[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hey /diy/ i asked the weapons board what woods were best for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

File: download (1).jpg (4KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
4KB, 275x183px
hey /diy/ i asked the weapons board what woods were best for beating people up without breaking ( im starting to take stick and knife fighting classes and they want to charge 10 bucks a stick and i wanna make my own damn stick) when i realized that you guys might know more then them so please tell me which woods are best
>>
>>1170225
anyting tool handles are made of because they are designed to withstand shock. so ash or hickory.
>>
I suggest bamboo rods, which have a natural springiness which causes them to sting more when applied to the skin. Ask any Vietnam POW.
>>
Ash, Hickory. red oak can work for small training staffs/bokken.

to a lesser extent rattan, used by groups like the SCA,
>>
>>1170225
>/diy/ is a board of peace
+1 bamboo - its got a bit of a sneaky kick, like its inventors for use as instrument of torture, and if you break that, you overdoing it. If you want 'solid', classic, won't break before the customer does wood, baseball bats are generally made out of maple; tho, you also get bats made of bamboo - these are also illegal in quite a lot of places. Told you, bamboo was sneaky. A lump of Brazilian Olivewood or some shit is also gonna give someone a headache, prob. jar the shit out of you as well tho.
>>
>>1170225
Olive wood will make a nearly unbreakable beating stick.

Also heavy as fuck.
>>
>>1170225
I'd say hickory would be a pretty good ass whoopin stick. I'd want something sorta flexible so the impacts transmits into the thing you're hitting, and not your hands/arms/wrist
>>
Having beat numerous things to death with chunks of wood in my life, I can assure you that any type over 3/4 inch thick will be enough to out last whatever you are hitting with it.

That said $10 is probably cheaper than you can make them for once you factor in time.

If you really want to make your own and price is no object I would start with hedge apple blanks bore out almost all the way through, put some lead weights at the closed end, then refill the hole with an appropriately sized down in the lightest material you can find. Cut a little button of hedge apple that matches the grain pattern to cover the hole, then sand and apply a dark stain.

More power to the hitting end, common materials, damn hard to tell if done right. It's the perfect beating stick.
>>
Take a tip from the Irish.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shillelagh_(club)
>>
>>1170225
Just buy one for $10. You cheap cuck.
>>
>>1170225
Hickory is best, aside from rare meme woods
>>
>>1170227
>>1170236
>>1170280
>>1170691
>>
petrified wood
>>
>>1170225
Don't ever, ever use bamboo.
you want rattan, like the pic you posted. Hardwoods work for real fights but they are really too heavy. The secret of Arnis sticks is speed, speed and more speed. Hardwoods are too slow. $10 is a very reasonable price.
Protip; the more nodes (joints where leaves grew from like bamboo) the stronger the stick is. You can order raw rattan singly or in bulk (ebay) that is the diameter and length you want. Bake it then use a torch to make the burn pattern. You won't save much money, but it will be something you made.
Big long sticks are slower than shorter sticks.
A squared off end can cut like a knife, so most people don't round them off.
For your class, use the size your instructor wants you to.
>>
>>1170225
>i asked the weapons board what woods were best for beating people up
You should probably ask /pol/, they've been into that lately.
>>
>>1171003
Based stickman
>>
>>1170225
Japanese white oak.
>>
File: k spear.jpg (15KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
k spear.jpg
15KB, 800x600px
might as well ask this question here. can anyone suggest a good method for tapering the ends of a hardwood dowel?

making a spear, and have to socket the head and but cap into the shaft.

only option i can think of is to use chisels and drawknife to cut the ends into a taper.

