[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Need to replace just 2 windows on a 20 year old house >"Durrrr

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 3

File: rush-limbaugh.jpg (38KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
rush-limbaugh.jpg
38KB, 800x450px
>Need to replace just 2 windows on a 20 year old house
>"Durrrr we don't have this window size anymore"
>Costs almost the same as replacing all of the windows in a house

Can someone please explain to me this scam? I see brand new houses with almost the exact same windows being used. I'm seriously just going to fuck all and do this shit myself, I refuse to pay some fat fuck contractor $10k just because 2 out of 30 windows went to shit.
>>
>>1162068
This is why you shop around.

Or it could be that the type of window that you are trying to buy is expensive to have made in a custom size. Most window installers don't make their own windows anymore. They buy them premade from a factory that is highly automated. Custom sizes mean a lot of human work and a higher price.
>>
>>1162073
Trust me, it's standard and not some weird triangle shaped bullshit.

How many variations can you make of a simple fucking rectangle? You're right though eventually I'll get a good quote.
>>
Size down to the nearest standard size window and trim it in. Most municipalities will let you do this because of how expensive the extra inch between standard size windows costs.
>>
>>1162079
Windows are a highly mechanized industry now. You can get them fabricated, but you need to understand that with age comes costs. This is just one of them. You could try fabricating your own windows, but that's some shit you want done properly.
>>
>>1162068
30 windows? Jesus fuck OP, are you the guy that buys a Corvette and bitches about the cost to insure it?
>>
>>1162103

>will let you do this

Who the hell stops you from trimming a window?
>>
>>1162068
>30 windows

Have you tried installing MacOS?
>>
>>1162172

Make sure to let us know when you grow up and move into a real neighborhood with an HOA
>>
>>1162244

>I am too grown up to know the difference between a municipality and an HOA

I would have to move to a different country to buy a house in a HOA but your regular cuck laws are too strict for me anyway so I don't know how you guys handle the HOA level of cucking
>>
>>1162173
cover up with plywood, install gentoo
>>
File: 1492181994987.gif (2MB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
1492181994987.gif
2MB, 200x150px
>>1162244
>buy property
>let other people tell you what you can do on it
>>
>>1162260
land of the free.
>>
>>1162260
starting a fight with and executing a black teen: good
painting your house the wrong shade of green: GET THE FUCK OUT OF TOWN
>>
>>1162068
>buy custom window
>install them
Should be well under $1500 for those nice double hung, double pane inert gas filled vinyl windows.

Unless you're talking about some huge picture windows, like 8 feet by 6 feet.
>>
>>1162244
Let me know when you get a real job and can afford a mini mansion with lake access, 3 acres on any side, and your own private road.
>>
>>1162103
/Thread
>>
>>1162068
Used to sell windows. Call one of those cheao ass lowes brand window salesman for a "free estimate" let him hard sale you on sgitty windows for 3 hours and then offer about 70% of that he wuotes u and do not budge. If he leaves call another.

Instalation included.

If u wanna pay about 1k per windo you can get triple oayne kripton fulled low e coatech cynil clad aluminum windows that fold in so u can clean them. Bathroom has to be safety rated and oversize windows u may as well wall off.
>>
>>1162103
This is how we usually do it anyway. Window manufacturers are bums and always fuck our orders up. Just shim it square and fill the gap with foam, maybe get some bigger trim if you need to cover the gap.

tl;dr just caulk it bro
>>
Yeah, my 5'9x5'9 window from an OLD as fuck house is starting to die, and the window costs me a ridiculous fortune, might as well just seal it with fucking bricks.
>>
>>1162068

Single or double glazed? Custom manufacturing a double glazed window is going to cost you.

A custom sized bit of plate or strengthened glass should cost bugger fuck all though, at least it does over here in my densely populated commie/muslim European country.

There are some old ways to DIY double glazing by putting an air hole (with some filter material) from the inner space to outside. Or you could throw some gel packs in to eat the moisture I guess.
>>
>>1162310
...but can't afford windows...
>>
File: 1492353172901m.jpg (112KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1492353172901m.jpg
112KB, 768x1024px
>>1162068
I was looking for Windows for my ranch home that was built in 58. At least a dozen Windows. So many shit quotes and scammer contractors trying to rake me over because "muh HERO program"

> the government is gonna pay for it, bro.
> taxes? Fuck that shit.

