[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>grandma wants a new sink >i can install that! i've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: that's it.jpg (6KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
that's it.jpg
6KB, 250x250px
>grandma wants a new sink
>i can install that! i've remodeled my entire kitchen and 2 bathrooms, no problem!
>her house is 15 years older than mine
>her shut-off valves are compatible with fuck-all in the modern plumbing industry.
>oh and one of her shut-off valves is broken so the water to her whole house has to be off.
>old faucet is busted so i can't re-attach that to stop the water
>I don't fuck with plumbing that goes into walls and shit.
>tell her to get an insured plumber to finish the job, I don't want to destroy her house with water
>spend 3 hours jerry rigging something that can securely close off the outlet of a broken shut-off valve so I can turn her water back on.

NEVER WORK ON ANYTHING OLDER THAN 1985 THAT ISN'T YOUR PROPERTY

FUCK ME.
>>
>>1165897
i also spent an hour at lowes with one of their smart plumber dudes looking for an adapter that will connect her new faucet hoses to the shut-off valve, they don't exist
>>
>>1165899
Pics?
>>
>>1165905
nah. shit's out of my hands now i'm never gonna think about this for the rest of my life
>>
>>1165897
>Live in Saint Louis
>Almost all homes built c.1900
>Century of mixed utility services in all properties
>Develop triage system for plumbing replacements
>Copper > pex > galvanized > PVC
>Cut and join sections the farthest distance possible up the chain when a fault is discovered
>Get adept at joining pex basement runs to a mix of galvanized, copper, and PVC in one goddamn building
>Kill self
>>
>>1165897
Top fucking kek.

Sorry op. For next time though lowes sells cheap af solder kits for copper or u can buy a $3 compression fitting. Or pvc or pex fittings.

Source: my shithole was built in the 1800s. Copper and cpvc. Bout to dig it all up and go with pex. Kill me.
>>
>>1165908
Not drinking out of or shitting down lead pipes.
>>
>>1165897
Multiple changes to building standards and code, especially in the 1970s. Not just plumbing, electrical too. Upgrade to modern circuit breaker panel, wind up rewiring entire house. Decide to replace old 1960 hollow core doors with new 6 panel with predrilled holes for door knobs. New standard is 2 1/2 inches higher than old. Gotta re-configure all door jambs in house. Try and reuse original solid core exterior doors and replace hardware. New hardware requires bigger sized holes because new standards. Try and get gas insert conversion for fireplace. Old fireplace is now "non-standard size". No modern insert fits without major modification. It's all 1 step forward, trip and fall down staircase.
>>
>>1165897
>>her shut-off valves are compatible with fuck-all in the modern plumbing industry.
So?

You chop them off and put new ones on. Big fucking deal. They don't last forever anyways.
>>
>Contractor is removing ancient heater we never used.
>One of those wall mounted gas tower heaters.
>Manages to get it off the wall and out.
>Massive as fuck asbestos vent to the ceiling.
>"We didn't see that."
>He covers it with a quick wall patch.
>>
>>1166917
>"Come at 9 to do this one job we scheduled a week earlier"
>Show up and start doing said job.
>"OH AND WHILE YOU'RE HERE CAN YOU THROW IN THIS SMALL FIX, IT'LL ONLY TAKE A FEW MINUTE OR TWO.

Fuck this and fuck these types of people so much. Would you ask a dentist "Hey while you're crowning this tooth will ya throw in a filling for free? What do you think the response would be? The best solution I found for this is:

>I don't have the tools on me

I learned to stop bringing all my tools and only the ones I need for a specific job. Easy way to get out of working for free and it encourages people to work out a checklist so I actually get paid to come back another day and do the work. If I work for the person a lot and they do recommend me to other people though I cut em some slack.
>>
>>1166917
Sgit anon the local highschool still has asbestos ceilings and the kids jumo off the stairs and throw thst shit at each other still.
>>
>>1166951
Well, he was doing the job given to him, we were setting the house up for sale and he knew we didn't want to fork out the extra several grand to fix that shit.
Let the other fuckers deal with it.
>>
>>1166951

I'd love to know why you think dentists are some basic standard of the tradesman.
>>
>>1167008
>I'd love to know why you think dentists are some basic standard of the tradesman.
I think you missed the point m8. Why would you expect anyone with a paying job to supply you with their work for free?
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.