[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I moved into this new house. My bedroom is quite small (pic relevant).

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

File: received_1693053704045177.jpg (5KB, 188x264px) Image search: [Google]
received_1693053704045177.jpg
5KB, 188x264px
I moved into this new house. My bedroom is quite small (pic relevant).

I need a bed. I'm currently sleeping on the floor which I don't really mind but when my girlfriend is over or when I come back late I cant be asked to set up the bed. Also. It's noisy af sleeping on the ground. Can hear all footsteps.

Want something that won't take up the entire room. I like doing diy and need my large desk space for all my work.

Was considering building a loft bed out of steel rectangular tubes using bolts between the joints. Then plastic coating everything. Build a desk underneath the loft that pokes out of the loft(monitor under the bed but I won't fit underneath as the roof is too low) . We've got the house till next September so I'm going to try and avoid welding or any permanent solutions.

I could deal with a small single bed on the floor that takes up the room but I like building things and need to start on my portfolio so why not make this. Besides it'll probably cost as much as a decent bed.

The ceiling is about 2.2m high.

A Murphy bed is another solution.

Is using a metal frame going to be too squeaky? Especially with my girlfriend over, what's the point if they can hear it all of it. I've made some 3d models as to how I'd have built it but the roof turned out to be lower than I expected so need to rework them.

I'm stumped so any suggestions would be helpful.
>>
>>1169992
1. decide bed size
2. decide normal or loft or murphy

metal is not squeaky as long as everything is properly braced and tightened and copper greased

wood is arguably a better material
>>
>>1170002
I wanted to use wood but was told that itll take up more space, which material wise makes sense. I haven't got that much experience with wood so Im not sure how thick the legs would be to support the weight of two adults. What would you say is good?
Any material suggestions? Dont want to spend too much but dont want to go cheap mdf, especially since Im going to be working with it.

Im probably going to go with a loft. I need the extra storage space for all my ongoing projects.

Size wise, I guess Ill go with a "single double" bed. Should give me a meter to work with.

Ive done some wood working, so not a complete novice, but I havent yet gotten a hang of best materials/joints. Will just using wood screws be good enough or should I start practicing my joinery skills?
>>
>>1170043
For bed building you don't use mdf. Any timber posts should do, pine is entry level tier and is probably what you should use. Plywood is also good for beams and surfacing. For size go for 75 mm rectangle or above.

To make a loft just add bracing to the structure to rigidify it, i.e. diagonal pieces.

Joints, mortise and tenon joints are enough if you want to do some woodworking, but screws are enough.
>>
>>1170046
You say that, but my previous bed was a cheap ass bed made out of mdf and plywood.

Thanks! Yeah I can do mortise and tennon so Ill consider that in my design. Should I consider adding things like a metal beam to help support in case of sag as on side will need to be open for me to go through, or should it be fine?
>>
>>1170055
>sag

no, that is what a beam is for, it just needs to be vertically tall
>>
>>1170046
>75 mm rectangle

When you say that you mean at least 75x75mm or 75 on the wider edge?
>>
>>1170057
75 x 75 or there about
>>
Here's what you need. http://www.hiddenbedusa.com/
>>
>>1170068
Slightly outside of my price range. I think a loft might be more suited now looking at it. I dont care about walking space as much as I care about shelving/desk space that I can actively use so ill probably stick to that
Thanks though
>>
>>1170072
How high are your ceilings? I know that the odds of anyone on this here basket weaving forum ever actually getting laid are near zero, but if it ever does occur you're gonna want some headroom to flop around in your bed together and you may not have it with a loft bed
>>
>>1170244
If I'm honest the 3 main reasons I'm building this is to stop noise from the ground, to help my portfolio and for that. My ceilings are about 2.2 meters ish. I'll check exactly when I get back home. If I don't make it a full loft and instead use the area underneath as a storage/desk I think there should be space for sitting up
>>
Do you own any other rooms around this one? What is above you? Can you make a mezzanine floor in the roof space above the room next to this?
>>
>>1170253
2.2 meter ceiling is literally below standard, most will have minimum 2.4 meters nowadays

Because of that, it would seem you should just make a taller than normal bed with storage under it, maybe even with a step or two to get on so you get massive storage, rather than a full blown loft bed because you won't have comfortable headroom.
>>
built a double bed (2x2m) elevated to 125cm + 15cm mattres, so I can use the space under it for a fridge and storage.

From my experience, the 1m that are left to the ceiling(2.4m) is ideal, even with my height of 185cm I never bump my head, sex is no problem either ;)

but if your ceiling is lower than 2.4m it might stop beeing worth it. i can be in there slav squatting, but 20cm less and you are basically squatting, might only fit a shelve then.

Personally, I think your bed belongs in the lower left corner.

