[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What garden partition has the best blend of: >privacy >low

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 13

File: groene-beukenhaag.jpg (110KB, 620x360px) Image search: [Google]
groene-beukenhaag.jpg
110KB, 620x360px
What garden partition has the best blend of:
>privacy
>low maintenance
>durability

At the moment I have a beech hedge (pic related), which is nice in summer and only has to be trimmed once a year, but is virtually see-through during winter.

Anything goes: other types of hedges, wooden walls, etc.
Just nothing that I have to trim two-three times a year or falls apart after a few years.
>>
Try something in the yew genus, I think Japanese Yews are most common but there a lot of types. Evergreen, so no concerns about winter, pretty resilient and easy to trim.
>>
cyprus trees

>evergreen
>minimal trimming
>>
>>1161794
weeping podocarpus

very hardy, doesn't need much water, likes full sun or shade. only downside is they drop leaves (like pine needles).
>>
>>1161804
These have really bad pollen and are poisonous. FUCK YEW.

thuja green giant, leyland/murray cypress, or bamboo
>>
>>1161794
Bamboo
>>
>>1162036
>>1162112
I heard many times that bamboo is filth that propagates like crazy and is impossible to get rid of.
>>
>>1162116
There are two main types of bamboos, clumping bamboos and running bamboos. Clumping bamboos grow in slowly-expanding (between 2" and 1' in diameter per year) stands and are easily managed while running bamboos can JUST your entire garden in a hurry if you don't contain them properly when you plant them.
>>
>>1162112
>>1162124

Yeah, if you're gonna do a bamboo hedge, you might as well do it right and just put in Chinese honeysuckle, or kudzu. All the same shit, different Latin name. My vote would be either taxus (yew), probably hicksi because it's columnar, or columnar white pine. I think boxwood would be pretty and classy, but would take too long to become the tall hedge you want. Actually, English ivy on a trellis would be the classy as well, but could also take over.
>>
>>1162124
Intradesting. I always liked the look of bamboo, gonna look into this.

>>1162129
And this yew, it doesn't require trimming?
>>
>>1161794
You could try a japanese privet. Everybody hates privets but if you shear it as a hedge it wont really produce the berries
>>
>>1162134
You could do it once a year, like you said in the OP, probably after the new growth has hardened off. Depends on the season, how much rain, how neat and tidy you like things looking, etc. It won't take over though.
>>
>>1162134
Bamboos are fun. If you live in the south, you can grow timber bamboos that grow a foot a day for two months.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170416-122142.png (1MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170416-122142.png
1MB, 1080x1920px
Cedar trees?
>>
>>1161830
they grow massive quickly and bollocks are they minimal trimming, theyre literally a hell plant
>>
So nobody in favor of some kind of wall or fence instead of plants?
>>
>>1161794
Russian olive.
>>
File: 1471911427107.jpg (487KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
1471911427107.jpg
487KB, 2048x1152px
>>1163504
>wall

Different purpose anon.
>>
>>1161794
barbed wire and imitation-wood fence

>privacy
literally can't see through it

>low maintenance
NO maintenance

>durability
as fuck
>>
>>1161794

Hedera stays green and if you're willing to spend enough money you can buy already populated screens.

You have to keep it under control though, so discuss with your neighbour.
>>
>>1161794
>Beech
>Seethrough in the winter
Wot? Do you remove the old leaves in the fall or something? My beech hedges keep their leaves all winter and have only just now dropped them with the new leaves coming out.
>>
>>1161794
its a shame nobody builds with brick any more (at least on the left coast)
>privacy
brick is pretty opaque
>low maintenance
brick is pretty chill
>durability
brick is pretty strong

throw some english ivy on there for maximum style
>>
>>1163615
>imitation-wood fence
So what is it actually made of?
>>
>>1163853
Stone wall/fence is also aesthetic as fuck and fits the desired criteria, but may be prohibitively expensive upfront
>>
>>1163853
One thing about garden walls is they go to shit REAL quick-like.

A concrete wall is probably a lot more durable, but you (and your neighbor) have to like the look.
>>
>>1163813
He probably meant hornbeam. Some beech varieties lose their leaves earlier than others though.
>>
>>1164063
Old milk jugs.
>>
you could do some nice redwood slat fences, i replaced the whole decrepit backyard fence with those for my folks a couple summers ago to help pay for school

use those rabbeted panels that slide into one another to eliminate gaps, or install the panels offset overlapping each other on either side of the frame for privacy and to let more air thru (if you dont want the fence to block all the breeze in your backyard).

just plant the posts properly so they dont rot out and collapse your new fence within 3 years

these can get good privacy, you can replace or reinforce the slats if they start sagging or rotting, not super durable but probably cheaper than stone and easier than hedges. looks damn good too

couldnt find a pic of the rabbeted fence slats but this siding is pretty much the same thing, allows the wood to swell and shrink without leaving huge gaps in between
>>
>>1161794
Could have a wood fence with hedge either side. Just looks like a hedge in summer, but you get privacy in winter.
>>
File: 6-Black-Colorbond-Fence.jpg (128KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
6-Black-Colorbond-Fence.jpg
128KB, 800x600px
a basic colorbond fence. no maintenance. doesnt change color. comes in any color or height.
>>
File: brompton_hedgelaying.jpg (2MB, 2048x1158px) Image search: [Google]
brompton_hedgelaying.jpg
2MB, 2048x1158px
Do some proper hedging
>>
>>1167086
Not sure what to think of that.
Looks like they tried to make a woven screen, but used branches that were way too thick so they just kind of stacked them.
>>
File: hedgemaster.jpg (170KB, 640x437px) Image search: [Google]
hedgemaster.jpg
170KB, 640x437px
>>1167194
thats how traditional hedgerows are made, you grow a ton of saplings straight up then whack the base a bit and lay them down on each other

