[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How difficult is it to get into /diy/ leather products for someone

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

File: il_fullxfull.1015737153_ry6y.jpg (361KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
il_fullxfull.1015737153_ry6y.jpg
361KB, 1500x1000px
How difficult is it to get into /diy/ leather products for someone who isn't /diy/ at all?

I want to make stuff for personal use like keyfobs and wallets.

the type of shit you see on cotter leather and eternal leather.

what sort of tools would I need and how would I source the material
>>
https://youtu.be/jwpr0HJ0bb4

this should suffice
>>
See if you have a Tandy or something nearby just to start. Another option is a Boy Scouts of America council/camp store. They tend to be overpriced, so don't go hog wild. Buy a bag of cow scraps, I can get like a pound or so for a couple bucks but I'm sure it varies.
You'll want awls and needles both.
Waxed thread, too.
I'd ask the clerk what they think is appropriate. Patterns and such can be found pretty easy online.
There's a couple folks that frequent here with waaay more experience than me, I'm sure they'll drop in.
>>
>>1171544
Oh, to add to this: don't buy a starter kit. You'll end up with a bunch of shit you won't use yet.
I prefer the 'buy once, cry once' approach, but there's a shitload of different tools for leather, some of which have incredibly specific uses.

Also forgot: you won't need one for like a wallet or whatever, but you'll eventually want a mallet and a stitching pony.

And get a cutting mat. Doesn't have to be a fancy leather specific one, just get a self-healing mat so your wife/mother/grandpa doesn't beat your ass for ruining the coffee table.
I can't be fucked to walk out to my shop, but if I think of anything else I'll add it.
>>
>>1171530
Soft leather is pretty easy to sew. Use a stout needle (like an embroidery needle, but any thick steel needle should work) and lots of thread, or poke holes with an awl and use whatever strong cordage as normal-ass lacing.

Pick up some discarded women's handbags and the like to practice.

>>1171545
>cutting mats
just use some newspapers or a phone book or smth jeez
>>
>>1171856
That's an option too.
I don't read the newspaper and I actually use my phonebook occasionally, but whatever works.
Just don't ruin your table.
>>
>>1171938
plenty of places give out free local newspapers, like student papers or local indie music scene rags or w/e

that or I just use the booklet style flyers and catalogues that I get as junk mail
>>
>>1171530
it's really hard just call your local licensed leathersmith if you need something done
>>
>>1172000
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE GET OUT
>>
>>1172000
>>1171530
Thats actually not true.
Leatherworking is one of the easiest diy things to get into, unlike electronics, motors, constructions..
>>
I picked up my tools from AliExpress and I guess the quality was as low as the price. This was a bit of a measured risk from my side since prices locally or internationally would have been prohibitive after shipping cost. Now, I have the tools to fix some of the flaws but if you don't I can't really recommend anything that isn't foolproof (e.g. stiching forks) from there.
>>
>>1172127
any link to what you got incase I want to go that route?
>>
>>1172186
Not really, I just searched AliExpress for "leatherworking" and went for the cheapest of the things I wanted.
The forks were probably the ones that were the most bang for the buck since the combination edge beveler was really dull and a brass awl holder thingy was more or less scrap metal.
>>
>>1172046
this,and the only cost after initial purchase of tools is leather and curing agents (that will last you a long time)
>>
>>1171544
I saw this awl and waxed thread at Horrible Freight the other day for cheap: https://m.harborfreight.com/quick-stitch-sewing-awl-91812.html

Any idea if that'd be worth a damn, or should I find a Tandy store to get basic tools there?
>>
>>1173754
It's probably fine to start with!
It's Harbor Freight, if it's busted and shit just throw it through the window and take your money back.
>>
>>1173754
I know nothing about leather, but I do know that Walmarts sell a USA made one similar to that in the same price range.
>>
>>1173782
Its a Dritz Speedy Stitcher, but its 20$ so it is more expensive. You can still go into your store and get it though
>>
Hmm
>>
>>1171542
clicked on this and bingewatched a ton of wallet making videos. I'm definitely going to buy some wallet making shit and make me a wallet. looks like you really don't need a lot of fancy tools to make a damn fine wallet
>>
>>1173800
Wallets are fucking easy.

>Golver's needle
>waxed thread
>leather
>couple hours

And the best part is you get to charge a decent amount for them.

Get a length of 2x4 and cut it up and add a couple bolts and wing nuts for a leather vise to hold the shit together as you're sewing so you dont stitch it one side tighter than the other, and you dont need to worry about alignment.
>>
Where can I source leather from. say the natural undyed ones that go orange and tanned over time. similar to the one in my op
>>
>>1173806
I'm interested in making a sheath for my Mora knife, and found a cheapish toolkit on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06W5TFX29/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_szrezbHQM8VPT

Would this kit be a decent buy, or should I spend the 20 bucks on a Speedy Stitcher? Not sure which tools are actually essential for doing small sheaths and pouches.
>>
I would not recommend a speed sticher desu. The saddle stitch is more durable and the more rugged look means that small errors don't stick out that much.
>>
Also, that kit is basically the same tools I got from AliExpress plus a few other (and cheaper). I would not put much faith in them but for a couple of simple projects you should be fine as long as you accept that they aren't going to perform perfectly.
>>
>>1174398
For a sheath you're going to want nice even uniform holes for threading. You could do this with a speedy stitcher if you're careful and meticulous with spacing.

The other concern is how its stitched. A speedy stitcher can only really do one sided stitches and wrapped over stitches that go over the mated edge.

You're better off using the punch and two needles.
>punch the stitch holes from the GOOD side of the sheath that will be visible.
>get a long legth of waxed thread and run it halfway through the first hole. Put a needle on both ends. Pass both needles in turn through the second hole, one going one way, the other going back through the other way.
>pull tight
>repeat all the way around your punch line

The bennefit to this stitch is reduced wear on the thread because it isnt wrapping over the edge.
>>
>>1174722
Another benefit is that even if the thread breaks there is still a second thread holding your seam together.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.