[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any ideas on making a resistance wheel out of junk or for nothing?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: 71wbkucC0JL._SX522_.jpg (39KB, 522x522px) Image search: [Google]
71wbkucC0JL._SX522_.jpg
39KB, 522x522px
Any ideas on making a resistance wheel out of junk or for nothing? I was given several bicycles in good condition, I can hack one up if needed. A bunch of wood and 2x4's. Old electric motors? Lots of stuff laying around. I'm a chronic "this could be useful" hoarder.

I've got zero dollars to my name, and I won't have any spending money for quite a few paychecks. 60$ for one off amazon is a lot of rice and beans which I need to eat instead. Somehow I'm still overweight.

I'm thinking maybe the old electric motors could be rigged up somehow, but I'm not sure how to build an interface to the axle or rear gear anyway. They're large fan motors with a notch on the axle.

Any ideas better than electric motor, or any ideas on how to actually hook it up?
>>
just bike someplace?
>>
>>1173509
for like charging batteries?
>>
>>1173511
Nah, weightloss. Got into audiobooks and realized I could be burning calories.

Two basic approaches are:
Friction
Magnetic resistance

I figure magnetic resistance is safer, quieter, and that's the way the real ones do it.

>>1173510
Around here that's just asking to get run down. I was given the bikes because my friend had enough close calls to quit biking to work. I don't even have a helmet.

Also, I fully intend to have my ass planted in front of a computer while I do it. Priorities.
>>
>>1173513
well if you don't want to capture the energy just ride somewhere fatass
>>
>>1173513
friction can be real quiet, adjust the brakes so theres a little drag - its not like you'll run out of pads.
>>
you should make a bicycle dyno op, that way you can invite bicyclists over and get them to pay $20 for a dyno run

i wonder how many watts someone can produce anyway, not joe blow but an actual enthusiast or someone involved in competition
>>
>>1173547
I think it would be more useful to actually use the mechanical energy for example to spin like a clothes washer or something
>>
>>1173547
The bikes in my gym read out the power you produce, at the peak of my performance i could do 300 W/h. Quite exhausting for hardly any gains tho
>>
>>1173645
What the hell is a W/h
>>
>>1173509
A DC permanent magnet motor of good size will work great for this. Just attach it so you have to spin it when pedaling then hook the wires up to something that can handle the power and adjust the electrical resistance for how much physical resistance you want.

>>1173547
>>1173645
The one I made can get 35 watts with lots of hard work. If I try to push it further the chain starts to jump when it reaches 3amps. However, mine is only for 12volt so an increase in amps = a major increase in resistance where you must pedal harder, not faster to get more out of it. It use a high torque DC motor. If I slapped a car alternator on it, I'd be pedaling super fast in comparison and it would be easier on the hardware.

Also, you need to take the commercial exercise bikes with a grain of salt. They often times give you a false reading for watt hours in order to inflate people's egos. We hooked a few multimeters up to a friend's and his 250watts was acutely only 50 watts. I'm not sure if they are using cheap meters or are artificially fudging the results.
>>
>>1174048
How did you measure it? Motors hava a certain efficiency, so if you calculate the power by measuring the voltage across a lightbulb connected to the generator maybe you aren't accounting for that.
>>
>>1174014
Wieners you're able to fellate per hour. OPs mum is the international unit of measurement which equals to 1000W/h
>>
>>1174058
With a 2 volt meters, 2 an amp meters, and 2 different charge controllers which show volts, amps, and watts.
>>
>>1174064
>2 an amp meters, and 2 different charge controllers
N...not in parallel, right?
>>
>>1173509

use an electric stater motor and short it out with a variable resistor

provided you don't wanna measure current or keep it, you'll turn your mechanical energy into electrical, and then burn it off as heat.

adjust the resistor to change how hard you wanna pedal, and you should be done.

also dear god cover it up when you're done, a jolt from ambient capacitance somewhere in your system could hurt alot. And ground the fucking thing.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.