[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /diy/ I'm an engineer and want to do handy man work

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 8

File: free.jpg (330KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
free.jpg
330KB, 750x500px
Hi /diy/

I'm an engineer and want to do handy man work on the side part time for some extra cash, how should I go about this? I don't have any handyman experience. I could do some work for free/ volunteer to get experience, but I feel like that would make me a total cuck. So I'd rather not do it that way. Problem is, why should anyone pay me to fix something around there house if I don't have prior handyman experience?
>>
>>1162302
Volunteer to build an orphanage in Tijuana? Offer your services to a homeless shelter/church etc? Y
>>
>>1162303
So I should put aside my pride and temporarily work for free?
>>
>>1162304
Well, wouldn't doing it for a good cause be a source of pride?
>>
>>1162322
I don't know, I feel like that line of thinking is how you get cucked. My first engineering internship was unpaid, and my next two were paid. Looking back I'm embarrassed I did an internship for free. But I was younger and more naive then
>>
>>1162322
I want to keep my dignity intact
>>
Buy a good heavy framing hammer, a shitload of nails, and a couple blocks of wood. Watch a few youtubes about "how to hammer a nail." Practice hammering the nails.

No, seriously. I just watched a twenty something techy looking for side work try and hammer a nail to mount a gfci conduit box to a framed 2x4. He asked if we could use a nail gun instead. I told him I could show him how to hammer a nail, or he could take trash out to the trailer.
>>
>>1162325
There's a difference between working for free to bring in money for a company, and working to help others. Stop worrying about being a 'cuck' and basing your decisions off unscrutable criteria, or else you already are a faggot.
>>
>>1162332
aight son, I see that you're saying. I'll look for some volunteer work that is nonprofit so I'm not a beta cuck when I do it
>>
>>1162302
Tell a contractor you will work for minimum wage if . He will teach u. Work for 3-6 months part time, start laying wood floor and tile and oatchibg sheet rock. Call your old boss and sub work out at cost if u get stuck so u dont look like a faggot and he gets work.
>>
Do what I did, help out in a reserve, you know, those protected areas where volunteers go to. They normally feed you and give you where to stay, later you can hook up jobs there, I'm sure they need a bit of everything.
It's a LOT of work, though.
>>
>>1162302
>doesn't know how to do something
>wants to be able to make money off
Gotta love this country

Go mow a lawn, sonny. Even you should be able to pull that off.
>>
>>1162302
You got three options. Lie if you know enough to do good work. Work for a charity for a lil while like Helping Hands. Or go be some handy man's tool bitch for a while and learn.
>>
>>1162417
how would one go about the third option ?
>>
>>1162417
>>1162420

I'm also interested in this answer
>>
File: 1492330736987.jpg (23KB, 355x236px) Image search: [Google]
1492330736987.jpg
23KB, 355x236px
I knew of this dude who was a naked handy man. No idea if he actually fixed things or if he just fucked old ladies for money. Either way, he's living the dream.

In the meantime you can practice making sandwiches. Pic related.
>>
>>1162455

what?
>>
File: 1427937013482.gif (517KB, 147x162px) Image search: [Google]
1427937013482.gif
517KB, 147x162px
>>1162455
> fucking old ladies
> living the dream
>>
>>1162455

Na man...reminds me of that movie with Woody Harrelson and Randy Quaide...Woody played a washed up bowling pro that had to 'service' his 900 year old landlady...
Vision of that shit haunts me to this day desu...
>>
Habitat for Humanity?
After a couple small jobs, research how to get your journeyman ticket, and make the hours count.
>>
>>1162459
Nightmares are dreams too
>>
File: Nostalgia Faggot.png (201KB, 595x323px) Image search: [Google]
Nostalgia Faggot.png
201KB, 595x323px
>>1162532
>>
>>1162302
>how should I go about this? I don't have any handyman experience.

You don't. The entire reason someone hires a handyman is that they have skills and experience. Unfortunately, the very nature of the job requires that you have these in a wide range of tasks.

