[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

guys i got this split running down my log leg on this homemade

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

File: 0505171830[1].jpg (897KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
0505171830[1].jpg
897KB, 2560x1440px
guys i got this split running down my log leg on this homemade desk, is it going to keep splitting?
>>
>>1172836 i had to get a new butt because my old one had a crack in it haha
>>
>>1172836
>is it going to keep splitting
doubtful
>>
>>1172836
That happens as they dry out. If you're lucky it's as dry as its going to get and it'll stop, otherwise it'll keep running.
>>
File: DSC08332.jpg (93KB, 620x413px) Image search: [Google]
DSC08332.jpg
93KB, 620x413px
You can try putting in some butterfly biscuits to stop the crack from spreading from use but as other anon said, it probably wont do much if its still drying.
>>
File: 1494023847581.jpg (672KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1494023847581.jpg
672KB, 2560x1440px
>>1172836
Are there screws going through it from the other side of those rails? Did you predrill your screw holes? Because if there are and you didn't, then yah, it's gunna keep splitting. Remove the screws and drill out the holes a touch to relieve the strain on the wood then reassemble. That will prevent it from spreading further. A wormdrive clip around the wood, hidden at the top behind the rails will also help hold it all together.

Meanwhile, is this the tip of a screw? Because if it is you have basically fucked your timber by splitting it through its core with a screw that is waaaay too fucking long for the job, and it will fail eventually. You should be using screws 1/4 the length if that is indeed a screw tip.
>>
had same problem with desk I made out of bananas.....
>>
Put a tiny amount of resin in the crack, bind it with some clamps or zip ties until the resin cures, hope for the best.
>>
>>1172910
step 1, how did you seal it?
sealing the ends slows down the cracking as the log dries and lets the wood adjust instead of cracking a lot better.

it may or may not split all the way across, there's really no good way to tell. Make sure the bottom isn't sitting on cold tile that has condensation, dry masonry is ok.
You can make sure that it will stay structurally sound, if not quite as pretty, by drilling holes through it and gluing in dowels across the crack.

basically, it's caused by the outside drying out faster than the inside, causing it to want to pacman because of the stretch. You COULD run a circular saw down it which would give it a place to relieve the stress and then put that on the side with no cracks.
But it will also be warping and changing shape a bit, and any screws in it will be something it is fighting.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.