[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sup /diy/, i have a quick question: How in FUCK do i cut an

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7

Sup /diy/, i have a quick question:

How in FUCK do i cut an enclosure to put such potentiometers (slider type)? I dont have a laser cutter or any other sophisticated means, just a drill and stuff like that.
>>
Use a small drill bit to put a hole on either end of where the slot will be... use a dremel with cutting wheel or even a jewelers saw to cut out the slot... if it has to look pretty then go slow.. also consider clamping some kind of straightedged material above and below the slot edge to help guide the sawblade and keep it all straight.
>>
>>1172955
wont the cutting wheel break easily? were talking about aluminium here. its that easy to drill aluminium, but still, its a solid flat surface, not a piece of wire.
>>
>>1172956
Won't know till you try it...

Use eye protection..
>>
File: 1780495.01.prod.jpg (28KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1780495.01.prod.jpg
28KB, 300x300px
>>1172954
Nibbler tool.

http://www.frys.com/product/1780495?source=google&gclid=CIPF6-O12tMCFdmPswod-M4DGQ
>>
>>1172957
ill get cutting wheel shards in my face. i think there must be an alternative method.
>>
>>1172956
Make sure you keep it going in a straight line. Also, try several shallow passes, not going all the way through until the end.
>>
> how do i cut a line in something
This is actually the most retarded question I've ever read on here.
>>
Drill a small hole
Cut slit with jewelers saw
Chew out enough in a spot with the saw to get a flat file in it
Finish with file
>>
>>1172954
Nah man, you need a laser. There's no way a hacksaw blade will work. There's no way a dremel tool will work. There's no way drilling a series of holes will work. There's no way a whiz wheel will work. Go get a laser cutter.
>>
>>1172966
reeeee

i knew this was the case but had hope on /diy/s magic tricks.
>>
>>1172954
layout -> drill -> saw -> file
>>
>>1172972
He was being sarcastic, and you're a fucking idiot. Of course all of the above will work. How the fuck do you think we cut lines before we had laser cutters numbnuts?
>>
>>1172959
hand nibblers are hard to do anything pretty with, and that model sucks especially.
>>
The whole point of grinding/cutting wheels is to cut slots in metal.

Ironically, the harder the metal the better, so Al is going to be one of the more annoying to cut. Tends to gum up the wheel. Steel, iron, brass, titanium, etc, cut like butter.
>>
going to cut using some diamond wheels from ebay. will buy a lot, because they seem to go down fast.
>>
>>1172991
argh, you don't need fucking diamond to cut through steel or aluminum! You're just going to waste that shit.
You want the cheapest goddamned oxide or fiber-reinforced wheels you can get.
>>
File: not-fucking-diamond.jpg (186KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
not-fucking-diamond.jpg
186KB, 400x400px
>>1172991
>>1172995
You're using a Dremel or the like? Here. You want this. You're welcome.
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (100KB, 1001x1001px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
100KB, 1001x1001px
>>1172995
>>1172996
what about these? they look like they inflict serious damage.
>>
>>1173008
They would inflict serious bodily damage, they wouldnt work for shit on metal though
>>
>>1173008
that's for wood. look up the difference between an angle grinder and a table saw.
>>
>>1172960
I've cut aluminum with dremel disks before and it works fairly well, if the disks explode they hurt a bit if they hit your face, but as long as you have eye protection you've got nothing to worry about, grow a pair.
You can use a jeweler's saw and a file, you cut the basic line hole and then you make it perfect with a small file, it takes quite a bit longer but if you have patience it will look just as good if not better.
>>
>>1172996
bought some of those today. they work pretty coolio. ty my mann.
>>
>>1172954
Dremel blade, dude! practice first and only use fiber reinforced wheels
>>
>>1172956
One word, fiber reinforced cutting wheel >>1172960
why are you such a pussy? Get some goggles and look at what direction the wheel spins, point the blast of metal shavings away from you.
>>
>>1172972
Nonsense. A Dremel tool or even a fucking file will get the job done.
>>
File: 61E1+9JAbCL._SL1500_.jpg (127KB, 1500x1363px) Image search: [Google]
61E1+9JAbCL._SL1500_.jpg
127KB, 1500x1363px
>>1172960
Get one of these, they're like $15 and are a fucking godsend in the shop. I use mine instead of traditional goggles/glasses whenever I can, not only does it protect your face but it's also comfier, doesn't interfere with a respirator if you need to wear one, and doesn't fog up as easily as glasses.
>>
>>1173947
Agreed. Love them. They're also cheap enough that I don't give a fuck when they get jacked up. They are basically disposable IMO. Great for doing grinding work.
>>
File: 1494194056341.jpg (85KB, 1143x616px) Image search: [Google]
1494194056341.jpg
85KB, 1143x616px
>>
File: Klutch Angle Grinder Holder.jpg (126KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
Klutch Angle Grinder Holder.jpg
126KB, 700x700px
Yes, all of the above methods would work, but your results are going to be wonky without proper set up and making jigs. Angle Grinder + Holder plunging into the middle of your enclosure until the entire blade passes through will make precise 4-5 inch slits. Or you could cut from the underside of the enclosure top. That way your blade can make shallow cuts for small slits and when you flip it over it will not show the partially cut ends.

Another way would be to cut the enclosure into strips and then mount the strips between the sliders.
>>
>>1172954
What material is the enclosure made of?
>>
>>1172954
hot knife
>>
>>1174229
I often melt plastic holes with a soldering iron. messy, but functional.
>>
>>1174347
This eats holes in the tip plating also.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.