[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The terminals on my car battery get a ton of corrosion to the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 7puio.jpg (216KB, 1920x1331px) Image search: [Google]
7puio.jpg
216KB, 1920x1331px
The terminals on my car battery get a ton of corrosion to the point that they are covered in a mound of blue powder. I neutralize with baking soda and water remove the terminals wire brush and clean them, it used to happen to just the positive but now its happening to negative too, which sucks because I cant reach the negative terminal, ford put it under the cowling requiring me to remove said cowl to service battery which is a pain. What can be causing so much corrosion? It gets to the point where I have to clean it every two weeks or the car just doesnt start.
>>
>>1173879
if it's a continued problem why not just fix it?
I had the same issue until I spent all of $12 to replace the terminals and tossed some dielectric gel on there for good measure
>>
they make a grease you can cover the terminals in thats suppose to fix the problem. ch3ck autoparts stor3.
>>
>>1173883

I am not opposed to this how ever what would be the difference? Is there a certain type of terminal that works best?
>>
>>1173890

I tried that and what happened was the corrosion built up between the terminal and post
>>
>>1173879
remove terminals from battery
clean battery posts with wire brush
clean terminals with wire brush
clean terminal clamp nuts and bolts with wire brush
wash/rinse everything to remove particles
(bright metal showing on every part)
dry all with paper towels and compressed air or allow to air dry
coat battery posts with wheel bearing grease
coat terminals and nuts and bolts with wheel bearing grease
re-assemble terminals and attach to battery
should last a year or two (maybe three)

You can use petroleum jelly (Vaseline) or any heavy bodied grease.
The purpose is to seal the connection and connectors from air and moisture.
>>
Clean well like this >>1173996
You can drop the terminals good by dropping them in a cup of vinegar for about 1/2 hour.
After reassembeling, spray them with something like this:
>https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/crc-battery-terminal-protect-7.5-oz.-05046/7071027-P

Had a car that used to get corroded posts often and that spray shit worked really well, it's kinda like a greasy paint.
>>
>>1173890
Krylon.
>>
>>1173996
Yep lasts like a year
>>
>>1173996
>>1174010

clean like this

however, do not use spray, spray are for plebs cos it gets everywhere, get a tube of silicone grease
>>
>>1174010
> vaseline in medicine cabinet.
> grease in garage.
> falling for the (((spray on))) meme
>>
>>1173879
Glue pennies on top of the battery
>>
>>1173879
Baking soda and lime!
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.