[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Log fence? How stupid is this idea? How would you go about "building"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4

Log fence?
How stupid is this idea?
How would you go about "building" this?
I have unlimited access to logs and chainsaws...
>>
>>1163929
>how stupid
if it works it aint stupid

>building
stack them like bricks and use epoxy as the mortar

>unlimited logs and chainsaws
and permit to fall them?
>>
>>1163939
>If it works it ain't stupid

Goodwill disagrees.

I'm actually thinking about building a similar one on a small scale with the shitload of mesquite I have. Going to use mortar to hold them in place.
>>
>>1163939

If he lives out in the middle of no where, any permit enforcing authority wouldn't show up nearly in time to actually prove the wood was taken.
>>
>>1163939
>permit

City cuck
>>
>>1163929
How much do you like bugs? All that space will provide excellent homing opportunities
>>
>>1163939
>and permit to fall them?
WTF? Land of the free again?
>>
>>1163952
trees are actually the domain of the feds.
>>
>>1164001
Maybe on BLM land, Yankee scum. Private property is still private.
>>
>>1164007
EPA and the Army Corps of Engineers would disagree. Clean Water Act is far reaching indeed.
>>
>>1164009
Well then we will just have to disagree while I deforest my land.
>>
>>1164009
Also, nigga you dumb, and cucked.

blogs.findlaw.com/law_and_life/2014/04/for-arbor-day-is-it-legal-to-cut-down-trees.html
>>
>>1164009
>>1164001
lol A few decades ago they tried taxing landowners here for how many trees they owned. The form asked "How many trees are on your property?" I always answered with, "oodles". I think that lasted 3 years before they stopped trying.

>>1163929
Masonry stone > literal shit slapped onto the wall > slipform stone > stone veneer > logs
>>
>>1164007
Until u dont pay your property tax
>>
>>1164107
Well taxation is theft. But I'll still chop down all the trees in spite.
>>
>>1164026
cool blog bro.

go read this

https://www.epa.gov/npdes/about-npdes
>>
>>1164115
Nothing in there that pertains to the point.

>46 states

Kek.
>>
>>1164118
removal of trees alters the flow of storm water run off.
>>
>>1164121
So does trimming your yard, or planting a garden. I'll be awaiting my arrest, Rajesh.
>>
>>1163929
seems like it may be a bit more prone to rot than a standard fence, since there is so much surface area and dark crevices for moisture to sit in
>>
Op here. First: who cares how i got access to logs. Jesus christ. Some people will argue about anything. I got landowners go if thats what you want to know. Second: anyone actually tried to build one of these? Epoxy sounds troublesome but what do i know. Thought about making a solid frame and just stacking logs inside.. thoughts? Yes my english sucks. From norway
>>
>>1164166
Solid point right there. Thanks
>>
>>1164132
yep, and if the run off goes down a storm drain, onto someone elses property, or into """navigable waters""" as deemed by the army corps, you will get fined.
>>
>>1164193
So which is it, you can't do this on your property, or your neighbor's property/navigable waters? Because your goalposts are on the moon right now, faggot. Also, did you even catch that OP is Norwegian? You're an idiot of the highest order.
>>
>>1164196
>So which is it
>i don't understand what run off is

anything you do to your property that could cause run off to go somewhere else, can subject you to fines. even if the run off is just "dirt" it is considered pollution.

i don't think i can spoonfeed you any harder.
>>
>>1163929
could you build a solid brick wall and hide the brick work with cuttings of logs? say 3 inches or so thick? Would use less wood and you wouldn't have to worry about rot so much
>>
>>1164205
Nigga, you is dumb, and completely off topic as the goddamn OP doesn't even live in the US. Oh shit, have to go, the Army Corps Of Engineers just arrived to do my monthly land study.
>>
>>1163929
Don't listen to this faggot:
>>1164001
>>1164193
>>1164205

Even though what he's saying is technically true he fails to point out that the EPA has been busy firing employees and filling out paperwork on a monumental scale since Trump has been elected. Also the EPA is like the IRS; they "go fishing" for big fish like facilities, corporations, builders and larger things that have a bigger impact on the environment. Nobody is gonna do shit if you cut down a few trees, especially if you have no neighbors around. The only chance something might happen is if you fuck up and hit someones house or kill someone and the police get involved, then they'll report on it and it travels up the line.

