[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to clean the rust/tarnish/whatever off my old bike. How

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_20170428_154651.jpg (241KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170428_154651.jpg
241KB, 720x1280px
I want to clean the rust/tarnish/whatever off my old bike. How would the /diy/ god's accomplish this?
>>
>>1168624
pro tier: disassemble and soak in citric acid and wire brush everything and put it back

pleb tier: spray wd-40 all over it
>>
It's time to replace that chain. They're like $10 and you need a $2 and five minutes. The other rust is cosmetic, but a chain that rusty is going to slow you down and come off the gears all the time.
>>
>>1168627
Enlightened tier:

disassemble, empty 30 cans of wd40 into a tub to get about 15 litres and soak for 2 weeks.

Reassemble and pour remaining wd40 into the hollow sections of the bike frame for lubrication.
>>
>>1168624
Replace your chain, sprocket and cranks (or buy a loose gear and change that) then get a cloth and Commandant no 4 for chrome and some wd40 or whatever for the rest . The brown is rust from the chain, your frame is from aluminium and doesn't rust brown.
>>
>>1168627
I second wd40, its good shit
>>
new brake cables....
>>
>>1168624
Considering its been out in the rain you need a lot of work. But its a shit kmart special, so go with:
>new chain
>degrease, scrub clean, relube the entire drive train
>Clean off the brake contact surface of the rims
>new brakes
>new brake cables
>clean and grease joints and moving parts
>remove seat post, clean post and tube, lightly grease and reinsert

And whatever the fuck you do, DO NOT use WD40 on a bicycle. Use only bicyxle indicated greases and lubes.

You want to replace your bike chain ten times faster than you normally do? Use wd40 on it.
>>
>>1169543
>You want to replace your bike chain ten times faster than you normally do? Use wd40 on it.
and forget to ever lube it again

it'll be fine if you shoot it with wd40 every time you ride
it'll be fine if you use motor oil on the chain every so often
it'll be fine if you use cooking oil on the chain every so often

AS LONG AS YOU USE SOMETHING
>>
>>1169543
That's retarded. I never had to change my bike chain and used WD40 on it all the time. They didn't sell hipster bicycle grease at the store 30 years ago.
>>
WD40 is more of a degreaser than a lube. Sure it contains a lubricant in it, but its mostly a volatile degreasing agent. The lubricant it deposits has shit for all film strength.

Combining the shitty lubrication effect it gives you, and the repeated
>>1169546
>it'll be fine if you shoot it with wd40 every time you ride
Applications of the degreaser it will strip out all the lube from the internal friction surfaces of the chain while depositing fuck all worthless lubrication.

So if you don't feel like sprayimg your chain down every.fucking.time you ride like the moron actually suggested. And if you don't feel like having a dirty grimy chain that leaves huge black streaks on everything it touches then dont fucking use cooking oil.

If you want a reasonable application interval with high film strength lubrication and reasonably low dirt attraction then go with a bike lube.

One little bottle will last the average home gamer 4-5 years. But if you wanna throw money at the wd40 and spray your chain "every time you ride" you go right ahead.

If I may make a suggestion. Purple Extreme. Its a miracle of miracles when it comes to dry lubes and performance.

>>1169563
>I never had to change my bike chain and used WD40 on it all the time.
Did you ever use a chain gauge to determine chain wear? If not then you can stfu with your I never had to change a chain b.s.
>>
>>1169716
>If I may make a suggestion. Purple Extreme. Its a miracle of miracles when it comes to dry lubes and performance.

$15, fuck that shit

just put a drop of oil on each link with whatever you've got lying around
>>
>>1168627
Use an acid bath of some sort.
I use vinegar personally.
Goto bmxmuseum.com, great forums for restoration.
>>
>>1168624
1st: Check to make sure the whole thing turns smoothly. If you lift the bike up and spin the crank and the rear wheel or crank has no inertia - or worse, sounds crunchy - then STOP!

2nd. If you had to stop due to that, you need to disassemble the bottoms bracket and crank to check where and what is effectively dead in them. If you never did or had someone else set the bike up for you, and simply took it home from the store, then you will likely need to replace both the bottom bracket and crank. At minimum the bearings would be the only thing shot, but your bike looks like trash so it's likely you'll need to do a full replacement. Additionally your breaks are probably useless so those need new pads at minimum and probably new cables, as well as new tires or tubes. Check if your rims are misaligned at all. And a new chain is needed. Make sure you put thick coatings of grease in everything as your put it all back together.

3rd. Wire brush ONLY the areas near or where mechanical contact is made on the frame. Keeping it looking rusty and crappy will serve as a theft deterrent, especially if you use a rusty chain lock. You obviously care about this POS bike since you're bothering to try to clean it up and thus likely can't afford having it stolen. (Or you're a moron who stole a shit bike hoping to clean & flip it.) Keep the pedals when you replace the crank and stick the old ones on. Spray NONMECHANICAL areas of the new pars with a little bit of WD-40 and then rub dirt on them to make them not look conspicuously new.

What you should end up with is a bike that looks like shit but rides like a dream.
>>
Soak crumpled up aluminum foil in water/vinegar, rub the rust off with it. Don't wash the aluminum when it gets dirty, the dirt makes it more efficient. The rust will come back eventually unless you basically wire brush/sandpaper/scrape it to the bare metal and put a new primer, but it should be enough for atleast a season.
>>
>>1168624
Not worth fixing.
>>
>>1168624

The cheapest and least invasive way of removing the rust is using a bath of molasses for a week or two. Look it up.
>>
Naval Jelly
>>
>>1171591

2nd this. Looks like a WalMart bike to me. A used competition or touring bike can cost as low as $300. Not even joking.
>>
Evaporust is the most effective rust remover I have ever used, that includes electrolysis.
>>
>>1169563
Yes they did... chain lube has been a thing for decades.
>>
>>1169543
This. I'll add I'd start with washing whole thing in soap and water.
>>
Wipe it with CLR
>>
Blast it with piss.
>>
Scrap it, put money towards new bike.
>>
Do what I do. Save your cum in a bottle instead of trashing or eating it. Sperm will work 4x as hard as grease would. Easiest solution. To remove the rust I'd suggest to just use your tongue. Saliva is best lube right below cum. Gl and happy riding.
>>
File: pleb.png (49KB, 599x353px) Image search: [Google]
pleb.png
49KB, 599x353px
>>1168650
using wd40 for lubrication is pleb tier
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.