[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

just got a job with a sub contractor assembling grills and stuff

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

just got a job with a sub contractor assembling grills and stuff for home depot, what am i in for and how fucked am i

8ish dollars per basic grill
>>
I work at Walmart as a vendor, I see grill contractors all the time and they build them pretty fast. The grills are pretty basic but there are quite a few moving parts Good luck OP
>>
>>1169117
8 dollars to drive to one place and build a fucking grill?

Jesus what a shitty job. I make 15 in the hour it takes you to get there and build it. Just pray your locations are always close by. Think about it, if you have to drive for more than 45 minutes, takes 30 minutes to build it, 45 minutes home, you just made 4 dollars an hour.

If you drive 2 hours, takes 30 mins, then 2 hrs home, you just made Chinese children wages.

Don't get KEKED, find a better job.
>>
>>1169273
>If you drive 2 hours
where do you live that the nearest home depot is 2 hours away?
>>
>>1169117
>>1169119

Im a supervisor at Walmart. Department manager before and have our assembler working under me. He started out as a working for a sub contractor that built the bikes and grills.

The company that does this gets paid per grill/bike built (I was told that Walmart pays like $15 per grill/bike to be built). The guy will have to build them fast which ended up having some retarded grills and bikes such as parts missing, backwards, loose, and so on. Some the people were dicks. We told them to keep the UPCs and put them inside the grills but bitched about it because it was a "waste" of their time. Its fun watching customers bug them.

Our assembler we have use to work part time, got paid less, had to use his own tools, and traveled a lot. He works full time now and makes more at Walmart. I gave him odd jobs such as blowing up the big balls for the ball cage and such.

We will have an assembler coming soon because its summer time so they are going to want a shit ton of bikes for the outside and a lot of grills built for lawn and garden.

So a run down.
>The more you build, the more your company gets and makes you look good.
>You get paid less.
>You are going to have customers bug you. Unless the store throws you in the back of the store.
>You are going to travel to all different stores.
>You are not going to have time to make every one of them look good and not shitty/retarded.
>Your chance of working will depend on the need per store.
>>
>>1169117
I assume you're working for one of the two national assembling companies. $8 is not good, they can pay more but you need to figure out how to make that happen.

What fucks you is
-set up time, including getting the to pull the grills
-clean up time, trash cardboard and transport of
-teaching the associates to process your bill

Most of the hd grills are cake. A couple will take you 45 minutes even once you have them memorized and are skilled (pic related). You can bill the store well when they have special requests, so do those. We would use a sku that was 40% of sticker.

The other assembly company is even worse $4 a bike.

Go learn a trade, become a mechanic, or go to school or something.
>>
>>1169386
You'd have to pay your guy a lot to make as much as the subs even at poor piece-rate.

>bikes
these take a good amount of tools and skill. You guys have a few seriously Chinese shit bikes that will barely function correctly. It costs time to repair many that come in defective just as it would cost time to sticker the bike damaged that you already unpacked and will not get paid for.

Walmart or HD are fine to sub for. It's the corporate assembly companies that have poor ethics. Someone above you will try to build up the high paying inventory, schedule you to travel, or stop scheduling you. If you get in tight with a store, work with the supervisors or DMs directly. They'll call you in and you'll build them up. It cuts out the handful of middle men that will make things difficult.
>>
>>1169373
Not him (or her or zer or whatever, pardon my privilege), but
> Atlanta
>>
>>1169410
>The other assembly company is even worse $4 a bike.
$4 for a kids bike is spot on.
$7 for an adult wally bike is average

Sauce
>bike shop owner
My assemblers get $5/kids $11/adult $16/road
But these are more complicated builds than slapping that chink shit together
>>
op here

>>1169273
yeah 8 dollars for a small grill, the bigger a grill the more money (8-16). i drive less then 20 minutes and have more grills to assemble then i know what to do with

for everyone i make 2 are sold

>>1169386
>>You are going to have customers bug you. Unless the store throws you in the back of the store.

im in the bowels of the store in a loading dock like warehouse, still had a customer ask me a question
>>
>>1169117
>how fucked am i

Boredom, Blisters, & Bandaids

I highly suggest you wear some thin gloves.
>>
>>1169547
I'm not going to argue that those with the mental and physical fortitude to pump out 40+ bikes a day aren't going to do alright. It was fine for awhile in my experience.

It's other things that cut into your production and moral that people might not consider
>difficulty of build doesn't factor into the $4 flat rate
-lots of cable work, wheel truing, fork straightening, brake aligning, etc
>your crap coworkers will pump out crap work and be paid more than you
-doing the job correctly is punished rather than rewarded
>stores will need your help moving the inventory
three guys knock out 200 bikes in a day "We can't just leave these outside"
>after developing a good rapport with a store, supervisors or outside assemblers will come in and overcharge or burn said store
>processing bureaucracy
>expandability of labor force

It comes down to, people that have the ability and desire for the work should get under private businesses not Conglomo Assemble.
>>
>>1169561
Customers are the single worst fucking thing in my life. I fucking hate people
>>
>>1169902
Same here, but I spend 6 out of 11 hours in the back of the store, 1 hour on lunch, 4 hours on the floor. Customers bug my on my lunch i tell them im off the clock and leaving (lunch). They get pissy and bitch, i keep walking. They do the same shit when im done for the day and shopping because I wear a blue fuckin hoodie so they are like "hes wearing blue, he must work here".
>>
I worked for Lowe's putting grills together, got 13 an hour plus money for production. Go work for lowes. Also you have to be able to run forklifts and drive a box truck but that's pleb shit.
>>
>>1169117
kys fluffy.
>>
>>1169117
they hire an outside "assembly" company to do this? way back in the day I worked at a hardware store - the first in the chicago area that was billed as a "Super Store". a forerunner of the "big box" store. before Builder's Square and later Home Depot and Menards became a thing. anyway, whenever something needed to be built for a display model etc they had the employees do it. they would soon figure out who was good with their hands and who was a idiot with tools. I was one of the 'good with tools' guys. I enjoyed building the items. of course there was no huge pressure to churn stuff out in 30 seconds.
are these bikes or grills being built for customers after they have already purchased or being built ahead of time for display and sold later?
how many bikes or grills would you be asked to do within a regular (8 hour) day? I mean if yer not able to make couple hundred bux per day it doesn't seem worth it?
>>
File: IMG_7106.jpg (1MB, 2446x3137px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7106.jpg
1MB, 2446x3137px
>>1170625
This is what my company charges Home Depot per item, i get a percentage of each
>>
>>1170579
I worked at lowes , they had a spiff for wheel barrows. It was like 1 or 2$ per. And you were expected to get w or 3 a hour done.

Well a little packing tape (to hold the bolts in place) and a electric impact wrench, an i was doing 8-10 an hour.
>>
>>1170714
The worst thing i ever assembled was a tow behind leaf vacuum.

I was alotted 10 hours to put it together.

Took 6 hours.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.