.
>>
>>1175476
asbestos isn't even that harmful. it's not fucking plutonium here.
>>
>>1176148
In a bathroom you would want to use a semi gloss to prevent moisture creating mold in the drywall. And you're right semi gloss does make cleaning easier, but really who cleans a ceiling?
>>
>>1176212
Yeah my bathroom ceiling is s/g. I usually take a squeegee to the ceiling once a year as water droplets leave easy to clean stains on it.
>>
Fucking asbestos? Its drywall mud and paint..i dont think its worth that much, unless they retexture and paint (minus materials)
>>
>Buy house with girlfriend
>Dad visits, used to do drywall before becoming an electrician
>"Hey Anon, do you want me to spray your ceiling with texture?
>Girlfriend's dad visits
>"Hey Anon, I still have my sprayer, do you want me to spray your ceiling with a popcorn texture?"

Holy fuck old guys, stop.
>>
>>1177116
Hes just trying to be nice.. You should be gratefull.. Save you some money..or at least tell him you like it how it is..
>>
>>1177126
I know they're trying to be nice. They just think it's the 70s and people still want popcorn ceilings even though they look shit.
>>
>>1177128
>even though they look shit.

That's because you forgot to top it off with glitter.
>>
>>1175332
Should be closer to $1 sf
>>
>>1175332
Wait five years, it'll be back in style.
>>
WTF is a sqare foot ?
>>
>>1177222
Then it just looks like unicorn shit
>>
>>1177222
Anon, the preferred addition is broken glass for the sparkles.
>>
What years are asbestos risk? My house was built in 79 and has this garbage on the ceiling.
>>
>>1177239
WTF is your shit country going to get it's own websites for you to troll?
>>
>>1177239
I troll wherever I want sir
>>
>>1176186
asbestos is only harmful when inhaled/ingested.

biologically asbestos is inert. the way it actually causes damage is mechanical.

the fibers in asbestos are so thin, that when white blood cells attempt to engulf the fiber, they can engulf one end of the fiber. but the fibers are too long, so the white blood cell explodes and spills its contents everywhere. the white blood cells exploding is what causes the actual damage.
>>
>>1177239
144 sq inches
>>
File: foot_binding_China.jpg (46KB, 350x245px) Image search: [Google]
foot_binding_China.jpg
46KB, 350x245px
>>1177239
It's when you wrap your feet into the shape of a square. This is a triangle foot.
>>
>>1175332
It's damn near impossible to get a completely smooth surface with that stuff. It's a much better end result to just glue & screw some 1/4" gypsum board to it, and probably less than half the cost.
>>
>>1177546
*screams externally*
>>
>>1175332
>Is my life with 4 bucks per square feet?
Probably not
>>
i did this with my dad and i spit out bloody alot and there was alot of water everywhere it was fun to do but not the blood i spat
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.