[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Currently have galvanized pipes in my home and noticed a small

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

Currently have galvanized pipes in my home and noticed a small dripping pinhole leak that appears to have been "repaired" with epoxy by the previous resident.

Can I get by with a pipe clamp placed over the original crap repair until I can actually repair it or not? Also, do I need to sand down the epoxy or am I risking more damage by doing that?
>>
Bamp
>>
If its your house just replace the pipe with blueline. If its a rental get on to the owner.
>>
>>1174359
House is mine.

I just need to seal it until I can part out the materials, time to start the project, etc.

Many of the lines have been replaced in PVC already. It's in the garage so I'm not worried about making it look sexy.
>>
The time it will take you stuffing around with a clamp and glue only to get it temporarily right on the fourth try you may as well just do it proper.
>>
File: 1494110883110.webm (3MB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
1494110883110.webm
3MB, 320x180px
Cut it out and resolder it with new pipe. It's super easy to do with like 30 bucks in tools. Really good skill to know how to do.

youtube is filled with videos on how to do it.
>>
Goto lowes or hd get some fiber wrap.

It is a mesh you wet then wrap around and it solidifies. Works great for this situation.

In the end run pex and pull all the gal.
>>
Clamp won't work if there's epoxy boogered all over it.
>turn off water
>gob on more 5 minute epoxy
>fix when you have time as stated

If you don't have time /ability to replace the pipe, look up 'shark bite" for plumbing repair.
Its a compression type fitting for home plumbing patch jobs.
>pic related
>>
>>1174374
What's galvanic corrosion?

You cannot put in a piece of copper pipe soldered to a piece of galvinised steel.
>>
>>1174477
>What's galvanic corrosion?

Its what happens when the electrician clamps an earth wire to your part buried gal pipes that is also clamped to the copper earth stake.
>>
>>1174477
What is a dielectric fitting

You make me sick
>>
if you start wrenching on galvanized you could cause other leaks
>>
File: dresser coupling.gif (84KB, 500x289px) Image search: [Google]
dresser coupling.gif
84KB, 500x289px
>>1174345
First OP ignore most this shit people have said.

Yes, whats in your pic can work temporarily or for years just depends on the situation, a repair clamp, not a pipe clamp. The inside of the pipe is likely rusted out until it's very thin which means you have to be careful about over tightening and fracturing the pipe.

You can use rubber hose/tubing to make a patch of sorts and use pipe clamps directly on and to each side of the leak

soldering, brazing copper to galvanized is not going to happen

Shark bites wont work:
1. all but 1 kind come in CTS size
2. the one IPS set is specifically for PVC so the teeth have something to grab onto

Here however is an actual answer:
Dresser coupling, also called compression coupling sometimes

allows you to join pipe without threading it or having to unscrew rusted old joints

Saw through the pipe at the problem spot
slightly move the pieces out of alignment, shove the nut, then gasket, then body of the dresser coupling onto one side
then shove the other nut and gasket onto the other pipe, about half the length of the coupling
realign the pipes and move the dresser coupling body over to the second nut, start it, then move the first nut and gasket to the body, start it
tighten both.

You can use dresser couplings at each end if you need to replace a whole section with pvc.

HOWEVER, you must make sure they can't move around, secure them to something. They are not supposed to be used on pressure lines in houses, and NEVER in a place you can't see i.e. in a wall.

final note: PVC shouldn't be used as water line inside house. It's not rated for the heat or pressure that Cpvc is. It's not just against code, it's a bad idea in general.
>>
>>1174489
threaded dielectric fittings....

you expect OP to either put a wrench on joints on a line that has already rusted up to the point of leaks

Or you expect him to run a die and thread a rusted out pipe?
>>
>>1174345
Wrap it with that Flex Seal tape shit that fat turd on tv repaired the boat he cut in half with. I've never used it, but looks like it'd be a good temporary fix
>>
>>1174345
if it's just a pin hole wrap a washcloth or small towel around it then place a bucked under to catch the drips. the washcloth will soak up water allowing the pinhole to just seal up with calcium and other minerals in the water and seal itself. it'll should happen even if you do nothing but the washcloth will accelerate the process so it'll take a few weeks rather then months. works best with well water and may take a bit longer to work with city water.
>>
File: 1410488079069.png (448KB, 496x708px) Image search: [Google]
1410488079069.png
448KB, 496x708px
>>1174477
the previous owner of my house did it!
>>
>>1174345
don't heat up galvanized metal it gives off poisonous fumes too btw
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.