[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is it that nobody has been able to design a mass produced

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 7

File: 1492913123174.jpg (13KB, 346x256px) Image search: [Google]
1492913123174.jpg
13KB, 346x256px
Why is it that nobody has been able to design a mass produced house that doesn't suck?
>>
>>1165895
Differences in climate, type of soil, weather, cultural needs and building codes

Ie. You cant sell a house designed for low foundations in a very smooth soil area

I think you're referring to prefab houses, thats doable because it would be like a lego set
>>
The problem is prefab houses look like prefab houses. Imo, it's no different from the suburbs that are all cookie cutter but appearance&location are more important to the majority over function.
>>
File: Freight-Container-sizes.jpg (411KB, 849x566px) Image search: [Google]
Freight-Container-sizes.jpg
411KB, 849x566px
>>1165895
But they do.
>>
File: images (5).jpg (6KB, 266x160px) Image search: [Google]
images (5).jpg
6KB, 266x160px
>>1165921
Prefab is best fab.

Build house 200k. Wait a year. Neighbor has 3 trucks pull in. 2 sides and a roof. 3 weeks of mexicans and loud banging. 150k. Nicer house. Mfw.
>>
>>1165973
STAAAAAHP!
>>
>>1166028
Just

IMO prefab should be inly for facades and interiors, actual structures and foundations should be built on site

Also, high density is the way to go
>>
>>1165895
>design a mass produced house that doesn't suck?

Look up Levittown (PA or NY both the same)

>To speed up construction, Levitt & Sons perfected a 26-step rationalized building method that was essentially an assembly line type of home building. The house remained stationary, while the construction workers moved from house to house. Each worker had one task such as pouring slabs, framing, installing electric sockets or installing washing machines. This highly regimented process enabled Levitt's workers to produce a finished house every 16 minutes. Construction of the homes commenced in 1952 and when completed in 1958, 17,311 homes were built.
>>
File: TinyHouse.jpg (340KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
TinyHouse.jpg
340KB, 1000x667px
>>1165895
Because everyone wants this ...
>>
File: CabriniGreen.jpg (92KB, 640x312px) Image search: [Google]
CabriniGreen.jpg
92KB, 640x312px
>>1166189
... on a budget of this.
>>
>Why is it that nobody has been able to design a mass produced house that doesn't suck?

The goal is cost containment. Want better? YOU design and build it then figure out a way to sell it.

That will answer your silly question which is NOT a fucking /diy/ question and IS a fucking spoonfeed question irrelevant to /diy/. Fucking tard KYS painfully go away eat scat and live.
>>
>>1166112
And they all were cheaply made and look like ass. The only reason that Levittown PA's original building still have any value is it's proximity to New Jersey.

To answer OP, there was one. The Edison Form houses built in the early 1900's. 18-24" poured concrete walls, conduit for phone and electrical wiring, the works. Edison envisioned this as being the bulk manufactured housing of the future, with a low profit per unit being offset by the builder making hundreds or thousands of the buildings.

The cost of an Edison home was $1,500 then, about $35k now. The profit to the maker would be about 10%, about $150 then, or $3500 now. The molds for the building was extremely complex and cost the builder $75,000 or $100,000 (I've found cites for both, which is $1.87 million to $2.45 million in current dollars.) You can see why this never took off. If your investment is nearly $2m, and you're only recouping $4k a pop, you'd have to build 500 or more houses just to break even.

That said, the remaining Edison concrete houses in the US are still literally rock solid and energy efficient. Modern ICF houses are almost as efficient as Edison houses, but are significantly cheaper.
>>
>>1165895
Because mass produced houses inherently suck because they're all the same, you faggot.
>>
>>1166208
>>1166235
No need to get mad
>>
I'm convinced that all contractors are huge scammers, and without gay (((building codes))) you average red blooded american male could build a home in a month
>>
>>1165895
Well, one person did.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_System-Built_Homes

Still a couple of these around, they held up well.
>>
>>1165895
Builders making too many houses contributed to the subprime lending crisis of 2007.
>>
>>1166232
>The only reason that Levittown PA's original building still have any value is it's proximity to New Jersey.
Kek, this is how delusional NJfags are
The only reason Levittown is worth anything is because of its proximity to Philadelphia
The only reason people ever cross a bridge into that shithole is because it is close to NY and Philly
>>
>>1167329
I've seen what your average DIY'er on a budget does when building a house. It includes using 1x6's as joists on a 16 foot deck, 16 inch width spiral staircases.

i'll take state/local codes over that any day.
>>
>>1165895
we just entered the age of semi-automated mass produced houses, give it some time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zb3zuk1qNDk
>>
>>1165895
>nobody has been able to design a mass produced house
We do, the modular housing industry is thriving, making affordable housing available for everyone.
>that doesn't suck
Nevermind
>>
>>1165895
England did it after the war, spent the next 70 years destroying them?

I've just been told that I can't have the same facia that my neighbour has, I don't give a shit if it would look odd having two house that look the same, I'm not living in my fucking neighbours house, I want the grande facade not the foo kind retro.
>>
>>1167570
I went to high school in levittown

Not a bad place, a bit redneck tho
>>
>>1166061
Well, he opted for 3/4" plywood floors and we put a concrete block foundation under it. In 5-10 years hes repkacint the shit vynil siding with cement board or whatever. I guess time will tell. I've stick buikt shittier houses...
>>
File: 20170424_094313.png (162KB, 1042x495px) Image search: [Google]
20170424_094313.png
162KB, 1042x495px
>>1166208
Pic related. Calm the fuck down anon. You didnt even sage
>>
>>1167329
LOL. build a home. By yourself. Ina month.

Anon i bet you dont sheet the roof alone in a month.
>>
>>1167547
And i helped! ;( kill me
>>
File: 20161130_052618.jpg (151KB, 448x499px) Image search: [Google]
20161130_052618.jpg
151KB, 448x499px
>>1167601
MFW buikding codes dont exist here
>>
>>1167629
I say fuck all yall anyway. Im buying my wife a new 2 bedroom and digging a fucking hole next to it. Not comming out ever.
>>
>>1167754
K maybe a couple months
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.