As stated, the fastest way to do this is to go help an actual handyman, and stop calling people to fix problems around the house.

Short of that, IDK what to really tell you. Just wanting to randomly up and be a handyman is kind of weird. It's one of the few things that you really do just kind of have a natural penchant for, and end up falling into it. That's how I ended up with my job. Had skills and experience from /diy/life, large church facility needed a maintenance guy, and I needed work.

I'll be blunt, though: If you actually couldn't figure out how to git gud on your own, you're going to fail at this line of work. The entire point of the job is figuring out how to solve specific problems. Often, when it comes to specifics, problems you haven't even seen before. If you can't do that (and, given that you posted this at all, I don't think you can), you're going to suck at your job. And, worse, you're going to make the next guy's harder.
>>
>>1162541
literally commit suicide
>>
>>1162541
OP here

When I say I have no experience, I mean particularly in the area of working on homes.
I have experience building/ fixing things as an engineer and know how to use a variety of tools. However. none of this has been applied to working on homes. I only have experience working in process facilities.
>>
>>1162541
>>1162557

also I'm early twenties
>>
>>1162302
are you seriously telling me you can make it through engineering school but you can't figure out how to do stuff that illiterate immigrants and meth heads do on a daily basis?

get some tools. watch some youtube videos.
>>
>>1162561
I know I'm capable of doing the work. The problem is if I have never worked as a handyman on a house why would anyone hire me. Do you think someone would hire a guy to work on their house who has only been an engineer in a production facility? I just want some direct experience before I can confidently advertise myself as a solo handyman for pay
>>
>>1162565
are you a rent cuck? go build something in your backyard.
>>
>>1162578
Yes I rent, so I don't have much to fix around here
>>
>>1162581
then i'd suggest taking that engineering wage and buying a fixer upper house.
>>
>>1162420
>>1162425
Call people and ask if you can lend a hand and learn something. If you're not a dumbass they'll probably say okay.
>>
I started at 27 as a handyman helper. Did it for a few months while looking to get into hvac, so i woul say do that. Find a handyman in your area who needs a helper on jobs you want to do. Pay in the usa for no experience starts at $10/hr typically. Work for several, dont be surprised when one up and disappears without paying you. Borrow his tools, buy the ones you use the most. Get gud.

Also your engineering knowledge is almost worthless here. I have a BS and none of the shit i learned past 9th grade has been useful. You will bleed, and they will laugh at you.
>>
>>1162561
>but you can't figure out how to do stuff that illiterate immigrants and meth heads do on a daily basis?

Well maybe he means doing it well

Also, usually they have a very specific job to do and nothing else. The framers just frame and nothing else. As the houses near me were being built the skill level and expertise gradually got higher and unsurprisingly the people got whiter. Meth heads > brown immigrants > white immigrants (they were Russian) > some white dudes doing HVAC > slick white dude selling the shit
>>
>>1162654
You have a b.s. in engineering?
>>
>>1162629
what are the chances of meeting a cute handyman these days?
>>
File: 1491622736262.jpg (17KB, 258x358px) Image search: [Google]
1491622736262.jpg
17KB, 258x358px
>>1162302
The problem is that youre an engineer and you are trying to do manual labor to make " EXTRA CASH". Doesnt add up bud. That college engineering degree was supposed to be so that you didnt have to do shit work to catch up financially...

Why not just buy a lawnmower and start cutting grass.. Or get a bmx bike and delivering newspapers. Cuckboy
>>
>>1162690
Why don't you end your life FAGGOT
>>
>>1163117
You do realize this guy is baiting you... You need to lurk more.

Also, >>1162690 is right. You go to college to progress past the life stage you are currently in. You sound foolish right now. Not trying to piss on you but it's the truth.

