[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MITUTOYO OR STARRETT DIAL INDICATOR? https://www.mscdirect.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

File: mitutoyo dial.jpg (124KB, 307x600px) Image search: [Google]
mitutoyo dial.jpg
124KB, 307x600px
MITUTOYO OR STARRETT DIAL INDICATOR?

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/30752299

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/62498175
>>
File: starrett dial.jpg (100KB, 255x600px) Image search: [Google]
starrett dial.jpg
100KB, 255x600px
>>1166674
>>
>>1166674
Starret is Chinese now
>>
>>1166676
No it fucking isn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7JqXbm-Nwo
>>
>>1166674
>>1166675
hard decision, buy what matters to you

>which is cheaper? MITUTOYO
>Do you wish to only buy from american companies? STARRETT

desu I'd go with MITUTOYO just because I think you pay for the name with starrett, but that's my opinion.
>>
mitytoyo
not metric are you a fucking caveman
>>
File: free_3.jpg (88KB, 264x275px) Image search: [Google]
free_3.jpg
88KB, 264x275px
>>1166674
>MSC

you got till 11:30est to get that 40%+free shipping
i got a $15 nice chinese dial test indicator off ebay new and it works fine
>>
>>1166718
>desu I'd go with MITUTOYO just because I think you pay for the name with starrett, but that's my opinion.
It's like snapon. It's really good shit but then they tack on another 30%+ because they know it's good shit and people will buy it.

>>1166674
Mitutoyo for pretty much anything like this, all my stuff is from them save my edgefinder.

-professional machinist
>>
>>1166674
Mitutoyo.

And buy a tenth indicator as well because they are hardcore.
>>
>>1166957
Also this, if it's important enough to break out a test indicator, it might as well be a tenth's indicator.
>>
>>1166963
a tenth indicator on manual machines is a bit overkill
>>
>>1166964
Not if you're tramming the head or a vice.

.001" across 4-6 inches may not sound like a lot but when you do a three foot cut it adds up like crazy.
>>
File: protram.jpg (185KB, 1382x778px) Image search: [Google]
protram.jpg
185KB, 1382x778px
>>1166967
damn shame my protram indicators only have 0.001" resolution
>>
>>1166967
I still think a half thou indicator with the needle not moving is close enough, yes over 6" or a foot
>>
>>1166972
If you stay inside the jaws and on a single vice, .001" is usually good enough for most jobs. But I work in a job shop so we just do everything in tenths for vices and fixtures because it makes everything else easier and we don't have to worry about throwing the next job in it that happens to be +-.0005".

>>1166973
Half thou is plenty for a hobbyist, I'll agree to that but a one tenth's is only like an extra $10 from mitituyo.
>>
>>1166972
>protram
I didn't know what this was so I googled it and watched their introduction video. Never buy machining equipment from a company that doesn't know the difference between flatness and parallelism.
>>
>>1166979
That may be, but their stuff is alright.

This guy isn't usually a shill either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR9Nv9gUmWg

It just makes it more convenient because you don't have to spin the indicator around to check the other direction. Two indicators to look at when tramming the head in.
>>
>>1166679
https://www.amazon.com/Starrett-Indicator-Dovetail-Attachments-Graduation/dp/B00BB1A8YK/

Check out the nice reviews
>>
>>1166980
True but they should be better than .001 indicators for the head itself. Head error will only compound any in the vice.
>>
>>1166983
lol wtf, the starrett factory is still up and running, it's a massive facility too.

see here: >>1166679

Those guys have to be liars, shills if you will. Or maybe they received counterfeit items.

>>1166984
If the needles aren't moving it's better than .001" but it doesn't show you how much.
>>
>>1166986
Are you just NOW hearing about it?
They have shipped a lot of their tools overseas.
Check out their official website, they list the chinese factory and say that it makes "precision tools" AKA their measuring tools.

Nobody said its all chinese made, but more and more is being made there every year.
>>
>>1166988
that is deeply disappointing
>>
GODDAMNIT I literally just ordered a new indicator yesterday. I knew I should've waited.
Anyway, is Asimeto any good? My co-workers claim they're between shit like Fowler and better stuff like Mitutoyo/Starrett, but most of my coworkers are alcoholics so who knows.
>>
>>1167014
I would think that area would be Brown and Sharpe, but I could be wrong.

Interapid are nice too.
>>
>>1166674
Mitutoyo. They make very nice indicators. I have a couple of digital indicators and a digital caliper. My pro machinist bros use a shitload of Mitutoyo gear.
>>
>>1168570
I ended up with the Mitutoyo and a Noga holder.

The Noga holder with the fine adjust at the base is pretty fuckin' amazing. No complaints about the Mitutoyo test indicator either, the bezel is so clear it looks like it's almost not there. Very low glare from it.

Total for both was $200
>>
>>1167014
Buy a Noga holder with the fine adjust at the bottom.

Locks up rigid as heck and comes completely loose with one handle, easy to adjust, locks tight.

Perfect, also the magnet is super high quality. Easy to turn the on/off handle and locks tight.
>>
File: noga and mitutoyo.webm (2MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
noga and mitutoyo.webm
2MB, 640x360px
>>1168847
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.