[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hello fellow /diy/ers? idk know you lingo much but i do lurk

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

File: 13067.jpg (143KB, 1584x1694px) Image search: [Google]
13067.jpg
143KB, 1584x1694px
hello fellow /diy/ers? idk know you lingo much but i do lurk and yous have given me lots of nspiration for my own projects. so thnak you. needlees to say first time posting here.

anyway: im trying bulid pic related for my sisters bday since shes back in school. shes had back surgery so cant sit a desk for long times so she has some special chair at work. i would like to build her one so she can sit comfortably on her bed and relqx and work on school stuff. and if i can make this well it will convince her to not drop thousands of dollar on her house for deperapre need of repair that i can do but she wont let me.

not begging just asking suggestions cos im rather stumped how to build this as im working with a broken hand. MUSTS: BE COLLAPSIBLE, HEIGHT ADJUSTABLE. basically just like the pic.

i have a few ideas im unable to sketch atm and and open to any ideas esespecially how to make it collapsible. thank you.
>>
File: babmoo9.jpg (1MB, 2576x1932px)
babmoo9.jpg
1MB, 2576x1932px
>>1171268
this is what im working with (as if you dont know what bamboo is) and what i managed to gather today and rough measurements. have plenty more bamboo to cut and use if needed.

i cant find any diagrams for a folding bamboo bed table so im kinda lost on this one. would screws be more effective for the bottom for integrity or twine bound then sealed with selac or whatever.

i kinda have an idea how to make it height adjustable (table top). any ideas or suggestions or offers would be grwst.
>>
File: 20170502_194226.jpg (1MB, 2576x1932px) Image search: [Google]
20170502_194226.jpg
1MB, 2576x1932px
>>1171278
Wrong pic
>>
File: $_3.jpg (13KB, 500x373px) Image search: [Google]
$_3.jpg
13KB, 500x373px
Build her one of these instead. I can't imagine OP's table without using heavy duty construction to withstand the weight and not give. You essentially have to make a giant U that won't flex.
>>
>>1171268
>sit comfortably on her bed and relqx and work on school stuff

Depending on her back surgery, "sitting comfortably on the bed" might not be recommended. Most "back chairs" are designed to keep the spine straight. I would check with her doctor and/or a Physical Therapist before I invested a lot of time in it.

I had one of these roll-away bedside tables for my wife and as anoter poster said that "U" has to take a lot of stress.

You cold try legs on both sides of the bed with a table that stretched all the way across.
>>
>>1172687
Yes. Also i wonder if it's cost effective to build this, especially with a broken hand. Are there any places that sell used hospital or assisted living equipment? Like a used office supply store but for medical furniture.
>>
>>1172825
>Are there any places that sell used hospital or assisted living equipment?

In general, no. The reason is Medical Insurance. They won't pay for used. It's cheaper to pay the copay on new than buy used outright. My wife had MS and I bought all her medical equipment on Craigs and Ebay for pennies on the dollar because there is no other market for it.
>>
>>1173767
I was thinking more of something like this, maybe with a brick and mortar store you can browse in.

http://ifmobility.mcservices.com/
>>
>>1173884
>http://ifmobility.mcservices.com/

Take a look at their prices. In most cases they are more than the Medicare 20% copay for the "retail" new price and "retail" is usually an artificially high price to give them room to "discount". Most suppliers will sell it new at a lower Medicare approved price.

On the other hand, if you have no insurance they might be an option but you can usually find better prices on Craigs or eBay.
>>
>>1174053
Yeah my thought was OP would buy it without using insurance, and the link was just an example. Can't know the actual price till you see it in person. But that's a good point, what OP wants I don't think is solely used in the medical field. Maybe a used office supply store or something.

At any rate I just figured it'd be more practical to buy one that's solid and adjustable right off the bat instead of trying to make one. Mine came from a Goodwill for 5 bucks, but that's random chance.
>>
>>1171268
>>1171278
>>1171287
OP, I'm sorry to tell you but bamboo is a shitty material for this application.
Two ways that adjustable height is done, one is adjust the angle of the legs, which won't work because you need a very rigid attachment. second is pretty much tube inside tube.
So my suggestion would be pvc pipe that nests, and drill holes so you can put in a pin at various heights. maybe a rubberband to keep it in? idk.

for collapsible, you have another shitty task, because it needs to be sturdy or it's worthless.
again, the best thought I have is like 6" of pvc that the table stem fits on and is pinned in place.
In this case, you can use epoxy to permanently glue a nut into place on the inner piece of pvc so it bolts together.

even if you COULD make it out of bamboo, the tabletop would be really shitty.

If anything, I would think that the best solution for her would be a really sturdy mount to hold a small screen above her head (basically >>1171491 with longer legs and a like a 12" flatscreen monitor) so she can lie flat on her back and touch type and use a wireless mouse and keyboard to work on anything with a computer.
Depending on the screen you find (go to goodwill and pawn shops looking for any small, light flatscreen tv with an HDMI port. it may need a working remote to change to the input, or may be able to with buttons, but anything with an HDMI should accept laptop input.
>>1171278
don't use screws. they'll chew up the bamboo.

bamboo shrinks a TON while drying, so you'll need to dry the bamboo you plan to use first, or all the joints will fall apart. should take about 3 months, rotate them so a different part is on the bottom every 2 weeks, check daily so you can discard the ones that split or get fungus or insect infestations. any thin stalks that are less than 3 years old are not worth even trying. (every year the root culm grows a new stalk, getting thicker as it gets older)
>>
>>1174413
do a google search for bamboo joints, it's a totally different material than solid wood and has it's own joinery methodology.

I think the best solution would be something that mounts/clamps onto/slides onto her headboard so she doesn't have to deal with legs around her head/shoulders, or worry about moving and having one side slip off the edge and slam the screen into her face.
>>
>>1171268
That is a hospital bed stand.

Buy one from a used hispital supply store, clean it up and personalize it.

It will still be uncomfortable to use. ( you would know if you were ever in a hospital bed for any length of time)

Build her a lap desk.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.