You would have to start as a laborer, learn to help, perfect your trade (apprenticeship), and journeyman out. How are you going to be competitive without the knowledge and experience? What you will do is fuck somebody's shit up and if the customer has any brains will not hire you.
>>
>>1162302
>engineer
>handy man work on the side part time for some extra cash

if you are underpaid as an engineer change your job (unless you are shitty engineer)
>>
>>1162326
>I want to keep my dignity intact
You're posting on 4chan, mate.
>>
Find an apartment complex or rental houses. Contact the owner/manager and offer to help/volunteer in exchange for learning some skills. Apartments have ongoing problems such as broken doors/windows/sinks/toilets and that kind of shit. I worked with my dad's friend on his apartments and learned a lot of shit that way.

This would probably only work if the owners were local, and not corporate dickheads.

Workman's comp/safety is a factor to think about when using power tools and working on ghetto apartments.
>>
>>1162326
You sound like a real asshole. So you want free training via on the job experience but you're too good to volenteer at Habitat For Humanity!?! I hope the cancer eats away at your brain real, real slow...
>>
>>1163739
Why should we build houses for people who had three kids without the means to support them?
>>
Decent Engineers are NEVER out of work, so something doesn't add up. Particularly if you're on site and on the tools.

Where do you live? I run a small engineering and site services firm that looks after process plants, and I ALWAYS need good site engineers, but I'm in the UK.
>>
File: 1477186623264.jpg (42KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
1477186623264.jpg
42KB, 600x800px
What's the best way to swing this on weeknights or weekends?

I sit on my ass all day and want to make a little spare cash for rent. Just got a welder fwiw.
>>
>>1164972
>Just got a welder fwiw.

What processes do you weld and how skilled are you?
>>
File: IMG_20170415_213238.jpg (2MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170415_213238.jpg
2MB, 3120x4160px
>>1164974
Just got it, so like Etsy art tier? 110 or 220v Flux and MIG. Pretty cool and great tool to have around, just want to justify the $$$. Pic related from rebar scrap and 4 hours.
>>
File: IMG_20170329_191454.jpg (4MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170329_191454.jpg
4MB, 4160x3120px
>>1164978
Can't picture rebar targets being financially rewarding though.

Trying to think of some tacky, artsy fad think that women pay stupid money for.
>>
>>1164983
Artisan rebar dildos?
>>
>>1165030
already ribbed for their pleasure!
>>
>>1165031
You mean rusted, pitted, and covered in slag for her pleasure.
>>
>>1165035
you mean a quality source of daily iron?
>>
>>1164978
If you made these so they could be broken down and transported easier I'd buy one.
>>
>>1162541
This guy is right. Being a handyman is not about education or having anything more than basic /diy/ experience - its about being a problem solver.

Your job is not to replace a plumber or an HVAC guy.

Your job is to fix problems that are too small to call a professional for.

>>1162565
You're a fucking self employed handyman. Nobody is going to ask for your phd because NOBODY GIVES A FUCK. Stop overthinking shit and making excuses.

They call, you show up, you fix the problem, and you fuck off to the next one.
Thats it.
You could have an ad on craigslist in 15 minutes and be on your first job today.

What the fuck are you waiting for.
Start now and figure shit out as you go.
>>
>>1162302

I just got on a FEMA/MCC volunteer job rebuilding houses in Saipan. Airfare paid both ways, food and lodging covered, plus 25(?) a day for expenses. Since it's nearly 100F on a tropical island, they don't want you working for more than a set number of hours, so the rest is free time. These things go out like every 3 weeks.

Bringing along a plumbing friend of mine when I head out next month.
>>
>>1162302
It sucks big fucken time, and it's humiliating, but general labourer/assistant in a shop is the way to get started doing that.
>>
>>1164008
If nothing else then for the children who would otherwise have no home? I get it, poor people are usually poor because of their own shitty decisions in life, but their children really have no control over that. Besides, it's not like you're building a mansion on a fifty acre property for them.
>>
>>1162302
What kind of engineering field are you in that you need to do manual labor to supplement your income?
>>
>>1162326
Holy shit voulenteering and helping others doesn't make you a cuck you fucking mong.
>>
>>1162466
Kingpin?
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.