if you do it right then they heal and grow together much denser than they could otherwise be

this is one being made at the national hedgelaying championship in the uk, which is apparently a thing
>>
>>1167243
>hedgemaster
I bet he's just drowning in pussy.
>>
>>1167256
He doesn't need to worry, the man lays hedges on the regular.
>>
Plant english ivy at the base of the trees. It's evergreen and will get trimmed when you trim your bushes. It will fill the gaps for the winter months. Only draw back is it could kill the trees eventually.
>>
File: IMG_8534.jpg (26KB, 500x401px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8534.jpg
26KB, 500x401px
>>1167243
Now that I have discovered this is a thing I need to figure out how to do this at my house, the deer are relentless
>>
File: A2-3.jpg (69KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
A2-3.jpg
69KB, 600x450px
What about this kind of canvas/net thing?
>>
nellie r stevens holly. Planted some of these on the edge of my property 10 years ago.

They are supposed to get to be 25ft tall, but mine are easily over 30ft now. They have thorny leaves so no one will want to walk through them. Plant them about 8ft apart and pretty quickly you will have a low maintenance wall.

I've seen them trimmed into a nice square hedge before, but I don't bother. They get to be 5 to 10 ft wide.

I had to water them the first year they were in ground, other than that I haven't done anything but watch them grow.
>>
>>1168901
How often do you have to trim?
>>
>>1168902
to be honest I don't ever trim them.
>>
>>1168907
And they look like this >>1168901
after 10 years?

Is this because you're in an arid climate, or is that just how the plant grows?
>>
File: IMG_20130521_111102.jpg (184KB, 700x933px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20130521_111102.jpg
184KB, 700x933px
>>1168908
I'm in Georgia around Atlanta. That's a picture from google. Mine are much taller. This picture is of mine
>>
File: IMG_20130521_111105.jpg (214KB, 700x933px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20130521_111105.jpg
214KB, 700x933px
>>1168930
>>
>>1168931
That actually looks like it makes a nice hedge. Doesn't even look to be that thick.
>>
>>1168934
they're probably 5 to 10 feet wide, maybe wider at spots. If you're into birds tons of them nest in the hollys. Thick enough that you can't see through, and very hardy.

If you're lazy like me you never need to trim them or water them (after the first season) they do fine on their own. The leaves have sharp edges so nobody will try to walk through them. I put mine about 8 feet apart, If you put them 5 feet apart I'll bet you get a thicker hedge.
>>
>>1161794
So one that I've been thinking about for when I have a need, is a bamboo hedge.
if you make it a few feet wide then it will still block the view with the stems in the winter, even though the leaves fall off. Depending on climate, some bamboos just have the leaves turn brown and not fall off in winter.

>>1162116
>>1162124
The key is you NEED a concrete planter to keep the runners from spreading and having a fight. so you can dig a hole, pour a concrete planter barrier, and plant away. Bamboo pretty much only propagates through runners, although it does spread seeds on a 70-120 year schedule.

>>1162129
>>1162134
>>1162338
I second, my research agrees that clumpers spread 0-2 feet per year, and runners spread 3-5 feet on average, in perfect conditions runners can do 15 feet in a year though.

for concrete, 90% of the spreading part of the roots stays shallower than 12 inches, but going to 30 inches will make it basically impossible for it to grow past.

Also, apparently when you cut them they stop growing up, and as long as you leave enough branches on the bottom part keep growing wider. So you may still want to prune once a year at the end of Spring when the bamboo has stopped growing up (bamboo only grows up for 2-3 months, then it just grows leaves and in width) if you want to keep them from getting too tall so the leaves can't drift too far out of the stand.

>>1165773
I have actually seen a super durable looking semi industrial version of this. I-beam looking steel posts, just take out old boards and replace with stack of new planks into the slots every few years. I think they were that type of steel used in playgrounds, that gets a brown patina but doesn't flake rust and lasts for like 50 years?
>>
>>1168975

>>1162116
>>1162124
>>1162129
>>1162134
Yeah, people in the 50's planted tons of bamboo and kudzu etc because it was "exotic asian", and didn't know what varieties. Builders at the time just wanted quick ground cover because cheap landscaping for quick homes, so really quick aggressive easy to grow (= grows everywhere) was what was available.

Also, one downside I just found out while looking up sources for this, bamboo may attract paper wasps some, because it's an easy source of wood fibers. That's only one factor wasps look for for nests, though.

One upside is that bamboo shoots are edible and good for you, although are a bit bitter to eat on their own.

Also, you don't need concrete planters, and they can be a mild problem because the concrete lowers the Ph of the soil, any kind of solid barrier will work, so plastic or metal would work fine. 30" below and 2" above the soil level.
>>
>>1161794
this - >>1161830
>>1163248
>quickly
what do you mean quickly? i have ton of them and they grow slow the 2+m ones i have got plantet like 10+ years ago
>>1162112
kek i wanted to plant it woudl by funn have full garden of it - pissing of neigors, not nieding to trim the fcking grass, people geting lost in the maze... :^)
>>
>>1167086
now that's hedgy
>>
I would use Prunus laurocerasus 'Rotundifolia', Prunus lusitanica or Photinia fraseri 'Red Robin'.

All are fast growing (unlike Yew), easy to establish, easy to control (unlike bamboo), opaque, not spiky and easy to maintain (again unlike most the suggestions here). Also all grow into a hedge from 1m to 5m or taller
>>
>>1169462
Forgot to mention, cypress, Leylandii and cupressus and similar are all fine so long as you're careful when cutting them. If you cut any part of it too far it will never grow back. Also if left untrimmed they will grow into massive trees. Unlike the suggestions I gave above.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.