Found a real supplier that made their own Windows. Quote was 7k but I'm too poor to pull the trigger. Need a new roof. :(
>>
>>1162244
>HOA
I'd rather kill myself than have Ted and Dolores send me condescending and threatening letters because 1 blade of grass in my lawn is the wrong shade of green.
>>
>>1162393
Just cut your own glass. No one needs that argon gas bullshit.
>>
>>1162068
what exactly is the problem with the window?
is it double glazed or single?
just to replace the glass?
you can get custom double glazed panels made up to drop in for no real extra cost, custom panels are made all the time to accommodate holes for fans, cat flaps etc.. different sizes are not an issue.
you are asking the wrong people, speak to a glazier not a double glazing salesman.
>>
>>1162438
You faggot, I just spit milk out of my nose.
>>
>>1162449
Everyone says this until they have a neighbor who has two broken cars in their overgrown lawn, kids toys thrown everywhere and music playing 24/7. It only takes one of these cunts to drive down property values of the whole street. Once property values fall, it attracts even more of these scum.
>>
>>1162503
My neighbors are far enough away that I wouldn't care or even really notice if they had crap on their lawn. I can definitely see the purpose in one of those cookie cutter neighborhoods with the sign out front and identical McMansions, but who wants to live there anyway?
>>
>>1162244

I would actively go to great lengths to avoid living under HOA.

That shit is absolute fucking cancer. I didn't buy my house to be a plastic-wrapped collectible, I bought it to live in.
>>
>>1162503
...says the local HOA President.
>>
>>1162503
whatever. i don't plan on living on a 4000 sq ft cuck lot.
>>
>>1162503
Except there are city ordinances that remediate all these idiotic hypotheticals, and HOAs take in sane amounts of money to which nobody has any idea what the money does.
>>
>>1162698
>which nobody has any idea what the money does

If only there were some way to get records from the HOA....

It's incredibly rare for city ordinances to cover such things as keeping a tidy yard, not painting your house an obnoxious color, etc. It only takes one idiot to start the neighborhood in a downward spiral.

They can be abused, for sure, but that's the cost if having community amenities and protecting property values.
>>
>>1162703
Pay thousands of dollars over the years to be told what to do with your house. In exchange, they protect you from a boogeyman neighbors that don't maintain their lawn, paint the house pink, and have rusted cars in the driveway.

Oh boy!
>>
>>1162708
It's not for everyone, anon. Some people have alot of their net worth tied up in their home and they want some reassurance that the neighborhood won't go to shit.
>>
>>1162260

>Buy property
>Cletus lived there before you, did all of his own wiring
>You plug in a hairdryer and die

>Buy property
>Previous owner and buddy decided to install deck themselves, didn't bother to get permits
>Deck collapses three years later and crushes your dog

>Buy property
>Previous owner wanted to save money and "fixed" all of the windows himself
>10 years later your walls are rotted out from the water seeping in

There are some things that you shouldn't need to get permits for, but you have to keep in mind that somebody in the future will probably own the property.

If you're a city, it's a lot easier to deal with it ahead of time than deal with it later.

If you're a home buyer, you at least can see what work was done.
>>
>>1162713
Conversely, the city permit and planning board can be over-bearing. In Los Angeles, you're supposed to pull a permit for simple shit like replacing a toilet, faucet, or lightswitch. $40 permit to replace a $10 part. Yeah, thats why there are so many unlicensed "handymen" that just do work for cash.

Deck collapsing 3 years after you've used it? Sounds like negligence of current owner for not identifying potential safety hazards.
>>
>>1162716
I don't disagree.

I'm trying to build a chicken coop right now, and there are 3 separate committees/councils/boards I have to go through before I can "legally" build it.

Several neighbors have coops that are clearly not registered as they are nowhere near the regulations required for the city. I've questioned several times if I should just say fuck it and build anyway.