After all, something, that you can flip up against the wall would work best, as your room is really small.
>>
>>1170985
Assuming this is UK, a standard double is 135 cm × 190 cm, depending on your size this might be enough, it is a small room afterall

(from wikipedia)
>>
If I were to build a 5 or 6 foot tall loft using angle iron for my twin xl size bed what size should I use? Pretty much noob at this
>>
>>1169992
Get a large hammock you nerd. Just sink some eye bolts in a stud. Should work fine, but then that's coming from a nigga who built his house with the upgraded 2X6 walls. Not sure what yours are.
>>
>>1170968
Dont own the house, Im probably moving in about a year and a half so would rather not do anything too invasive. We do have an attic above though Im guessing working on that would be a nightmare in all areas and wont be worth it, so nevermind that.
>>1170978
Yeah I was probably wrong. I remember it was somewhere in the lower 2 meter region so it was probably 2.4m. I havent been back since I made the post so Ill check again but it is probably the lowest ive seen in a house, and Its quite a new property so the ceilings are probably going to be quite low, especially in London.
>>1170985
That actually might be a really good idea. I was planning on having the area outside of my desk and bed to be shelving/storage so might as well just turn the bed into massive storage. Maybe ill turn the back wall into a desk and then have the bed as you said, in the lower left. Probably wont have room for a double though. I practically sleep in a sleeping bag so bed size isnt much of a problem for me when im alone, might go for a single double.
>>1171300
yeah im not sure what kind of walls they are, though the property is quite new (built in 2001-2005 I think), so might be using some newer materials. New for england that is, one of the houses nearby is from the 1800s so.
>>
>>1171300
>>1171339
A hammock wont really work for me though, dont know If I itd work for sex or people sleeping over. Though ive never tried it in a hammock so who knows
>>
>>1171296
I mean I guess itll really depend on the bed construction. Do you mean to literally just use the angle iron as the legs?
>>
>>1171342
If there's anything better to use I'm open to it but that was my idea yes
>>
>>1171361
Im probably not the most qualified person here, though what I'd reccomend is removing the legs and then mounting a longer piece of wood/metal where it currently is. An alternative would be to shorten the legs and create a second lofted "floor", that the bed goes on top of. This might be safer as you'll know the floor can hold up the weight, as well as giving you a ceiling for the lower floor.

In no position to suggest though, so Im just giving food for thought, not informed reccomendations
>>
File: 14938177739041781891249.jpg (4MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
14938177739041781891249.jpg
4MB, 3120x4160px
>>1171339
This is what my double looks like in a 2.4m room, should work with a single one just as well
>>
>>1170985
>>1170978
Im finally home, just checked the ceiling is actually 2.2m.

>>1171586
Oh nice. Got any problems with creaking/wobblying? Could you tell me how much distance from the mattress to the ceiling?
>>
>>1171601
I put felt under every leg and also screw ancered it to the corner on two sides. no wobling or anything, thing weights maybe 50kg.
the distance: matrass top to ceiling is 1m, I'm >>1170985

I think it's doable. Your ceiling is 20cm lower than mine, you can maybe shorten the distance to the ceiling by 5-10cm. to be quite honest, you can leave out my slatted frame and replace it with fixed lattes, which saves another 5 cm and put the thing 5cm lower.

I also put some nice lighting there and you can make a holder with charger for your phone and attach it directly to the bed.
>>
will draw something up for you later. Go for a double bed in the corner if you can fit it. Then a long desk up against the window.
>>
>>1172129
Yeah that's what I was thinking as well. The width of the area before the closet on the wall is about 115-125mm. All I remember is it would just fit a small double so a Double won't work.

The main concern I have is thicknesses of materials/material choices. Would softwood planed timber work? (Official title they used on the retailers )
>>
>>1172178
>softwood planed timber
yes

also looking at your floorplan again, i dont think you have room for a double, go for a single bed
>>
File: art.png (460KB, 3965x2050px) Image search: [Google]
art.png
460KB, 3965x2050px
Okay, so for a models sake I decided to see what I'd end up with. It doesnt look too bad relative to the room. I was thinking one of the 3 layouts. Opinion?

A big desk would be nice but I feel like this gives me more "room" and I can put my electronics/hobbyist stuff on one side and my desktop+studying on the other. Could go with a U but that can be added later.
>>
Also, begining to regret trying to do this in illustrator instead of something else
>>
File: smallroom1.png (66KB, 1152x648px) Image search: [Google]
smallroom1.png
66KB, 1152x648px
>>1172319
all are shit, you have no usable space, the only good way is this
>>
>>1172330
The thing is that way will block my window access. The loft is going to basically be midway through the window making storage underneath terrible, the window inaccessible, and leaving me with a random gap next to my midbody.
If I do it this way Ill probably just get a single bed and work on a mechanism to make it bigger when needed
>>
File: IMG_20170504_225730.jpg (3MB, 4208x2368px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170504_225730.jpg
3MB, 4208x2368px
>>1172330
What that wall looks like for reference
>>
>>1172334
the bed can be just below the window, if you want you can make two tiny shelves next to the radiator to put your alarm clock or a book etc, you trying to fit into a tiny corner with those tiny desks is even more weird, you don't even have enough chair space, it is a very tiny room and my arrangement will maximize your movement space
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.