[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My downstairs neighbor has stopped going outside to smoke. Until

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: smoke.jpg (78KB, 720x646px) Image search: [Google]
smoke.jpg
78KB, 720x646px
My downstairs neighbor has stopped going outside to smoke. Until I can (or if I cannot) convince them to smoke only outside, what do you think will be the most effective way to keep my apartment smoke free?

I'm fairly certain the smokes main ingress is the shared stairwell (far right) and and water-heater closet (shared pipes) because Room 3 gets the most smoke.

Room 1 is where I sleep, this tends to stay smoke-free if I keep the door closed.

Room 2 is my computer/workbench this is usually OK but I tend to keep the door open so it gets some smoke.

Room 3 is the main living area and gets the most smoke.

I currently have a fan in each window in Room 3 blowing inward in an attempt to both drive the smoke out and create positive pressure to keep out new smoke.
>>
What state do you live in?
>>
>>1173162
MA
I'm not sure on all the rules for Smoke Free Housing and I don't want to take this as far as legal action.

I'm probably moving out in the next few months anyways. I just want smoke gone now.
>>
>>1173165
Ok. In that case, Move the fans from room 3 to room 1, 2 and 4. You're on the right track with positive pressure but need to include all the rooms so the pressure in room 3 doesn't cause smoke to blow into 1, 2 or 4.
>>
>>1173158
Get a fan to bring fresh air into your apt constantly. Create a positive pressure environment so your air is escaping. Best way to keep it from creeping in.
>>
Offhand I'd say put a fan in the window of room 2 pulling air in and a fan in the far window of room three blowing air out. If you had a third fan, I'd have it pull air into room 1.
>>
>>1173165
1. Complain to neighbour

2. If the building is no smoking allowed, contact building manager/superintendant/landlord.
>>
What color is your neighbor, what color are you?
>>
>>1173158
Preferably 1 or 2 but really any room would do. An over pressure would force the smoke out of your apartment. Just make sure you don't get too much air leaks from your apartment.

I connected a server to a vent to keep my house with over pressure.
>>
>>1173158
The first question you need to answer is whether or not the building is supposed to be smoke free. If it is, then report this to the landlord in writing.
>sauce: I own a property management firm.

If the building is supposed to be smoke free and a tenant continues to smoke in their apartment regardless of whether the landlord takes action, then the landlord is in breach of contract. The ONLY way for a landlord to not be in breach of contract is to prevent the tenant from smoking inside, or remove the offending tenant for breach.

Secondly, even if it isn't a smoke free building, submit a complaint in writing regardless.
>>
throw water on him.

"Oh I'm sorry, I thought you were on fire. My bad..."

repeat as needed
>>
start nsmoking

every ones happy
>>
mention to your landlord that you're concerned that the smoke smell is entering your apartment and you don't want to be charged for it.
>>
Having fans running 24/7 is noisy and if drawing air from outside when the weather is cold, not very comfy.

I've lived in houses where people above or below me were smokers. My observation: a few smokers will do the right thing and smoke outside. But MOST smokers don't. You can't rely on their generosity. After civil discussions where they agree with your points, they will eventually revert to their natural behavior. You will be pulling your hair every day.

It is a lot of work to keep your space free of 2nd hand smoke when there are smokers just a few feet away from you, almost impossible. You have to stuff and seal every vent to cap the flow of air into your space. That has the detrimental effect of cutting off heat to your rooms, which will freeze your butt during the winter. So you will need to then invest in portable heaters, which may overload your circuits. You have to seal doors, search for small gaps around pipes, gaps around wall outlets and switches, baseboards, etc. then caulk or spray foam them. Even after all that work, smoke may still get through.

You will then say fuck it and move, and never get yourself into that situation again.
>>
>>1173158
Teach yourself tapdancing. Or clarinet. And on a daily basis ask your neighbor to stop smoking in the halls. After a while you will get good at tap dancing and playing clarinet.. And he will get the hint.
>>
Tell him he fucking stinks like hobo everytime yo use him.
>>
>>1173400
>Teach yourself tapdancing. Or clarinet.

Nope, I have found from personal experience that learning the accordion or trombone works much better.
Figure what room they sleep in and pace the floor wearing cowboy boots.
When you go out turn on a stereo, point the speaker at the floor and play one song endlessly, I have used:

Paolo Conte, Happy Feet
https://youtu.be/gCc_rqwDiFo

Iron Butterfly, Inna Gadda Da Vida ( best at night)
https://youtu.be/ZCkHanF4v1w

70's Wonder Woman Theme (short, played over and over for hours, it really gets people mad, had a neighbor move after playing this for 3 nights)
https://youtu.be/J1rBZIzr49k

If there are no cameras start urinating in front of their door late at night, eat lots of asparagus and brussel sprouts.

Fan won't do much, cigarette smoke is oily and it penatrates everything and becomes ingrained, even painting over smoke walls won't help.

Develop a cough, tell the landlord their smoking is making you sick.
>>
OP, why don't you just ask them nicely? If they don't stop after that, ask again. I usually give tenants 3 strikes but don't approach them like a dick.
>>
>>1173158
do you know the landlord?
does lease say anything about smoking? it is often prohibited.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.