Needing a permit for anything like a faucet or light switch is insane.

The deck thing was just a hyperbolic example, but I'm always amazed at how little people actually seem to know about home maintenance and repair.
>>
>>1162503
Why would you ever want to live in suburba?
>>
>>1162727
Close to a city without actually living among the filth. Kids get to play with friends. Wife gets to bullshit with other housewives. Etc, etc.
>>
>>1162728
Why would you ever want to live in a city? Why not move the the country?
>>
>>1162729
Shopping, work, Craigslist, high speed internet
>>
>>1162068
One of my neighbors had a break in where they smashed one of his windows that are next to 2 other windows and he had the same story so he took one of the windows from his house that was placed alone and put it where the smashed one was and then had to buy a single window of the new sizes where he took the window from in his house
>>
>>1162244
Let me know when you grow up and live on acerage without your neighbors screeching at you about having an antenna or nonstandard grass lengths.
>>
>>1162503
>Implying that's assured if you don't have a HOA
>Implying the only way to fight it is through an HOA
>Not buying a house to keep it
>>
>>1162713
None of that is anything to do with an HOA. All of that is what construction codes & inspection are for.
>>
>>1162068
Are the windows really that bad? Can't you just replace the glass and/or fix what's wrong with the frame?
>>
>>1162703
>muh property values

This is your god
>>
>>1162068
Window salesmen are the biggest Jews out there
>>
>>1162721
Tfw you can't even raise chickens due to retarded zoning laws
>>
What?
I work for an architect and we order weird sized windows all the time. Doing extensions on buildings and replacing old windows we make to match the original sizes so they don't look out of place. End up with all sorts of weird sizes since so many houses in yurop were built before all of this was automated.

We just choose an appropriate profile from a manufacturer and the window contractor makes them. Comes to couple of hundred quid unless its massive or specialty.
>>
>>1163456
Well, on the flip side of that coin; chickens make a bunch of noise and dust, not to mention possibility of airborne diseases. A lot of yuppies buy chickens to have fresh eggs whenever they want, and usually end up with more chickens than they could give away and it makes a problem.
>>
>>1163572
I only need like one or two chickens Jesus
>>
>>1163573
Do you really -need- those chickens, though, or do you just -want- chickens?
>>
>>1163589
I would like to have them,they would be secluded by forsythia so the noise and smell should be kept to a minimum

I have about 1/4 acre of space that could be used for chickens

Fuck local zoning laws
>>
>>1162703
I don't know about "incredibly rare"
I live in a middling/meh-tier suburb, older area not the brand-new hyperdevelopment towns that ring the other edges of the area. This city (and the 5 bordering) all have code enforcement offices and strict responses to things like cars in front yards, unregistered/broken cars parked on the street or driveway, high grass and even peeling paint or eternally-unfinished construction work.

And this is texas, not some kind of commie sos'shlist state what allows for'ners or ho-mo-sexes 'round these parts.
>>
>>1162713

Where do you live, and are you actually under a HOA?

If so, I would like to come over pretending to be the new HOA inspector and attempt to scam you into paying me stupid sums of money for essentially nothing, because you clearly have no idea what an HOA is actually supposed to cover.

All of that shit is covered by electrical and building codes, be it on the federal, state, or municipal level. A HOA is explicitly for protecting the property values of you neighbors by dictating what you can do with your house.

Given that, you can see why /diy/ generally hates them. It goes directly against the practical and creative mindset that most here practice, and the personal freedom and self-reliance gained from it. Worse, there are tendencies for any given HOA to overreach greatly, attempting to cover things that neighbors and passersby have no right or business nosing into.

Personally, I don't want a fucking thing to do with them. If not for the restrictions themselves, then for the types of vapid, self-absorbed people that tend to live under them. As long as it's got water, electric, and isn't TOO far a drive from the city centers, I'll take the country house every time
>>
>>1162503
>music playing 24/7
Noise ordinance laws passed at the municipal level.

They're not that difficult to change.
>>
>>1162732
I live in east dogfuck nowhere and I have 250 up, 250 down fiber service.

When I lived in the city, the top package was 25 down 2 up and had outages weekly.
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.