anyone have any suggestions? I don't trust my eye as its as straight as 9 guys fucking 10
>>
>>1171689

drill out the appropriate size hole in a block of wood as a guide, then use a spoke shave or whittling knife or whatever tool you have
>>
>>1170999
Rattan is the way to go I have a mace made using it for sca fighting. It'd getting harder to get though lately because less countries want to export it as a raw material.
>>
>>1170847
well, you ain't exactly wrong....
>>
hedge
>>
>>1171689
There are two ways of doing it. Its kinda hard to explain. Basically draw long skinny triangles. Use a woodplane to cut the outside areas a way.. The thick end of the triangle is the end of the stick and the pointy end is facing where you hold. This ensures you get perfect tapers.
>>
Always been a huge fan of staff fighting.. Its just wood, so if it breaks, make another innlike 2 hrs.. But in eventnof a zombie apocolypse, i would use metal conduit piping, with a hypodermic type tipe cut at the edge... Lightweight, and should last long time
>>
>>1170225
you're gonna want rattan, hardwoods are a bad choice because when they break, expect shrapnel
>>
>>1174483
This. Just this. Look if your into filipino Kali like me, just find some really good rattan.
>>
>>1171689
wood lathe?
>>
>>1170225
I am actually going to break trend here and recommend buying a stick

martial artists have been using sticks for thousands of years, and have been making sticks for just as long
"it's just a stick"

I shaft a lot of my own tools, and I can tell you there is a lot involved in getting good tool-wood

>bamboo
NO, NO, you can't use bamboo
it forms very very sharp vertical cracks when impacted, when drying that will cut your hand, like an egg shell it's durability is inversely exponential
what you see people using is NOT bamboo in 90% of cases

at the level you want a stick to perform it becomes a fine balance of
>weight
whole doctrine here, some guys train with a heavier stick and fight with a lighter one
>flex
has to do with the reflective force when you hit something with it
>grain
must be really good
>hardness
too hard fragments, too soft gets damaged over time

I know guys getting into eskrima who just got "a stick" and wern't allowed to use it because the wood could splinter, was too heavy/not heavy enough etc. it's a liability for everyone if someone is using sub-standard gear, weapons even more so

better to ask your instructor than us, there isn't a 100% consensus even in the martial arts community

also buying sticks shows more respect, and that you are more serious
>>
osage, if you can find it, but its hard to work. Hawthorns cool too
>>
Buy the 10 dollar rattan sticks, they won't let you use other ones in training. Rattan made to break in a non Lethal way, as it doesn't splinter and won't kill the dude you're sparring with
>>
>>1176245
i'd ask the instructor where he gets his sticks before buying it could be some lame dojo selling reject bats
>>
>>1170225
>you are not going to get a comparable end result for less than $10.

Also, how cheap are you?
>>
>>1170282
>having beaten numerous things to death

what? story?
>>
>>1170241
false, baseball bats are traditionally made out of white ash.
>>1171689
yes, the easiest common tool to use is a belt sander. clamp it to the bench and spin the rod against the belt while holding it at the correct angle.. If you don't trust your eye then drill a hold in a board and mount it at the correct angle.
also, a handplane would work better than either chisels or a drawknife.
draw a circle and lines at the spot you want to get it down to in pencil, so you'll know that you've tapered it enough when they disappear.
>>
File: stick.jpg (51KB, 599x554px) Image search: [Google]
stick.jpg
51KB, 599x554px
>>1170225
>not wanting stick to break so you have two stick
>>
>>1177122
Baseball bats are very commonly made out of sugar maple too.
>>
>>
>>1170326
>cuck
Id like to watch a video of OP putting a dent in the top of your head with whatever wood stick he happens to make.
>>
The British Army have been beating rioters with Hickory for decades for a reason. Hickory or don't even bother.
>>
>>1176787

>raise exotic pheasants
>don't own gun

Really only on way deal with a coin that you can't shoot.
>>
>>1179271
did he trigger you, cuck?
>>
>>1170225
If you are going to the class use the class equipment. If you are going to be "that guy" that wants to do things his own way. Quit now, save yourself 3 months of trying to be a unique snowflake. You will anyway.
>>
Two words, OP:

>Guava Wood

Guava is a vastly superior hardwood to rattan or any other wood type you'll find to fashion escrima from. Growing in straight ass 6'-12' shafts which are 1"-2" in diameter, it is both very dense AND very flexible. Heavier, denser & far more flexible than hickory even.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.