[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, if I bought pic related, could I just hook it up to a simple

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: Screenshot_2017-05-07_20-45-00.png (373KB, 1267x648px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-05-07_20-45-00.png
373KB, 1267x648px
So, if I bought pic related, could I just hook it up to a simple switch and then a car battery to make a magnet that would crush and injure my hand if I was holding something small and magnetic , like a coin or something?
>>
what the fuck
>>
>>implying that's how electromagnets work

No.
220 pounds won't crush your hand, and that magnet won't be putting out its full rating unless it's against a large piece of ferrous metal.
>>
Just get an n52 neodymium magnet. A two inch cube would be roughly the same price and strength if I recall. Careful though I myself fucked up my phone messing with one of those, I was like two feet away from my phone and now it's fucked. Also if you put it near a pace maker it sets it to test mode. They are neodymium so they never turn off, but be careful they chip easy.

To answer your question, a coin would not crush your hand, the skin, meat and bone,is way too thick. If that's a 200 lbs magnet a solid chunk of metal in between that and your hand wouldn't be all that uncomforatable. Now if it pinched your skin then youd be fucked.

N52 is also one of the, if not the highest strength natural magnets that aren't electric. Have fun and stay away from electronics, unless it's a crt tv
>>
>>1173846
The car battery would burn it out, if the electromagnet doesn't have its own built in resistor. Find out how many amps it can handle and use a resistor for that range.

Also, 220lbs electromagnet is really pretty weak and small. If you want a really powerful one, make one from a microwave oven transformer.
>>
>>1173854
>Order super powerful earth magnet
>Package keeps fucking up electronic while being shipped
>Package is continually attaching itself to metal surfaces
>Mail personnel believe it to be haunted, douse it with holy water

But seriously, if it is that powerful, how do they ship them?
>>
>>1173856
Inverse Cube law.

Large powerful magnets are shipped in wooden crates and stuffed with every inches to feet of padding depending on the size and strength.

Magnets very quickly lose their strength as they move away from magnetic materials.
>>
>>1173855
... The magnet is a resistor, its going to contain dozens to hundreds of meters of copper wire.

The 12V nominal rating means that it will not overheat at that voltage.

>>1173856
In the center of a giant box.
>>
>>1173866
>In the center of a giant box.
So you're mom vagina?
>>
>>1173846
I got a couple of these from the maintenance storage room in the basement of my high school, never did much with them though. I could have grabbed dozens. They also had dozens of gallons of sulfuric acid drain opener, lye drain opener, 10% ammonia, and lots of tools and piping and electrical parts. The drama club kids got to use the basement unsupervised so I got to take whatever I wanted. Then my friend burned his hand with the acid (because he took fight club too seriously) and almost got me busted. Same kid got caught with a scale at school, and used me as a scapegoat saying we did chemistry and made model rockets together (which somehow saved him from getting suspended for drug dealing).
>>
>>1173866
You don't understand electronics, the amperage rating is important.
>>
>>1173910
>the amperage rating is important
so, what is the aperage rating of this device?
>>
>>1174002
Around 3 ape rages per hour, complete with shit flinging.

>>1173910
He's right, though.
>>
>>1174003
>He's right, though.

So is >>1173866
>The 12V nominal rating means that it will not overheat at that voltage.

The electromagnet is designed to be connected to 12 volts.
Connecting it to an automobile battery is within it's designed parameters.
It will work fine connected to a car battery.
>>
File: 1494170378828.jpg (204KB, 1437x1442px) Image search: [Google]
1494170378828.jpg
204KB, 1437x1442px
>>1173897
>>
>>1173866
>... The magnet is a resistor, its going to contain dozens to hundreds of meters of copper wire.
>The 12V nominal rating means that it will not overheat at that voltage.

Tell that to the electromagnets I've killed in the past.
>>
>>1174994
Well, some have limited duty cycle. Depends on magnet.
>>
>>1173909
>The drama club kids got to use the basement unsupervised so I got to take whatever I wanted.
>"""fight""" club
you are a faggot
the reason they put you down there is because they didn't want to have to put up with you
just because nobody is looking you can take anything you want? clearly you have major social issues.
perhaps they put you down there hoping you would drink all that drain cleaner?
>>
>>1173866
> The magnet is a resistor

Thought it was an Inductor
>>
>>1173866
The wiring in your house is rated for 110V, but you still have breakers to keep them from overheating at high AMPERAGE.

Amps are what causes something to heat, not volts. That's why welders use very low voltage, high amperage.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.