[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to power a USB output with a candle. Does any of the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

File: Wilesco-D2-Close-950.jpg (462KB, 950x770px) Image search: [Google]
Wilesco-D2-Close-950.jpg
462KB, 950x770px
I want to power a USB output with a candle.
Does any of the following make sense :
1. Tea light powered engine.
2. Rotation of the engine /flywheel attached to a dc motor? /dynamo.
3. The electricity produced is then stored in a battery
4. Battery powers USB.

I'd like the electricity to go straight into the USB and not use rechargeable batteries desu. I've never done diy b4. Don't be harsh.
>>
prolly easy done senpai

just replacce where the output is thats going to an LED with one of them USB car charger circuits
>>
>>1170803
this would actually be a pretty cool project OP.
>>
>>1170806
I'm dumb and don't quite understand what you mean
>>
>>1170819
You got discord? hmu before this thread 404's
TTT#2866

I'll explain it a bit more.
>>
>>1170823
This is a slow board, don't worry about 404ing for a few days.
>>
>>1170826
Meh. Discord is easier
>>
So, the thing with sterling engines is, they have no torque, at all. And the machining of them is a bitch.

I looked into doing it as a school project, decided against it, the tolerances were just dumb, and I had a job to hold down.
>>
File: 1463900980303.jpg (30KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
1463900980303.jpg
30KB, 600x800px
>>1170803
>what is the first law of thermodynamics
I think you're going to be severely disappointed in the energy that tea-light contraption generates.
Factor in conversion inefficiences (especially with a mechanical system), and i'd be surprised if you get anything useable out of it.

Honestly, a peltier stack is probably going to work better than the rube goldberg you're thinking about putting together.

Also, >>1170823, is there a /diy/scord yet?
>>
>>1170871
Yep, I think a thermoelectric device is more likely to get useable power. Those little sterling engines can spin up fairly fast, but there's barely useable torque behind them. Though designing a molten wax fuel cell could also be pretty fucking awesome, if you happen to have a masters in electrochemical engineering.

I too would be interested in a /diy/scord.
>>
Did some googling,
Tealight wattage = ~30 watts with a transfer efficiency =~70%
Best Stirling engine has 50% efficiency
DC generator has average 85% efficiency

30 watts x (70%)(50%)(85%) = 8.9 watts

At 5 volts (USB voltage) that end up at 1.7Amps. Pretty viable, enough to charge a phone or run a LED light.

This is pretty idealized though, and it would be easy to get half as much or even less power with cheap components. Realistically, the efficiency will be lower because the heat transfer efficiency is artificially high when you consider its begin piped into a heat engine.
>>
What about using the candle and utilizing the seebeck effect our something similar and then transforming the output?
>>
I had an idea like that few months back, posted it on /out/ but got laughed at.
I still think it could work, someone will make it, produce it, and make a lot of money.
>>
>>1171208
Well there is that one thing that burns kindling and charges your phone while boiling a pot, never seen anybody take it while tramping though.
>>
>>1171208
Honestly you could probably just attach a fan to a furnace that you're gonna use the heat from for cooking anyway
>>
>>1170809
This.

Make it so anons.

My ideas..

>hot air rises so wind?
>peltier?
>steam engine shit?
>solar???
>>
>>1170871
Fuck.... would it light a good 5mm led? Like ~12,000mcd? Also yes. There is a discord. Fuck that faggot ass app.

Someone please make a fb shitposting/diy group
>>
>>1170892
Fb pls when ;( i cant be trusted with vodka and a vpn
>>
>>1171030
It would take all fucking night but a 1ah charger could charge your phone assuming u dont an hero ina fire. I think my shitfuck s7 has a 3.7v 3ah?? Batt?
>>
File: Screenshot_20170502-180429.png (2MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170502-180429.png
2MB, 1080x1920px
>>1171208
;( out no bully pls. The least autistic board i found. Pic very related.

>least autistic
>most autistic photo ever.
>>
>>1171030
Yeah, I'd agree that's a VERY optimistic assessment.

OP's idea involves just charging a battery though, which in turn powers the USB port whenever in use. If he only uses the USB at a 10% duty cycle that gives him quite a bit more headroom.

>>1171208
/out/ are purists, don't let their opinions stop you.

I've thought about making a backpackable steam generator for powering accessories before. Fill a boiler with river water, drop it in the campfire and use the resulting steam to spin a small permanent-magnet generator.
>>
>>1170834
But I'm not allowed to talk to strangers
>>
>>1171241
>mcd rating and no angle rating
Try harder
>>1171246
>1ah charger
Try harder
>>
>>1171030
I would realistically expect maybe 1W or less. I don't think you could get the heat transfer to the stirling to be good enough without a custom design.
Also, fire-powered chargers already exist, this is not a new idea. They use peltier modules to generate power.
http://stowerenergy.com/product/candle-charger/
>>
>>1170803
tea candle produces 4 things reliable
1) light(single candle strength/mirror to focus(focusing mirror/doubles light)
2) heat(direct via peltier stack/wax) just remember to have a cooler side for it to work well
3) steam(if you have a small metal container with water, attach to piston/motor, better than sterling engine)(connect to peltier for double the fun)
4) hot wax/smoke/co2, again peltier, also tiny fan

Arrange the above to prevent overheating/underheating/damage to each component. Chimney the smoke and heat to maximize the power draw. Use high efficiency capacitors to minimize energy loss. Use small copper tubbing and radiator fluid to cool/redirect heat to your steam engine. Have cooling stack for the released steam, if done right you'll reduce water consumption.

Several hundred to thousands of dollars for professionals to do this, several dollars and a lot of time to do it yourself.
>>
>>1171290
If we can have outdoor solar panel chargers, which are completly useless unless in strong, direct sunlight, and people still buy them all over the world, it's just a matter of time till someone makes a portable steam powered charger & floods market with it. Better take printscreens for future refference.
>>
>>1170836
Tell that to the guy that drove his sterling powered truck through town...
>>
>>1171246
How fucking retarded are you?
This is bait right?

Assuming you have a 3 amp hour battery, then a one amp charger will take 3 hours to charge it.
>>
>>1172233
He referred to a charger's speed by a capacity/charge rating, so pretty fucking retarded.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.