[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /diy, I don't normally post here or do more than look

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 9

File: Atari-2600-Joystick.jpg (2MB, 2480x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Atari-2600-Joystick.jpg
2MB, 2480x2560px
Hey /diy, I don't normally post here or do more than look at the gore threads that are here on occasion but I have decided to take on a minor project and am looking for some direction.

I recently have gotten into collecting atari 2600 games and enjoy them greatly except for the old worn out joysticks that honestly probably weren't any better when they were manufactured.

I have looked around and found many third party ones for 30+ dollars but if I am going to spend that i figured I might as well use arcade components to build me a joystick or two that will cost around the same and offer superior performance. I am looking for ideas, mainly something cheap to use for a enclosure (cigar box maybe? where do i find those cheap??) and information if anyone has built something like this. sorry if this is too /r/
>>
>>1167842
One of my arcade sticks I'm about to gut is in a wooden box. The sides are 45 degree miter cuts with wooden strips on the inside recessed to the depth of the bottom cover. The bottom cover screws into those strips. The top, which the buttons and stick are screwed into, has four small right angle metal brackets in the inside holding the top to the sides.
>>
Something like this? Not sure if the top would be sturdy enough, but you could reinforce it fairly easily.
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0016ZXXZW/

You can use a Sega master system or Genesis/mega drive controller in the meantime if you have one lying around.
>>
>>1167876
i am good sir, also that purse box is a good contender, but i would like to have something wide enough to sit both hands over, something rectangular. also knowing how deep the box is helps a lot too.

>>1167871
pics pls
>>
>>1167842

I know these controllers well. having owned and still do own a 2600 ive had several of these shits break due to their shity designs. currently have an 80s aftermarket replacement that is similar in design but not an original controller. its easy to make or modify one, its just a matter of making something with switches and connecting the 2 leads on each "pad" to a switch. theres zero complication in their design. no controller board no electronic chips nothing. simple on/off pressure pads. but fuck me they broke too often
>>
>>1168159
yeah, i had to repair some too. but im more interested in using arcade peripherals to build a new controller.
>>
File: IMG_9029.jpg (451KB, 2109x1305px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9029.jpg
451KB, 2109x1305px
>>1168018
Okay it was a little different than I remembered, but hopefully this helps. The back panel (not shown) should be no thicker than the additional length of the outer thin panels. It sits on and screws into the thicker miter cut wall on the inside.
>>
File: IMG_9031.jpg (273KB, 1728x972px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9031.jpg
273KB, 1728x972px
>>1168550
They got fancy with the angles, but if you don't set it on your lap I doubt it matters much.
>>
File: IMG_9032.jpg (239KB, 1776x1206px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9032.jpg
239KB, 1776x1206px
>>1168557
As you can see the veneer, or whatever you want to call that, has peeled over time.
>>
File: 0623b.jpg (17KB, 400x376px) Image search: [Google]
0623b.jpg
17KB, 400x376px
>>1167842
back in the day there was a controller called "Slick Stick" essentially the same as the 2600 controller but built much more robustly. had a metal ball that made contact with metal plates inside the joystick to facilitate the controls. also the 'throw' was a lot shorter then the standard 2600 stick. those were the hotness back then.
>>
>>1168790
oh sorry they spelled it "slik stik"...
>>
File: Starfighter_3.jpg (96KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
Starfighter_3.jpg
96KB, 640x640px
>>1168790
there was also the "Starfighter". same company as the Slik Stik and the same size and same internal parts. the slik stik had the ball on top and the starfighter didn't.
>>
>>1168559
Thx,

Also having issues finding slick stick for cheap
>>
File: wico_command_control.jpg (43KB, 573x561px) Image search: [Google]
wico_command_control.jpg
43KB, 573x561px
>>1168814
The Wico sticks are what made me a bat stick fan for life. I see one on ebay for $14.95.
>>
Yeah, those original 2600 joysticks were crap. I still remember getting hand craps and soreness from trying to grip them for long play sessions. They also just plain sucked.

You can almost quite literally build your own Atari-compatible joysticks in a cave with a box of scraps. There are no circuit boards involved. Just get a 9-pin D-sub DB-9 female connector, housing, cable with at least 6 wires, and wire up the the loose end to your switches of choice. Or just buy a cheap controller, hack off the controller and reuse the premade cable. The pinout diagram can be easily found on the internets, or just figure it out yourself with a continuity tester on one of your own controllers.
>>
File: 41xLM5VtnCL._QL40_SX400_.jpg (11KB, 400x370px) Image search: [Google]
41xLM5VtnCL._QL40_SX400_.jpg
11KB, 400x370px
>>1169665
Incidentally, you can also look for joysticks made for Sega Master System and Genesis, and the Amiga for compatible controllers. This Epyx 500XJ was by far my favorite controller. It used cherry switches, so response was phenomenal. I even modified it internally with variable autofire with a 555 timer and color-coordinated parts from Radio Shack. The only downside to the 500XJ was that the internal structure was a little fragile, so a few good drops onto a hard floor could snap things on the inside. I've had to do a number of repair jobs on it. Also, my left-hand thumb tended to wrap around the top over the hard edge as opposed to along the side as the packaging images would indicate, so my thumb would get sore after a long while.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.