[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If you sand blasted a rusted tool, what would you coat it with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

File: old-rusty-wrench-18632987[1].jpg (85KB, 1300x945px) Image search: [Google]
old-rusty-wrench-18632987[1].jpg
85KB, 1300x945px
If you sand blasted a rusted tool, what would you coat it with later other than paint?
>>
>painting tools

Anodizing is a thing for a reason senpai.
>>
>>1173842
bit of CLP
>>
>>1173842
Rust blueing, cold galvanizing, parkerizing or nothing and just clean and oil your tools.
>>
Well, you could blue it I guess. Plastidip the handle and oil the working faces.
>>
>>1173842
Depends on the tool. Old hand planes used Japaning. Exposed surfaces were intended to be left clean and oiled every now and again for rust proofing. After WWII chrome became a big deal. Before that, they would nickel plate stuff.Generally, if it wasn't painted before you shouldn't paint it after. If the chrome is shot then just clean and oil it every now and again.
>>
>>1173842
Oil.
>>
>>1173843
Tools are generally made of steel. Anodizing is for aluminum or titanium.

Cleaning and oiling are the way to go, as other anons have mentioned. Bluing could be cool but it won't hold up on any surface that contacts metal.
>>
Powder coat and plastidip, mask any gears.
>>
>>1173842
depends on tool
for my tools i plan paint/lacquer
, the working surfaces/moving parts of the tools oil/grease or any chemical surface protection or wax etc.
>>
>>1173842
sandbalasting to get rid of rust is old.
Use a solution of isocyanate
>>
Polish it on a buffer.
>>
>>1173842
3-in-1 oil

I'd also never sandblast a tool.
>>
File: IMAG0555.jpg (983KB, 3500x1012px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0555.jpg
983KB, 3500x1012px
>>1173842
Usually blood and tears.
>>
File: IMAG0556.jpg (950KB, 3592x944px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0556.jpg
950KB, 3592x944px
>>1174318
Other side of tool pr0n
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>1173842
I personally wouldn't and don't coat my old rusted tools. I take them to a wire wheel and leave them be. If I had to, I'd put that rubber tape stuff that you put on handles of tools and things. It's not tape but it sticks to itself real well.
>>
>>1173842
a common maintenance option from back in the day that hasn't been mentioned is instead of oil using paste wax. you can find it in housewares as floor wax today. dip a cloth in, rub it on, buff it out. it will dry once buffed so unlike oil wont get sticky, and still repels water.
also >>1174039, most tools wouldn't do well with sandblasting unless you're using a medium softer than the good steel and not actual sand.
it would make OP tool useless because it would either add a shitton of slop, meaning you might as well get the 1$ store one, or it'll add texture to the worm gear so you have to use another wrench/pliers to adjust it.
>>
>>1173842
Zinc electro galvanization.
This is only a temporary measure, of course but it's cheap, easy and gives a great look to the tools.
>>
>>1173842
durakote/cerakote/appliance enamel
>>
>>1173842
you could even rust blue it or cold blue it with the instant shit
>>
>>1174318
>caustic salt and diluted salt

you have bad finishing technique
>>
Gold plate it
>>
>>1173842
Cost all tools in wd40 to prevent rust. Works like a charm
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.