[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How far can you go with Eastern Red Cedar lumber (the extremely

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 7

File: Cedar Toolbox.jpg (294KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
Cedar Toolbox.jpg
294KB, 900x675px
How far can you go with Eastern Red Cedar lumber (the extremely soft stuff) in regards to utilitarian purposed builds?

I've recently received a free pallet of the stuff and love how aromatic it is, but hate how soft it is. The silver-lining is that, due to its softness, it'll make good practice for getting into hand-sawn dovetails.

Some things I'd like to make:
-Small Parts Cabinet for electronic comps
- Bookshelf
- Guitar case

All dovetail joints will be glued due to lack of trust in my ability and the wood. It's VERY soft.
>>
File: Wooden Parts Cabinet.jpg (147KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Wooden Parts Cabinet.jpg
147KB, 1500x1500px
Bumping with pics of tool cabinet ideas and other projects I'm entertaining the thought of.
>>
File: Wooden Parts Cabinet1.png (499KB, 473x709px) Image search: [Google]
Wooden Parts Cabinet1.png
499KB, 473x709px
>>
File: Wooden Parts Cabinet2.png (645KB, 560x734px) Image search: [Google]
Wooden Parts Cabinet2.png
645KB, 560x734px
This is something I'd like to go with. Also, if anyone has any tips, ideas or suggestions as to an interesting build design to aid in electronic component parts organization - please share!

I particularly have a lot of potentiometers and switches I've always had trouble organizing due to size and volume.
>>
>>1164416
>2017
>not using see thru and removable containers for parts

wood is clumbersome and heavy and just not a good material compared to clear plastic for this particular use, so, why?

i mean, even if you make a wooden cabinet you would still better to just put plastic trays in them for easy removal, or plastic bags, so really the wooden cabinet does not really matter as long as it can slide in and out i guess
>>
File: Cedar Document Holder.jpg (11KB, 430x323px) Image search: [Google]
Cedar Document Holder.jpg
11KB, 430x323px
>>1164420
God damn that is just such useful information to me. -__-

And regarding the see-thruiness of each drawer, I'm debating making glass windows for each for that exact reason. I've got a giant plate of glass and a cutter I haven't had a use for in forever.
>>
>>1164426
remember glass is heavy and needs extra effort to fix to the drawers

again, it's 2017, clear plastic is better

or, alternative to see-thru everything, you can label everything

how a wooden cabinet is made is not that important in the overall scheme of things
>>
File: Wooden Parts Cabinet 2.jpg (36KB, 495x500px) Image search: [Google]
Wooden Parts Cabinet 2.jpg
36KB, 495x500px
>>1164431
I'm not asking how it's made, friend. I'm asking if the properties of cedar are enough to expect the cabinet to last overtime.
>>
>>1164458
Pine is a popular wood for furniture and that lasts so ceder will be fine.
>>
>>1164458
>does cedar last
yes

however it is a softwood, a hard wood might be better for a shop environment, a softwood will probably be dented to hell just from usual normal handling
>>
yes, cedar would work, but you could get other wood that would work better for less money.
>>
>>1164458
I have a hope chest and a standing armoire type thing, both eastern redcedar, that see weekly if not daily use. They're both nearing on 200 years old.
Aside from the usual dents, dings, and scratches, all I've had to do to them was replace the hinges.
Not the same as a shop environment, but if you're looking for small electronic component storage I don't imagine they'd get too battered.
>>
File: IMG_5783.jpg (217KB, 472x630px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5783.jpg
217KB, 472x630px
>is cedar good for furniture
>cedar has been the lumber of choice for wardrobes, chest of drawers, closet linings for generations
>/diy/ doesn't know that though

You're all fucking idiots.
>>
>>1164483
stop being bipolar, nobody said you can't use cedar
>>
build whatever project you want. create veneer strips of cedar and glue that shit everywhere
>>
Where'd you get it for free?
>>
OP here. Sorry for the delay, just got off from work.

>>1164461
My initial thoughts while loading up all the free lumber. Then I took my pocket knife to it...

>>1164465
THIS is exactly what I'm concerned about. I'm wondering what the odds are of knocking a cedar parts cabinet over and watching a million pieces of cedar and electronic components mix all to hell and back. Now I'm trying to think of some type of cross sectional reinforcement that doesn't look ridiculous. Drawing a blank at the moment.

>>1164467
>freeeeeeee
still curious nonetheless. What lumber are you referring to? remember I'd need no more than 3/4in width for the outer back and sides.

>>1164475
I'm having trouble imagining this stuff lasting 200 years even in perfect environmental conditions.
>>
>>1164823
lol

>>1164844
my boss/your mom (boss of my dick)
>>
>>1164412

It's top notch stuff, it's soft textured in that it's easy to carve with a knife or saw but actually quite strong as far as durability is concerned, I've used it to build bookshelves, end tables, aquarium stand, etc. It's stronger than pine but not-quite average-hardwood tier, the main thing that makes it special is that it has fantastic rot and decay resistance, it's great for things that will be exposed to weather and environmental changes, such as outdoor furniture. Wear a respirator with a good filter when working with it, though, the dust can be really irritating and is a sensitizer so you can become more allergic to it over time.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.