[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Trying to think of what I can use to make a hard shell to fit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: il_fullxfull.799396847_i3ds.jpg (96KB, 1060x1057px) Image search: [Google]
il_fullxfull.799396847_i3ds.jpg
96KB, 1060x1057px
Trying to think of what I can use to make a hard shell to fit over my thumb(s) for use in greenhouse work. They get pretty sore after hours of using them to snap off tough stems.

I usually wear gloves, so I don't think it would need to be adhesive.

So far I've thought about plasti-dip, or some moldable plastic (though I'm not sure how thin that could get).
>>
Bondo
>>
>>1168968
You really need to use a tool for doing that. I've worked at massive greenhouses before. There wasn't a single job I did where I had to touch the plants directly to perform the task. I always used a tools of some kind. If I didn't I've had nothing but bloody and green hands. Even something as simple as a boxend wrench can be a live saver for thumbs.

What is the plant and what part of the stem are you snapping off?

As for your question, looking into vacuum forming plastic. A really small mold, a vacuum cleaner, and a heat gun are all you need to form plastic in the size you need. You can make your shell then line the inside with a thin layer of 100% silicone for gripping.
>>
>>1168970
thanks, I probably wouldn't have thought of that

>>1168977
they're various flowers (many geraniums), a lot of the job is cleaning and getting them ready for shipping, ie. taking off whole flowers/buds

afaik, if you use a knife or scissors you would have to sterilize them after each plant to prevent possible contamination/spreading disease, which would be not practical

>vacuum forming
I'd really like to have a setup for that at some point

any speficic type of plastic? hdpe?
>>
>>1168983
>afaik, if you use a knife or scissors you would have to sterilize them after each plant to prevent possible contamination/spreading dise

How is that any different then using your thumb ?
>>
>>1169004
When he uses his thumb he isn't cutting it, he's snapping it. Thus, he's never touching the wound.

>>1168983
HPDE doesn't like sunlight so if you use that, use black. In fact, you can use a piece of PEX tubing in the size you need to slip over your thumb. Use a heat gun to form the tip how ever you like. You could knurl the outside so it grips things.
>>
File: Kydex.jpg (31KB, 465x465px) Image search: [Google]
Kydex.jpg
31KB, 465x465px
>>1168968
Kydex is really easy to form and mold. Heat it up in the oven and it gets as soft as a wet noodle. it regains it's rigidity when it cools off.
>>
>>1169045
Second the Kydex idea. It's popular for pistol holsters and easy to work with. A heat gun works well for forming it.
>>
>>1169035
You can stipple plastic as you would a polymer pistol grip area. Easy to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwDyEHmV4Kw
>>
>>1169035
>PEX tubing
hmmm

it does not have memory?

>>1169045
cool

any cheap places to get some?
>>
>>1169050
you typed those questions into an input box on the world-wide-information-super-network thing and hit a button but sadly it was the wrong box and the wrong button.
>>
>>1169050
>it does not have memory?

The heat gun is what allows that to work. You can form and/or melt together with it.
>>
>>1168968
You could just buy a thimble.
>>
>rubber glove + plasti dip
>dip your fingers in and cut to the length that's comfortable

yep, that's what I was thinking

>>1169067
sure one can google things, but you have a better chance of getting up to date, relevant info from other people with experience

>>1169075
>The heat gun is what allows that to work. You can form and/or melt together with it.
I meant that wouldn't heating it up "invoke" the memory effect and be counterproductive to trying to form it

>>1169077
actually I was just thinking that, but it would have be larger than normal and more fitting

leather was another option
>>
use a tool you fucking caveman
>>
File: itfitslikeaglove.jpg (46KB, 490x408px) Image search: [Google]
itfitslikeaglove.jpg
46KB, 490x408px
don't have any plasti-dip at the moment, but the molding plastic worked better than expected....this stuff is pretty cool

will see if it works; I have a feeling the tip might need to be a little pointier
>>
>>1169098
>sure one can google things, but you have a better chance of getting up to date, relevant info from other people with experience

It kind of helps if you tell from where you are. South Africa maybe? Bhutan? Russia? Belgium? Or maybe you are stationed on one of the Antarctica research stations?
>>
>>1168983
>>1169004
>>1169035
Why not use a pair of pliers then? either smooth jaw or dip the jaws in plastidip so the teeth won't cut into the stem when snapping off.
>>
>>1169293
Kokomo

>>1169296
that is an interesting idea
>>
>>1169416
>kokomo
FUCK YOU I HATE THAT FUCKING SONG AND NOW I'M SINGING IT

GODAMMIT

I mean, hate is a strong word. But I can think of millions of things I dont want in my head. It goes

1. Bullet
2. Dick(s)
3. Puff daddy songs
4. Goatse
5. The smell of death
6. Kokomo
>>
Try one of these?
https://www.amazon.com/Rubber-Finger-Protectors/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3ARubber%20Finger%20Protectors
>>
>>1169574
thought about it, think they're too soft
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.