[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /diy/ers, I've made a small charcoal foundry before,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: unnamed.png (95KB, 851x638px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.png
95KB, 851x638px
Hey /diy/ers,

I've made a small charcoal foundry before, but here is my new design, please tell me if its possible.

I have 100% of the material with me, I just wanted to ask before i construct...

Th long tube would hous either a hairdryer or a leafblower to pump air very fast. That little attachment to the main tube will be a container filled with 99% Isopropyl Alchol (of which my job throws away waste IPA in the gallons per day).

It will have a little nozzle so that I can control the amount of alcohol going into the main melting chamber.

Everything would be welded or such.

Let me know what you guys think!
>>
File: 208674.jpg (532KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
208674.jpg
532KB, 1920x1080px
>>1171184
What's stopping the flame from burning where the air and the alcohol meet instead of in the foundary?

Also seems dangerous unless you have a check valve preventing the flame from going into your tank of alcohol
>>
File: DSCN0192.jpg (2MB, 3185x3431px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0192.jpg
2MB, 3185x3431px
>>1171184
My waste oil burner is like that.

You want to slope the air pipe downwards a bit, so if oil leaks it goes into the furnace - rather than down the blower.
>>
>>1171187
the air is gonna be traveling very fast, but I mean the alcohol can directly feed into the chamber rather than the pipe

>>1171191
thanks dud
>>
>>1171201
You want to mount your crucible above where the flame enters as well, so flame is circulating around the crucible, heating it evenly - rather than twating it on one side.
>>
>>1171184
Yeah that open container of alchahol looks dangerous as fuck op. Nice work with the free fuel tho. I use used motor oil until i get cancer and die. I work at a qysrry so im getting scoliosis or whatever anyway.

Dont got pics but i keep a 55 gallon drum near and bucket 1 galon at a time to an old metal boat tank. Cooper line from boat tank and needle valve to control flow. Got a new 6.5hp shop vac for blow harder than my first girlfriend.

The vacuum is fucked. Anyone know wtf could be wrong? I dont know how they work.
>>
>>1171212
>The vacuum is fucked. Anyone know wtf could be wrong?

Did you check the carbon brushes? They could have worn out.
>>
>>1171184
Two words
1) flame.
2) arrestor
put inline with feed.

Also look up "venturi effect" and basic side-draft carb design. That's how to properly mix the fuel and attain a correct fuel-air mix.

Good luck anon.
>>
>>1171228
can i /diy/ a flame arrestor for less than $8?
>>
>>1171191
Solid idea/10. Also make blower wuickly removable. Smoked 2 hair driers that way. Also if u got the scratch buy or male refractory cement. Plaster is hell and sucks my ass.
>>
>>1171211
This 100%. From experience. Also consider a spacer slightly smaller than your base of your crucible for it to sit on. Will lift it in the air for heating the crucible bottom while simultaneously cutting the hole off in the bottom for the molten aluminum to flow through when something gives. 10/10 never vuilding another foundry without that spacer or tapered bottom and 2"+ hole.

Fuckit. Im go electric
>>
>>1171219
No but my dad got it new. Used it twice and it fucked up. So i got it. He got another but would be handy to also have a good shop vac.
>>
>>1171229
All a flame arrestor is, is metal mesh. So yes. Though with IPA you aren't looking at a gasoline type explosion if it burps. Still..... better safe than crispy.
Might even pick up a sidedraft carb from a junk/scrap yard or old lawnmower with a trashed engine. That would have everything you need including fuel adjustment. Though it would have to be a large engine to have good enough flow.
>>
>>1171229
Heavy metal gauze or honeycomb.
Pack a couple inches of pipe with it and the flame front cannot travel back through it.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.