[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

i'm trying to restore a rusty old toolbox and tools. the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

File: il_fullxfull.300582632[1].jpg (315KB, 1500x1340px) Image search: [Google]
il_fullxfull.300582632[1].jpg
315KB, 1500x1340px
i'm trying to restore a rusty old toolbox and tools. the google says wd40 and a heavy duty sponge but i don't know what to do about the hard to reach places. also am i going to have to repaint it afterwards? it's a handmedown from a great uncle and it would be a shame to get rid of it. i don't want to half ass it,. i want it back in as original quality as i can. thanks in advance.
>>
It might be better to leave it in whatever condition it is in now, from a historical artefact point of view, but if you are keen on extending its life, then...
Find a paint colour that closely matches the existing.
Strip off current paint with paint stripper and then a wire wheel to remove rust.
Apply primer, let it dry, and then apply 3-4 coats of finish.
If you really want a tough finish, you could then spray that with one of the 2K in a can clearcoat paints, such as http://www.eastwood.com/paints/2k-aero-spray-paints.html
If you are near a powder coating place, you could also try that, or look for 2-component marine paints if you have any boating stores around you.
>>
>>1170355
Mineral spirits and a plastic wire sanding sponge should work. I stripped my motorcycle exhaust headers of old paint and corrosion. Bonus: You won't get all light headed.
>>
>>1170355
>google suggests meme oil
Figures.

Looks like it would need a full paint strip and recoat, new leather, and new or fully disassembled and polished hinges and catches, assuming they haven't been oiled. If you're not willing to transform the work into something that no longer has your honourable great uncle's scratches and coffee stains, I suspect you'll just want to give it a little oil and use it to store things inside. But if you do decide to restore it completely, it should make a particularly nice, sturdy toolbox.

The 50% route, to strip the rust, maybe replace the handle, but leave the scratched paint bare or clear-coated, and go right the way through the latch and hinge mechanisms with a wire brush, is the most appealing route and will probably get you the best of both worlds. I might even leave the surface rust and just clean off the bits on and inside the latches and hinges such that it's perfectly functional.

I'd personally look at removing the rust with a chemical method as opposed to abrasion. Leave it in the solution for 5x the time and you won't have a single spot of red oxide left. I'm no expert on rust removing formulae, but look for one that won't harm the paint if you want to keep it.
>>
File: webcam-toy-photo2.jpg (67KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
webcam-toy-photo2.jpg
67KB, 800x600px
for referemce this is the actual box
>>
File: webcam-toy-photo3.jpg (74KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
webcam-toy-photo3.jpg
74KB, 800x600px
>>1170385
>>
File: webcam-toy-photo5.jpg (63KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
webcam-toy-photo5.jpg
63KB, 800x600px
>>1170386
>i wanna restore the tools too
>>
>>1170385
shit, that looks in real good shape. i'd look for bad rust spots and sand them down, maybe paint a little primer over them and that's it
>>
>>1170391
cool, thanks for the reply. it was a gift from a long dead relative who worked his ass off with it for forty years... i wanna show it respect and give it another forty years for my work.
>>
>>1170385
>tfw I have the same style but longer that I got from my grandpa
Nice OP
>>
>>1170355
>wd-40
>using the sprayable jew

Cmon OP. Use evapo-rust
>>
>>1170401
i tried sanding it and now it looks worse... can i just get a good paint and paint the damn thing?
>>
>>1170426
didn't mean to quote
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.