[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone have experience with these things? I'm building

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: s-l1600.jpg (167KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
167KB, 1600x1200px
Does anyone have experience with these things?
I'm building a device and I want it to have a built-in keyboard.
I'm thinking of drilling holes in the enclosure of the device itself and having the black part of the tactile switches stick out.
>>
Won't work if your enclosure's metal. Otherwise, whatever, go for it.
>>
>>1171835
Why not? Are the black parts conductive?
>>
>>1171836
Oh, I thought you meant a hole for each pin. If you're drilling a hole for the button and somehow securing the body to the enclosure well enough that a button push won't dislodge it that'll work fine.
>>
>>1171833

i wouldn't recommend using these guys coz they feel just terrible. if you can re-purpose a USB numeric keypad, or a telephone keypad, or something from an old calculator, that would make repeated use so much less annoying..
>>
>>1171833
Those buttons are nice but a bit hard to press, unless you use your thumbs it'll be quite annoying to type with them fast.
If you're going to use the longer ones don't make the holes so there's as little clearance between the button and the hole as you can, the sticky bit of the button doesn't stays perfectly vertical as you press it, tight holes will make this unnoticeable.
>>
>>1171860
>don't make the holes so there's...
I meant DO make holes just big enough to fit the button stem, or else they will just rock around the hole.
>>
an alternative to physical switches would be to use capacitive proximity switches, using a chip like the PCA8885TS/Q900/1,1

i recently added a proximity switch to my RasPi and it's very cool to see it turn on just from me swiping a finger across it. your shit could be like the computers in Star Trek:DS9.
>>
>>1171860
>>1171859
hmmm...I can't seem to find decent caps for these things to make them easier on the fingers. Maybe if I used the shallow ones and press them through the hole with a stylus or something.

Of all the shit I even constructed keypads were always the hardest part.
>>
>>1171833
>I'm building a device and I want it to have a built-in keyboard.
Why not just buy a shitty mini keyboard and wire it in?

Alternatively, use membrane switches like you see on most cheap keyboards. They're really not that bad.
>>
>>1171899
>membrane switches
How do they feel under the fingers?
>>
>How do they feel under the fingers?

you ever use a microwave oven?
>>
>>1171901

Like membrane switches.

Given that you don't know what they are, I can say, with 99.9% confidence, that you used them to type out that post.
>>
File: membrane switches.jpg (169KB, 1558x721px) Image search: [Google]
membrane switches.jpg
169KB, 1558x721px
membrane switches are rarely used in keyboards, coz they're annoying as hell to type on. if you've ever seen a Sinclair ZX-80 you know what i mean. usually they're used in appliances.
>>
File: image.jpg (92KB, 1120x630px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
92KB, 1120x630px
what other anons said
would also like to add that dome switches are probably the cheapest option (pic related)
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.