[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone have experience with VFDs? I found one and I'm trying

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: board_01.jpg (91KB, 1184x666px) Image search: [Google]
board_01.jpg
91KB, 1184x666px
Anyone have experience with VFDs?
I found one and I'm trying to get it working.
So far I've found a datasheet for a similar one and I've tried powering it on, but no results.
>>
File: board_02.jpg (68KB, 1184x666px) Image search: [Google]
board_02.jpg
68KB, 1184x666px
I connected the GND to the top pin and 5 volts to the lower pin in pic related.
>>
File: layout.jpg (32KB, 666x1184px) Image search: [Google]
layout.jpg
32KB, 666x1184px
I mapped out some connections on the pins in the last post.
I connected the 5 volts to "SmlCap(VCC??)"
>>
Datasheet I found here:
http://www.bernhardt.de/download/displaydatenblatt.pdf
>>
>>1164391
I don't have time to read the entire datasheet but you will probably need to not only supply power to the display, but you will also have to send it data to be displayed if you want visible evidence that it is working.
>>
>>1164405

this guy's right. you need a komputer, and write code to send in data, much like you do for a 4-line LCD matrix display.

better find a simpler VFD that only needs voltages on its various segments.
>>
>>1164391
if its just the display( without driverchip ) you need 3 diferents voltages

- one for the filamentes. something about 2.5v ac or dc that doesnt matter

-another dc high voltage somthing like 30v. the negative is conected to filamente and positive to gnd.

-the last one is the voltage for the grid something like 5v maybe.

if you are going to use it with a microcontroler make sure to use transistors. common mcu dont get that high voltages.

al the characters are conected between. so you need to power on and of every caracter individualy( grid )

if the board have adriver maybe you are lucky. you just need to implemente a serial comunicacion probable something like i2c

sorry for my bad english
>>
>>1165468
Why the guesswork? OP has the datasheet, which tells how it is used. The module has all the required stuff to drive the tube and it can be connected directly to a microcontroller.
>>
File: 20170101_003416.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20170101_003416.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
>>1165470

>can be directly connected to a micro controller

Doubtful. OP will probably need a driver or to make his own out of discrete components.
>>
>>1165664

Never mind. Looking at the datasheet he can probably hook it straight up to a microcontroller.
>>
OP here
In the datasheet, it says there should be a 3pin for power and 16pin for signal, but the board I have only has 8 pins to connect it to an SDL to 8pin DIN.
So I tried to power it with just 5 volts on the pins I guessed were GND and VCC, nothing.
Then I tried to apply 0,8 volts to pins 2, 3, 4 in 3rd pic, to find the pin so I could make it go into test mode. Still nothing.
Now I'm not even sure if it works or not.
I was able to probe a chip under the screen, the 5 volts reached it. There don't seem to be any shortages anywhere.
Not gonna desolder the screen, very troublesome.
>>
>>1165665
you should still kill yourself
>>
>>1165686
>0.8V
Why? Just connect ground, preferably through resistor to avoid any mishaps. 0.8V is the maximum for logical low, but 0V is ideal.
>>
Show pic of other side
>>
I have no idea if this will help, I watched a few weeks ago by chance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clUVEyi_YNM
>>
>>1164394
>>1168677
It really looks like that the VFD needs to be powered separately to the µC. Which makes sense as the VFD draws almost an Amp in the EEVblog video, even if it is a different unit.

We really need a pic of the back side.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.