[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I accidentally posted this in /o/ Good day all. I am looking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: m-ms381-l001.png (202KB, 650x459px) Image search: [Google]
m-ms381-l001.png
202KB, 650x459px
I accidentally posted this in /o/

Good day all. I am looking to buy a chainsaw for some land we are going to be cleaning up. I have never used a saw myself but my intention is to purchase one for the business and hire an experienced feller. I know I can ask the guy with experience what would be a good sized but I know the man is going to say I need something the size of an MS720 which is a hell of a lot of saw and pretty pricey in my country. Also the "professionals" in this country will amaze you with how little they know.

It is going to be primarily 40-50ft coconut trees and a lot of sea almond. Sea almond is pretty soft but older coconut trees can be a bitch to hack through even with a sharp cutlass and a skilled user. It's all open field/jungle so we can fell everything from the ground. I am thinking of getting a second hand pole pruner to supplement the saw for any trees that are to stay up but need cleaning.

I have been hearing good things about the MS440, which is available here and is Germany built, but the Brazilian built 381 has been catching my eye in size and prize.

Should I got with the 381 or grab the 440? The 440 won't break the bank but the difference in price affords oil and fuel for half the saw's job.

Also I can't go with Husqvarna as it doesn't exist here.
>>
>>1174658
You already know what you want. You want use to talk you into so you feel better and blame 4chin when your wife gets pissed?
>>
>>1174658
Where do you live where an MS 720 is allowed, it has no safety features at all. Here in Germany this saw would be forbidden to sell. The 440 is a good saw I own the 044C which is the predecessor and mainly the same as the 440. Pretty powerful and reliable because it is the professional series from stihl, it is 21 years old now. This year I got me the 461, and the 044 is now the backup saw, it has earned its retirement.
>>
>>1174662

My inner Jew wants the 381 but the white man in me wants the 440. I usually follow the Jew but is it good enough for 200 hours of saw time right off the bat?

>>1174666

Thanks. Any experience with smaller saws?

>Where do you live where the 720 is allowed

In lands more free than the nation claiming to be "the land of the free"
>>
>>1174673
Yes I have a ms 260 as well for the smaller trees and to clean the trees. I love it, it has decent power and is very lightweight. It is 8 years old now. But i wouldn't recommend it for your work, I would take the 440, it is pretty much the all-round saw for Professionals. Not to heavy and enough Power to chop down even the big trees with over 1meter in Diameter. The 440 is a saw which is made for professionals who work with it 8 hours a day every day, the question is do you need a saw like that. Semi professional saws from stihl have less power and use cheaper materials so they are heavier an less reliable. But 200hours should even the semi do. Then there also is the hobby line for home owners cleaning up their garden once a year. They are really crappy everything plastic but cheap as fuck and no power.
>>
>>1174693

Good information. The first 200 hours is probably the hardest this saw will ever work for the foreseeable future. After that it would just be the odd tree every other month. I would probably go with the 381 for now and then if that line of work were to develop more then we'd have a better idea of what we need.
>>
Go here, then study ALL of the video series in second link:

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2Aktms_4Pg

That covers all you'll need to know.
>>
>>1174673
>In lands more free than the nation claiming to be "the land of the free"

They are UN safety guidelines
>>
>>1174756
Yeah i think 200hours should the semi do with ease and if not you still have the warranty. And if you don't use it afterwards very often it should do its job. Personally i prefer the high end saws because i want to use them for 20 years and more.
>>
What did /o/ say? Go big or go home I bet
>>
>>1174806
I have had an aldi chainsaw for 25 years still worked when I traded it in for a ms281.

The 281 is great for what I use it for. (sawing wood for my wood stove)
>>
>>1174784

Ok.

>>1174813

Not really. They just kept telling me to hire someone, a couple recommended Husqvarna and one actually told me I should ask the guy I am hiring to state what saw to purchase.
>>
>>1174666
>would be forbidden to sell
but... warum?
>>
>>1174666
oh nwm, now i see it
>>
>>1174658
forget about Stihl, they are chink junk these days. look for an Echo or Husky(preferably Echo). really you want a few different sized saws but really depends in the diameter of what you're cutting. 60cc with a 20 inch bar would be a good all around saw
>>
File: IMG_20170510_093715062.jpg (4MB, 2592x4608px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170510_093715062.jpg
4MB, 2592x4608px
>>1175060

No echos or husky in my country. Not gonna be waiting 2 months on a part from an American saw dealership that won't give me a warranty since I am in a different country.

The stihls here are often stamped made in Germany or Brazil.

Here is the 720 on display for those interested
>>
If you want a powerfull chainsaw and for professional use take MS 661 C-M.
Or little smaler in ccm MS 461 I have MS 661 CM. And im cutting forest for sale every day... The cahinsaw is light but really fast.
In my country that MS 720 is not for sale and that God becouse that some old school chansaw that weight double than any one new...

I dont realy understand why would you buy MS720. Its digficult to work with her.

If you have any question please ask i work in official STIHL dealership and im a legit STIHL mechanic.
>>
>>1175349

No 661 here. Only 660 magnum.

I have pretty much settled on the 381 due to the fact that it only has 200 hours of use in the foreseeable future and the trees aren't greenheart tough and at most 18" where we choose to cut.

The coconut stumps will be ripped out by excavators so instead of having to cut the 3 foot base we can go up 4 feet and cut the 1.5 foot section
>>
>>1175334
They can stamp whatever they want on the tag but half the shit is just chink made. The engine is usually fully US or German made and is solid but everything else is fucking garbage especially the plastic. Rip one apart and start looking at the stamps, pull up part numbers if you must and you'll find out most of it is shit
>>
>>1175461

Yeah the tag on the 720 is the only indicator.

But the 440 and 660 have it on the clutch housing.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.