1.Cut all the logs 1-2 in larger than you need them to be.
2.Season them so that they shrink and the water goes out of them.
3.Cut them again so they're all the same length or just line one side flush when you go to glue them. You will need some kind of a "Frame" so the logs don't roll out the sides and to secure it to the ground.
4.Epoxy/industrial cement the shit out of the middle of the logs, OR stack then nice and tight and do the same thing with a caulking gun, I would do both personally. Take care in filling the bottom potion completely so chipmunks and other rodents don't build a home in it.
5.Belt sand the shit out of the surface you want flat.
6.Seal with Helmsman spar urethane for a long lasting finish. Use a paint gun. Will be expensive though.
>>
>>1164242
>2.Season them so that they shrink and the water goes out of them.

Definitely season them - which means store them, cut to size, for at least 4 months but ideally a year or so
>>
>>1163929
it's really fucking cool but it'll rot faster than yo mama's crotch. you'll want to strip all the bark off (massive pain in the dick) and then spray the all the logs down with some kind of stain/sealer to help keep em from rotting. then assemble your fence.

if a job's worth doing it's worth doing right anon
>>
>>1164112
Kek. Me also. Fucking epa and corps cucks btfo
>>
>>1164121
The fuck ever. Im cutting down a dozen cedars not slash and burn a mountainside.
>>
>>1164494
>cedars
Cedar is probably a good choice, it's less prone to rotting then most woods, if I remember correctly.

>>1164170
>anyone actually tried to build one of these?
Back in the 70's there was a magazine called "The Mother Earth News" full of lots of small-farm sustainable-hippy-lifestyle stuff.
One article showed a house built this way, using mortar for the gaps.
I thought they were long gone, but I just Googled them and they're still around.
They sell back issues in digital form, $10 for a year (6 issues).
I can't remember what year it was though.
>>
>>1164170
HERE are the problems

1. The wood will dry out and then the fence will become a fire hazard. One idiot throws a cigarette butt in there it will go up in flames.

2. Cockroaches, snakes, carpenter ants, etc. will take nest in all the small gaps. You'll start seeing cockroaches in your house as they wander around.

3. It can easily be tipped over. There are no support beams installed to keep it from falling over.

4. Wood is alive and dead wood changes shape as it dries out. Whatever height etc. you start with will change as the wood dries out.

5. It's not treated like fence posts so it will rot very quickly.

There are multiple reasons people don't do this. It reminds me of those magazine picture living rooms where they have a TV above the fireplace. Looks cool, but where do you hook stuff up at? You'd need to build a shelf on the side to hold the cable box, DVD player, etc. and even then you're stuck looking up to watch TV vs watching it at eye level on a TV stand. Point is, it's a neat picture but it's just not practical.
>>
File: SUqlwjO[3].jpg (107KB, 736x551px) Image search: [Google]
SUqlwjO[3].jpg
107KB, 736x551px
>>1164547
people been stapling firewood logs against their houses for centuries, never a problem * If its instabile? you doing it wrong - chuck in corner / end supports if needed.

* apart from the odd one burning down, maybe, but, Gods Will, and all.
>>
>>1164547
Confirmed for not knowing much about use cedar. Some of your points have merit, but you live in the suburbs, don't you?
>>
>>1164432
I don't think that's needed if you choose wood suited for outdoor use
>>
The more work and pride you put into a fence the more upset you will be when some dumb nigger tags it. Fences should be utilitarian.
>>
>>1164547
>> One idiot throws a cigarette butt in there it will go up in flames.

This man has never started a campfire in his life.
>>
>>1164007
This , fuck yankee pseudo-urbanites
>>
>>1164502
Dman nigga I loved Mother Earth News
>>
>>1164001
>trees are actually the domain of the feds.
You're a dumb-ass, aren't you?
>>
>>1164107
>Until u dont pay your property tax
It's not "your" property tax. That is government propaganda.
It's their property tax. You don't own their tax.
>>
>>1164502
>One article showed a house built this way, using mortar for the gaps.
It's called "cob construction", and is still done.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.